Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Cleaning Talk > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #1

Default Washing oily clothes

I have a brand new front loading washing machine and I don't want to ruin it. It says not to put oily clothes in it. My hubby works on oil furnaces as a service technician and his clothes can get pretty grubby. Will I ruin the machine by using it for washing his work clothes? I always used my top loader without problems.
jen2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen2u View Post
I have a brand new front loading washing machine and I don't want to ruin it. It says not to put oily clothes in it. My hubby works on oil furnaces as a service technician and his clothes can get pretty grubby. Will I ruin the machine by using it for washing his work clothes? I always used my top loader without problems.
It says not to put oily clothes in as a safety precaution because oil never really comes competely out and it could become a fire hazard...the oil could also transfer to future loads.. My dad is a mechanic and he sends his clothes out to be washed by a specialty company...my mom would kill him if he stuck his stuff in the washer
amiencc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #3

Why not pre-soak the clothes first to get the majority of the oils out prior to washing?
t.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
Why not pre-soak the clothes first to get the majority of the oils out prior to washing?
Ooh Ooh do you think baking soda would soak up any excess oil? or sprinkling some sand on it and letting it sit? I don't know if it would...but it seems like it might..
amiencc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #5

just spray it with shout or some other similar pre-soak (they are all just degreasers ) allow them to soak for a while then, soak the clothes in a sink full of water with a little laundry soap and/or borax for at least 1 hour, rinse them then toss them into the washer and wash as usual.
t.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. These clothes are not terribly soiled, mostly just smell like fuel oil. For visible stains I will do the soak first then toss them in the machine. Can't stand laudry mats!!
jen2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen2u View Post

The only product I've found that will remove these grease and oil spots is Natural Solvent Spotter from Naturally Yours. I just put it on full strength right on the spot, then throw it in the washer with soap and Oxy Magic. Sometimes I have to do it twice, but it comes out.
1stclasscleaningnyc is offline   Reply With Quote