What Do You Offer That Other Companies Don't? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb What Do You Offer That Other Companies Don't?

What sets you apart from your competitors in your area?

I am in Middle Tennessee and I have noticed a lot of companies here charge extra to load the dishwasher or make a bed, just little things, and I have all of that in my basic clean with no extra charge.

I am trying to decide if I should add to my cleaning packages or change things up a little. There is a lot of competition here, but a lot of it is companies that are not licensed or insured. I don't worry about those companies much - yea, they will under cut me but I am a legit business.

Do yall have any ideas?

Kim
Reflections Cleaning Service, LLC
Kgarrett01@aol.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 PM

Kim, people cannot put a value on individual services. So though i am sure you offer a better value, it is better for you if the consumer has little to think about. That means comparing apples to apples. If you come in at $100 and your competitor comes in at $40 (for less work), it is more difficult to justify your inclusive service. It can go both ways and there are no right answers. What I did to overcome this was to divide my service into tiers.

You want a basic service? no problem, we are priced competetively.
You want a more comprehensive service? We offer that too.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #3 of Old 01-26-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Kim, people cannot put a value on individual services. So though i am sure you offer a better value, it is better for you if the consumer has little to think about. That means comparing apples to apples. If you come in at $100 and your competitor comes in at $40 (for less work), it is more difficult to justify your inclusive service. It can go both ways and there are no right answers. What I did to overcome this was to divide my service into tiers.

You want a basic service? no problem, we are priced competetively.
You want a more comprehensive service? We offer that too.

Yes, I have them all divided into different cleans. I have just noticed some cleaners don't have a lot on their lists or charge like $10 to make one bed - is this normal? I ask, because I think it is too high.

I am just asking what do you think sets you apart from your competitors?

I think my ads, packages and pricing sets me apart. Plus, I am more old fashioned when it comes to cleaning, I don't swiffer anything. Just my preference.

Just trying to get a conversation started on this board.

Kim
Reflections Cleaning Service, LLC
Kgarrett01@aol.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Yes, having packages and levels of services sets you apart. Sorry about going about that in a roundabout way but that was the point I was trying to make.

I don't sell cleaning, I sell an experience to the customer.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #5 of Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM

We market our quality and our ligitamacy. We often get phone calls that when they hear our price automatically bring up the people on craigs list. Right now unemployment in our area is bad so there are a ton of people advertising on craigslist that aren't ligitimate and work for next to nothing! I explain to them the difference between a ligitimate business and the others. I have also gone behind other cleaning companies for example with a new one time customer and pointed out all the areas that the other company missed.

We also have different levels of cleaning packages for customers to choose from.

Kendra
Busy Bees Cleaning Services
www.busybeesclean.com
post #6 of Old 02-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendra View Post
We market our quality and our ligitamacy. We often get phone calls that when they hear our price automatically bring up the people on craigs list. Right now unemployment in our area is bad so there are a ton of people advertising on craigslist that aren't ligitimate and work for next to nothing! I explain to them the difference between a ligitimate business and the others. I have also gone behind other cleaning companies for example with a new one time customer and pointed out all the areas that the other company missed.

We also have different levels of cleaning packages for customers to choose from.
Most people read quietly but do not comment. Research reveals that less than 1% of the people who read boards generally comment.

So I'll respond since you said you wanted to start a dialogue. Perhaps the lurkers will learn something:

I have personally never offered cleaning packages. My idea is, either we are going to clean a home thoroughly or we are not. Our first time cleaning rates are set and we offer a set rate for ongoing cleanings. To me, it would be too confusing to the cleaning techs to---on one hand tell them to do a top to bottom cleaning---then on the other hand tell them that because of a "package", they need to skip this or that. I want them to offer everyone the same high quality cleaning.

What sets us apart? Many things, but one thing that I'll mention is the fact that each cleaning tech is only allowed to clean two homes per day. Other cleaning companies have their people cleaning 4 - 6 per day---and they rush through, doing a lousy job.

The reason I do it that way is because I want my workers to take their time (I don't believe in "speed cleaning"). And also I only assign one cleaner to a house, unless the house is particularly large. This works for my particular company but each company needs to do what works for themselves.

