Wet or dry carpet cleaning? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-16-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Wet or dry carpet cleaning?

For commercial use, which is more effective and why?

Wet, steam cleaning or dry (encapsulation) carpet cleaning? I am thinking of adding carpet cleaning to my existing commercial cleaning business and need to know which type of machines to purchase.

Also, I am interested in having my clients place of business cleaned and ready within 2 hours so I need to know the pros and cons of both types of carpet cleaning methods (wet vs dry).

What types of machines to use and what else would I need to know?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-29-2013, 10:19 AM

Well both methods have their place. Hot water extraction (HWE) should be the primary cleaning method used with low moisture cleanings in between HWE cleaning.

Unfortunately most commercial properties will not want to pay out the amount of money that it will cost to perform this service. So they usually end up making the mistake of choosing the lowest bid for the work.

I offer the options of both methods low moisture cleaning or hot water extraction.

If you need to have the area ready in two hours, you will need to make a lot of dry passes with your cleaning wand when using HWE and then put an air mover (snail fan) down to help speed drying. Equipment: truck mounted or portable extractors.

Low moisture cleaning can be accomplished with a 175 r.p.m. rotary machine, oscillating pad machine or a counter rotating brush machine. Dry times vary from 20 minutes to an hour.
post #3 of Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Dry carpet cleaning is an increasingly popular method of cleaning. The carpet gets ready to use after an hour makes this method a popular one. But the disadvantage with this process is that it usually can not remove as much soil as wet cleaning does. Also dry cleaning method is costly than wet cleaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 AM

How do you get red wine out of a carpet ??
post #5 of Old 12-11-2013, 12:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to davidlax24 Send a message via MSN to davidlax24 Send a message via Yahoo to davidlax24 Send a message via Skype™ to davidlax24
There are two types of spill.dry spill and wet spill. Both of them are harmful for your carpet. Be Careful about carpet spilling. People don’t care carpet spilling. They think It is small things it. It is true that Spilling in the carpet is a slow process. But small spill can destroy your carpet gradually.
post #6 of Old 12-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H View Post
How do you get red wine out of a carpet ??
Ohhh yes red wine..... ok really no big deal.... use Red One or Red Alert, or what ever red out product you want to use. With red wine the Red One will be use cold. Apply to the infected area, let it sit and extract it with your wand... cold and I mean cold, please do NOT use hot unless you finally have to use "the Iron" and wet paper towels. This will work 90 percent of the time as long as nobody has messed with it.
Hope this helps you.
post #7 of Old 12-15-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
For commercial use, which is more effective and why?

Wet, steam cleaning or dry (encapsulation) carpet cleaning? I am thinking of adding carpet cleaning to my existing commercial cleaning business and need to know which type of machines to purchase.

Also, I am interested in having my clients place of business cleaned and ready within 2 hours so I need to know the pros and cons of both types of carpet cleaning methods (wet vs dry).

What types of machines to use and what else would I need to know?

Thanks.
We have been using the low moisture or bonnet method for years.... and it works just fine..... there are times when HWE is needed. If you want to have the carpet dry fast without having to set up blowers and spending more time trying to get the carpet to dry.... just use performance CBS and some good pads and go for it. It will come out just fine.
post #8 of Old 12-27-2013, 11:31 AM

There are 4 different types of carpet cleaning methods, Each method has its own pro's and con's. Here are just a few:

Bonnet Cleaning:

Pros
Fast
Inexpensive
Carpet dries fast
Good solution for traffic lanes

Cons
Only cleans the surface

Hot Water Extraction:

Pros
Deep cleans
Can sanitize carpet
Can help with odor control

Cons
Possible wicking problems
Takes longer to dry
More training needed
High cost of equipment

Dry Foam Shampoo

Pros
Reduces wicking problems
Odor control
Relatively inexpensive

Cons
Carpet can resoil quickly
Chemical overuse
Vacuuming not thorough enough upon completion.

Dry Extraction

Pros
No drying time
Reduces wicking problems
Less training

Cons
Chemical odor
Carpet can resoil quickly
Labor intensive and expensive
post #9 of Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 AM

Fascinating blog..
Some really good advice - thanks.
This is really thorough - great article.

Carpet cleaners available now in Southend
post #10 of Old 01-09-2014, 05:03 AM
Registered

Its true, home cleaning is very essential for making Home Decorating. Home should be clean and beautiful. So find best decorating ideas online.
post #11 of Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 AM

you might wanna check this out.. cbsdryit.com

There is a lot to learn from here..
post #12 of Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM

Wow, Riddley really summed things up there :P
post #13 of Old 01-31-2014, 07:13 AM

Thank you for this valuable information
post #14 of Old 01-31-2014, 12:47 PM

Wet with Genesis 950 as the cleaning solution. It extracts any dirt or staining from the carpet fibers and then can be flushed out with a rinse.
post #15 of Old 02-17-2014, 04:45 AM

The choice of the proper cleaning system is extremely important. Some systems leave residues which promote re-soiling and defeat the whole purpose of cleaning. Some methods actually damage the carpet fibers and shorten the life of the carpet. We should check with the carpet manufacturer for
recommendations.If carpet is cleaned before it becomes too unsightly, the cleaning chore will be easier and more successful. Allowing the carpet to become overly soiled may result in irreversible damage. It is a common myth that cleaning the carpet before it is absolutely necessary will cause it to get dirty faster. This goes back to the days when the shampoo methods were the most common.Carpet in a typical household should be professionally cleaned every 12 to 18 months depending upon the number of residents, amount and type of activity, and whether the carpet is light or dark color. Carpet Shampooing, Dry Powder Method, Bonnet Cleaning and External Extraction Method, are the various methods from which you can choose to get the carpets cleaned.

Last edited by robertmatheka; 02-17-2014 at 04:48 AM.
post #16 of Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 AM

Dry cleaning carpets helps prevent mold and mildew.
post #17 of Old 07-07-2014, 06:37 AM

If you ask between dry cleaning and wet cleaning my answer is dry cleaning. Sometime when I used wet steam cleaning what I found, the carpets/mattresses stay wet for days, not a few hours. I like dry cleaning because it needs very little water in this process and you do not have to wait for the carpet drying time.
post #18 of Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 AM

I think both have their own importance and both give positive results. But i am in a faver of using wet carpet cleaning as compaire to dry carpet cleaning.
According to me wet carpet cleaning gives results, 100% and also it is hygienic process, as hot steam good to kill molds and becteria also.
post #19 of Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MabelCampbell View Post
If you ask between dry cleaning and wet cleaning my answer is dry cleaning. Sometime when I used wet steam cleaning what I found, the carpets/mattresses stay wet for days, not a few hours. I like dry cleaning because it needs very little water in this process and you do not have to wait for the carpet drying time.
Wet cleaning should never take days to dry that is just unacceptable. Either your vacuum motors are not powerful enough to do it properly or you're not using the proper technique. Mattresses should only take a few hours at the most to dry.
post #20 of Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck blanton View Post
Ohhh yes red wine..... ok really no big deal.... use Red One or Red Alert, or what ever red out product you want to use. With red wine the Red One will be use cold. Apply to the infected area, let it sit and extract it with your wand... cold and I mean cold, please do NOT use hot unless you finally have to use "the Iron" and wet paper towels. This will work 90 percent of the time as long as nobody has messed with it.
Hope this helps you.
+1 on Red One

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode