Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Interior Cleaning and Restoration > Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning

Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #1

Default Stain Removal from Plants Overflow

Hello!
I have some potted plants and one them leaked water out of the tray...and stained my oriental rug. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to remove that stain?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
paintdaubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to heavenlyhomes Send a message via Yahoo to heavenlyhomes

I am no carpet cleaner so I do not know how to help you on this matter I do want to address another matter, this thread and one other is the only one with no respnse about using the "Shaklee" product. How about that? I have not been posting due to school and my own work but I do come and read the threads every few days and today WOW All these threads have a reply by someone trying to sell their ! It is rediculous. Give it a rest dude!

Heavenly Homes Interior Housecleaning Louisville, KY
bethconley@insightbb.com
heavenlyhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #3

Is this a true oriental rug? Do you know what type of fiber it has (wool, nylon, olefin, etc. -- it'll be listed on the tag on the back of the rug (if it has one.))

Generally speaking, the area needs to be vacuumed very well, cleaned and then possibly treated with a browning agent.
David Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #4

As David has correctly sugested, cellulostic browning is probably one element of the stain.

However it may also have been attacked by tannic acid from peat in the compost and receive some staining from other elements leached from the compost.

But also, and often this is the irreversible factor, the leakage may have been repeated sufficiently for mould to have grown and caused permanent damage to any natural fibres in the rug.

Professional inspection and advice is advisable.
John Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #5

It depends on what kind of cloth is your oriental rug?? Is it wool, nylon, olefin, etc?? If you are not sure on what to do.. I suggest you must call a carpet cleaning service..
Old 05-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

Default water or plant stain

Most area rugs are wool but some are synthetic. Everyone so far gave very good answers. Without knowing which, a safe way to try would be a simple citric acid product or if you are not a carpet cleaner try 1 part white distilled vinegar and 2 parts water. Now you have an acidic solution. Get a trigger spray bottle and spray a mist on the affected area. Gently brush the solution into the carpet with your hand. Blot up with an old bath towel. You should see the change pretty fast. If that does not work then you have another issue which was mention by another carpet tech.
(925)884-0207
jeff young is offline   Reply With Quote