Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Cleaning Talk > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #1

Default Rug pad stuck to floor

To go in and out of my house everyone uses the door in my kitchen. In front of this door about 6 months ago I put a new area rug (3 ' x 4') with a pad that was adhered to the back as a cushion (cheap area rug).
Then I became very sick and haven't cleaned the kitchen floor since! I'm not well yet but I couldn't take it any longer so today I completely stripped the kitchen floor with Armstrong floor stripper.
Where the rug was at there is a small area about 12 inches long by 4 inches wide that the backing on the rug stuck to the floor so hard that the stripper wouldn't even clean it up!
This just happened and I am waiting for the floor to dry before I do something else, but what? What should I do to get this stuff off the floor. I am thinking about trying this stuff called "Goof OFF" that is sold here in the US to remove paint, chewing gum, blood, whatever. It is a sheet vinyl floor with a no wax finish (but you do have to wax).
The stripper surprised me because it actually made the floor look just about new, however it is dull looking so I will have to wax it with something, but the main problem is that small area of backing stuck to the floor like glue. I believe it came off the rug and stuck to the floor because of foot traffic coming in with wet feet in rain and snow and it got the rug wet.

I'll never use this type of rug again!!
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #2

Is it just the rubbery part stuck to the floor? I have encountered that before and I used a wet microfiber cloth and it wiped right up. I was surprised how well this worked because it was a move out cleaning and the stuff was really stuck to the floor. I could not even scrape it with my shoe (which I tried when we first walked in because I was wondering how we would get that up). Goof Off or Goo Gone might work I have not tried that. I would maybe apply some of that and scrub it with a scrubber sponge. You might have to get a scraper. Sorry I could not be of more help.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #3

Kendra, I tried what you suggested but it didn't even budge this stuff. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #4

Wow! Did you try scraping it? That is crazy. When you do get it up please let us know how you did it.
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #5

Kendra I'll let you know if I can get it up. I emailed Valspar (they manufacture Goof Off) to see if it is safe to use on this problem. I don't want to take a chance on it going through and melting the glue that holds down the vinyl floor in that area.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #6

Kendra, sorry to get back so late when you tried so hard to help me.

They were out of the "ZEP" green you told me about so I got the Zep orange stuff.

First off, the "Goof Off" stuff didn't do anything!!!!!!

So I tried the Zap and it was probably 30% better, however you have to spray it on heavy and let it soak in for 5 to 10 minutes. Then, use a scraper like you use to get the ice/frost off your windows in the winter. Its odd, the stuff is chrylastized so nothing seems to break it down but if you keep chipping/soaking at it, you can get it up, but it's slow, very slow.
An area about 15x6 inches took me about 2 hours to completely clean (soaking/waiting/scrubbing)! The first few lawyers are not all that big a problem but when you get to the last of it, it is definitely a "chip it away" type situation.
I seem to have run out of space/comment area for this area, thats sad!!!