Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Stain Stain Wont Go Away

10K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Bill 
#1 ·
Hello , Got a problem with a stain. The owner told me that an employee had spilled coffee and wanted me to come in and clean it up. No problem or i thought. My machine always just eats a spot like this up. NOT THIS TIME. We have used coffee break, brown out dye out, and a solivent. And hwe with heat. They did tell me that it had a lot of creamer in it. Its a comm type berber style carpet not just cgd. We have lightend the stain alot but theres still a hint of like a yellowish tint i just cant get rid of. Any help would be great. Thanks :sad:

#3 ·
John has a good point. Acid dyes will change how you treat this. Not incredibly different, but to a point. I would also note that with the addition of creamer (if it is dairy) you also have a protein stain to deal with. I would have also started with cold water extraction, as heat has a tendency to set the stain further on acid dyes. Sounds like the "stain" is now set, and further removal techniques will include products such as Pro's choice Stain Magic, or something similar. I have found coffee stains to be tricky in the past, depending on the type of fibre (olefin, nylon, poly), length of time the spot has been there and whether or not it is fifth generation carpet. If the carpet is nylon, your chances are slim. Help me out if I missed anything, John.

az

#4 ·
Spots Gone

Hello, Thanks for all the tips on this stain problem. We finally got it out persistance paid off. The problem with the stain was that when he spilled the coffee he had also spilled 20 oz of iodine. It sat for 2 weeks with heavy traffic before we were called. Yes it was decaf and yes it was a 5th generation carpet. The spot is barely visible you really have to look to even find it now. Customer was thrilled ( until they recieve the bill) But again thanks for the info. :thumbup:

#6 ·
hey azclean, This carpet is in a fitness center. I dont know for sure how they got spilled together. I was in there one night after several attemps at this stain when a old woman approached me and started talking. We talked about cleaning carpets and spots. She then told me to meet her back there in a half hour she had a home remedy that she wanted me to try.Long story short i met back with her and she handed me a little bottle. She told me to put it on the spot wait 5 min and wipe it up with a rag. When it was time i did as she said and it was amaizing the spot was gone. To the owner i was a hero. I told him about this lady and he said she used to be a science proffesor. I phoned her and thanked her with a free meal at a nice rest. She was so happy she said that she would give me the recipe. When and if i get it i will post it on here works great on any stain she said. And she said it would not even hurt you if you drank it. I dont think i would try that as it did not smell to good. I will post it when i get it. Thanks

#10 ·
Update

Sorry for the delay its been kinda hectic. This stuff she gave me was called Moms Magical Goop. I finally found this at Menards of all places. It reminds me of the Goop hand cleaner you can buy. At least thats what it smelled and looked like. My wife has even used it for spots on shirts etc with great results. You all have a great day.

#13 ·
I think stain magic is the answer now, decafinated coffee has artificial dyes in it and creamer may well have artificial dyes in it. This may sound crazy but try a little fels on it, i am not saying that will be the answer, but sometimes that stuff pulls stains for me that nothing else will. It is kind of like a magic little get out of jail free card for me sometimes.

#26 ·
For those really stubborn coffee stains on carpet where stain magic doesn't do the trick, I found that a tablespoon of Boost All mixed with with boiling water works well. Add just enough water to form a paste or slurry. Apply carefully to stained fibers only and cover with damp towel and apply heat form iron on low setting. This works on mustard too.

steamkinguy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.