Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Exterior Cleaning and Restoration > Windows & Gutters

Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Default Best way to clean gutters???

What do you believe is the best way to clean gutters?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #2

Default Gutter Clean...Up a Ladder

Hi Aaron,

I think the best way is to get up there on a ladder with a bucket hand spade and small brush. I would not trust the Vac system as I have come across some real bad growth that I very much doubt that a Vac would have the power to dislodge.

PS. Dont forget to run a hose after you have cleared the gutter.
Gutter Cleaning Dublin
Power Washing Dublin
Window Cleaning Dublin

Last edited by Arctic101; 09-06-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Mistakes in Formatting Text
Arctic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #3

@Arctic101 have you seen the gutter keeper?
Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #4

Ladder, Bucket, Hands. Extension Poles work great for 2 story roofs so you dont have to move the ladder so much. For one story roofs I can walk I use a leaf blower.

Houston Texas Soft Wash Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing School
cleanandgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #5

It is recommended that you clean the gutters out in the spring or beginning of summer and after the fall. Keeping the gutters on your house clean is very important. Gutters keep water from damaging your house and causing mold to grow. The best way to avoid this is with gutter cover installation.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingspetro View Post
It is recommended that you clean the gutters out in the spring or beginning of summer and after the fall. Keeping the gutters on your house clean is very important. Gutters keep water from damaging your house and causing mold to grow. The best way to avoid this is with gutter cover installation.
I do agree with you that gutter keep safe your home and it protects walls of home from water. In the absence of gutter, walls of home will damage easily. The tools required for cleaning may be a ladder, bucket and small brush.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #7

As has been stated above, about the best way to clean gutters is to grab a bucket and just get up there and get it done. There is some other ways that we use to clean the gutters here around Harrisburg PA, and one is we use a leaf blower to blow the leaves and debris out of the gutters and also in some cases we have used the pressure washer to wash the gutters out. Either of these ways are effective but they do tend to make a mess that has to be cleaned up then.

Last year we did quite abit of guuter cleaning in the Mechanicsburg, and Camp Hill area of Central PA, with many happy customers.
fullblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #8

I also like the leaf blower method, provided I am able to walk on the roof!
Mold Tampa Removal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #9

Hand, hose and extension po;e when necessary. Pressure causes a mess and is probably no quicker.

Hate those gutter protector cause if there is a hole and leaves to get in then it's even harder.
Mighti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #10

When we clean gutters in Maryland, we remove all leaves and debris by hand. Then we flush out all the gutter troughs with water, being sure that they are draining properly and all downspouts are unclogged. This may not be the fastest way to clean gutters, but we find it to be the most effective with the least amount of mess to clean up afterwards.
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #11

I think by hand would be absolutely the best method, but it would be SOO much faster to blow it out with a leaf blower. As long as the homeowner is okay with the debris coming down (maybe combined with a pressure washing?) then a backpack blower would be THE way to go. Some of the new models are getting really powerful. I can't imagine them not getting all of the debris out.
ayetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #12

I use both the gutter scoop, bucket and ladder method and the leaf blower method. If the roof is walkable, I prefer to use a leaf blower because it is sooo much faster. You need to use a backpack leaf blower IMO because the hand held ones are too weak unless it is just a few dry leaves.

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, the gutters are crammed full of slimy pine needles so plenty of power is needed to dislodge them.

I will usually give the customer the option: $130 to hand scoop everything or $90 to blow it out. Something like that. Gives them the incentive to go with the easier method for me. Of course I tell them that the leaf blower method will be messier. I often parlay that into tacking on a gutter whitening job.

A strong leaf blower cleans the gutters better than by hand IMO. Gets all the standing water out, flushes out the downspouts and gets all the tiny stuff the scoop misses.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
Poulsbo Window Cleaning
april1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #13

Yes, we mostly use ladders and buckets. We have found a leave blower to be very helpful when its not a complete solid. These are best for when it's a routine clean.
Window Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #14

Thumbs up This Works Great with Gutters

Our Customers and Contractors have told us that this is a GREAT product for cleaning Gutters -- especially when you get the complete kit.

http://www.powerwash.com/cleaning-ac...r-cleaner.html

It saves a TON of time as well if you get the kit since you don't have to use a ladder to reach everything.
PowerWashDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWashDotCom View Post
Our Customers and Contractors have told us that this is a GREAT product for cleaning Gutters -- especially when you get the complete kit.

It saves a TON of time as well if you get the kit since you don't have to use a ladder to reach everything.

Better be careful with as it will strip the paint right off or the damage the finish if not diluted properly. Used it one time, never again.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #16

The product this link is referring to is the Residential formula which comes "ready to go". The Super Concentrate version of Gutter Zap (also available) does require a mixing/diluting process and one quart makes 1 gallon of concentrate which yields 3-5 gallons of ready-to-use-mix.

If you didn't or don't see where that was necessary, I could see where that might happen.
http://www.powerwash.com/training/powerwash-university/
http://www.facebook.com/Powerwashcom
Old 06-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #17

Thanks for sharing this great information for cleaning gutter, it was really informative as well as helpful.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:00 AM   #18

I think that ladder with a bucket hand spade and small brush including the best cleaning products are the best way to clean.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #19

I think that it's the 'old-school' way of cleaning gutters and while it can be effective as well, by using the MarXoff Gutter Cleaning Applicator - http://www.powerwash.com/cleaning-ac...pplicator.html - you can get an even more effective cleaning tool to make the process go faster.

And from a safety perspective, wouldn't using a Mr. Longarm Telescoping Brush Handle for the Applicator, be safer and less time-consuming than having to climb up and down a ladder?
http://www.powerwash.com/training/powerwash-university/
http://www.facebook.com/Powerwashcom
Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWashDotCom View Post

Link not working