Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Interior Cleaning and Restoration > Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning

Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Default Dog urine on carpet

A friend came to visit today and she brought her new puppy with her. Unfortunately for me, the dog decided to use my carpet as a bathroom and left a huge stain. What is the best method for cleaning a pet urine stain from carpet?

Thanks.

Brad
BigBradNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #2

use a mild carpet cleaning chemical and use a deodorizer or an antiseptic agent to remove the odor...don't use anything strong for it might further damage the carpet...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #3

The absolute best thing I have used is a mixture that was made to get rid of skunk odor, its chemically able to break down the urine crystals that form. Use a bottle of peroxide, about half a cup of baking soda, and a couple of spoonfuls of Dawn. You mix it up and apply, let it sit for about five minutes, then blot it out. It works like a charm.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

I know there are some enzyme style cleaners that can be purchased at pet stores that seem to work rather well, without damaging the carpeting. What does everyone else think of these?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #5

I would use a combination of two products... Sol-U-Mel and Tough and Tender. They are both environmentally friendly, so they will not be harmful to dogs or kids who may get the cleaner on them while playing on the carpet. (dogs walk on carpet, then lick their paws, and infants put EVERYTHING in their mouths.) The Sol-U-Mel will help remove any odor associated with the urine, and the tough and tender will clean it very well. I just had to do this same method for a sick dog on my white rug, and white bedding! She had eaten a Christmas bone, colored red (not a good idea to begin with) and she ended up vomiting all over the house.
penner.prosperity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #6

Are both those products enzyme based that will actually break down the organic material or are they a detergent based product that separates the mess from the fibers?
I'm really curious about the enzyme stuff and what everyone else thinks about it.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

Do you have a separate email I can send you a response to? Sorry, I do not have a very straight answer, but I can give you all product and label information I have for both of these cleaners. I just do not want to be a space hog on the forum. (In order to give you the best answer I can, there is quite a bit of information.)
penner.prosperity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencleaning View Post
Use a bottle of peroxide, about half a cup of baking soda, and a couple of spoonfuls of Dawn. You mix it up and apply, let it sit for about five minutes, then blot it out. It works like a charm.
Will this work if the stain is a few weeks old or only if you apply this mixed up solution immediately the the carpet?
BigBradNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecleaner View Post
Are both those products enzyme based that will actually break down the organic material or are they a detergent based product that separates the mess from the fibers?
I'm really curious about the enzyme stuff and what everyone else thinks about it.
Enzymes work rather well if applied properly but can be expensive. I'll let you in on a secret, most steak tenderizers contain papaya enzymes that work just as good. Just add warm water to a tablespoon to activate and your good to go.
Love_Buffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #10

Enz-All is a great enzyme based cleaner (typically used in restaurants) but could work for this purpose. What would bother me though, is that in most cases, the urine is soaked past the backing and into the padding. You could use a Water Claw, but IMO, I would remove/replace the padding, then clean the carpet with an enzyme based cleaner with a good Pet Odor Neutralizer.
UltraBrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #11

That is a great tip about the steak tenderizers. I'll have to try that one next time I run into a problem.
I have used two different brands and they both worked pretty well. But, you are right, most of the time you do need to replace the pad.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #12

baking soda !

http://www.bbcleaningservice.com
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #13

Avoid using ammonia based products to clean dog urine. One of the ingredients of dog urine is ammonia and he may well be encouraged to re-offend in the same area turning it into a toilet.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBee View Post
baking soda !
Baking soda deodorises. It will not remove the stain. It may lessen the smell. Use a mild cleaning product and blot carefully.
Marie Dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #15

As Marie mentioned a mild cleaning product, I found a recipe that should work - mixture of vinegar, dish-washing liquid and water. The catch is that this solution should be applied when the stain is still wet.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #16

I think that should work

Cleaning Service
Cleaning Services
Cleaning Service New York
BusyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #17

I think the question was what method, not what product....

several products will work, just be sure to rinse it with warm water. either use a rented carpet machine, or pour your solution on and bring it back out with a wet vac.

the enzyme cleaners need to be left in place and kept at certain temps to work properly, so follow directions on the bottle.

non-enzyme cleaners can be rinsed out immediately.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 AM   #18

Well you can try a mixture of baking soda and fresh lemon juice mixed with water. That will remove the stain and the smell.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavas007 View Post
I think the question was what method, not what product....

several products will work, just be sure to rinse it with warm water. either use a rented carpet machine, or pour your solution on and bring it back out with a wet vac.

the enzyme cleaners need to be left in place and kept at certain temps to work properly, so follow directions on the bottle.

non-enzyme cleaners can be rinsed out immediately.

It is not about whether a method or a product... It is about how to remove the stain and odor. So, the more tips the better answer
Old 03-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #20

Default Pet Urine

The good news is that the urine is fresh and it hasn't formed ammonia crystals. You don't need an acidic pretreatment. You could go with the enzymes ex: nature's miracle or you could go with an encapsulent. I prefer odorcide 210. It requires no dwell time like enzymes. It is the best product I have ever used to get rid of the smell permanently. For the yellowing, you may want to try some oxygen bleach, just be sure to rinse it well because leaving an alkaline residue in the carpet will only attract more dirt later

Carpet Cleaning Bellingham

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
april1979 is offline   Reply With Quote