I have noticed that many cleaning companies do not give their workers a "caseload" of their own clients. I don't understand that. My employees receive their own personal caseload and they service their caseload either weekly or biweekly.

At the end of each month, I give them a calendar so they will know ahead of time who they will service, who has rescheduled, who they are subbing for, etc. They love it. It helps them to feel settled---instead of wondering from day to day what's going on. And I presently have a zero turnover of employees. In fact, I tried to fire one a couple of weeks ago and she negotiated with me to make the necessary changes to keep her job, and now she's doing great.

Good topic!

Write the vision and make it plain: http://maidservicecoaching.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Cat; 02-09-2009 at 06:19 AM.
post #7 of Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Cat

OOps,

Just realized that I got Kim and Kendra confused. Thought I was talking to Kendra but was actually talking to Kim. Guess the "K"s threw me off.

Write the vision and make it plain: http://maidservicecoaching.wordpress.com/
post #8 of Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 AM

We are an office cleaning company with over 15 years of office cleaning experience to provide individualised, bespoke benefits to a wide ranging customer base.
We also offer a customised cleaning service to suit all buildings office cleaning and maintenance needs.

Office Cleaning London - Total Clean provide competitively priced office cleaning in London, also commercial cleaning and office cleaning services London, London city and W1.
post #9 of Old 03-26-2009, 02:03 PM

I had a good friend of mine who was a trade show consultant. He would charge a lot of money for his services, and was totally unashamed about it.

Whenever a prospect would complain about price, he would offer to fax them a list of 10 other companies that charged less than him. This really used to catch people off-guard.

I don't know if I'd have the stones to ever take it that far. You're practically insulting the prospect at that point. It certainly is ballsy though.
post #10 of Old 06-15-2009, 01:38 AM

One way to stand out from all the other small cleaning businesses out there is to offer your customers a variety of payment methods. While cash is obviously the easiest method, by offering clients the chance to pay by other means you will stand out as offering something that other market plyers don't.

Credit card systems can be a hassle to deal with but it may just help your ad to stand out over the others if you offer this option. The hassle, set up costs and fees may be worth it if you can win customers based on this difference.

You could even charge them monthly in advance and some would still go for it as they love the convenience of using their cards and the loyalty programs that they offer (reward points etc).

For reviews of some of the top start a cleaning business guides visit -

www.cleaningforprofit.com
post #11 of Old 06-15-2009, 04:02 AM

I've always been told that pitching goods or services on price alone is really risky because there is someone else out there who is looking to undercut on price.

If you are pitching a qualtiy service at competitive prices then you can look to offer additional services that don't cost much but set you apart when it comes to quality.

We do free site surveys at our company for example. It doesn't take alot of money to do and the customer can see that you value their business. You can point things out to them and already you are establishing a good relationship with your customer before you've even started.

Being insured is also a massive plus. You can really sell that to your customers.

Thats my two pence worth anyway.

Nathan Church
Marketing Executive
Merton Group UK Ltd
www.mertongroup.co.uk
nchurch@mertongroup.co.uk
post #12 of Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM

as for our company. we usually send one person per house (if it's not more than 8 hours of cleaning). This person does all the cleaning inside the house, we don't charge anything for making beds, or loading laundry etc.

We do have different prices for customers on weekly or biweekly or monthly basis.

Also we offer minimum hours of work, so it's not necessary for us to come to see the place if customer just wants 4 or 5 hours of work. because most of the time, if it's one time cleaning, customer want to do the cleaning in the kitchen and washrooms and so on.

www.torontoclean.com - Greatest Cleaning Service
post #13 of Old 06-24-2009, 12:16 PM

We handle mostly commercial clients and recently we've created a value add by providing the logistics of ordering/purchasing/stocking bathroom supplies for our clients as part of our monthly service fees. They see the value because it's time that the office manager or purchasing manager can devote to other more important tasks. Smaller companies see the true value because the office manager is typically the one that handles billing tasks so it means more time that he or she can spend billing or collecting on their clients.

Express Commercial Cleaning
info@expresscommercialcleaning.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode