Home Advisor experience? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 09-08-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Home Advisor experience?

Has anyone tried Home Advisor for leads for their cleaning business? I was listening to a podcast that said that you can get 3-4 leads per week from Home Advisor for a yearly fee of just a few hundred dollars and a small $20 project fee. True? If so, are they quality leads? Thanks.

Heather Fuller~Infinite Legacy Solutions
Education, Action, Support

Did you like my advice? Learn more about starting a cleaning business.
Free Checklists, Forms and Resources! www.hustlelegacy.com

Last edited by epicheather265; 09-08-2016 at 01:52 PM. Reason: forgot to add somethign
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 09-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Home Advisor

epicheather

I have tried HomeAdvisor 2x (1x under their old name, HomePro?)

I have gotten leads BUT never did get a job from the leads.
1 lead was a guy called me thru Homeadvisor and wanted some janitorial work done in my state but he lived in another state.
2 4 -5 x got the leads from Home Advisor but never did connect with the customer or customer never returned my call.
HomeAdvisor would charge your on file credit card for every lead whether you got the job or even connected with the customer. sometimes leads were sent to you for job requests which were outside of the listed fields you were experienced in.
Lastly, getting HomeAdvisor to refund a credit card charge for an erroneous lead took lots of verbal arm twisting.
Perhaps HomeAdvisor has cleaned up their act, You might look at ThumbTack.com--I have gotten PAID jobs thru them.
Brad www.bdjanitorial.com
post #3 of Old 09-13-2016, 11:05 PM

Hey BDJanitorial... You should be able to sign up and get your listing all clean and input correctly just to have the link to your site. You still allowed to limit a monthly budget arent you? We will be signing up for homeadvisor this week.

Phone: (713) 597-2247
Email: Mark@bayoucitysteam.com
12335 Kingsride Lane #343
Houston, TX 77024
http://www.bayoucitysteam.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-14-2016, 06:25 AM

Website Leads

Homeadvisor - Porch etc.

You don't need to use HomeAdvisor or Porch or any other lead source.

If you use them you are competing with other related businesses and usually
lowest price gets the job, which erodes your margins.

You can have your own Lead Generation site built out for you so you get
all the EXCLUSIVE leads and your not on a stage sharing them with others who are bidding on the same job. Usually it's the lowest bidder that gets the work.

My lead gen website gets about 1-2 leads everyday and we close 80% of those leads. All my phone calls are recorded which helps in training staff etc.

Let me know if you want me to hook you up with my web seo guy who builds these things all over the country.

Thanks
PAUL

Carpet Cleaning
705-482-0370
post #5 of Old 09-14-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetcleaningnorthbay View Post
Homeadvisor - Porch etc.

You don't need to use HomeAdvisor or Porch or any other lead source.

If you use them you are competing with other related businesses and usually
lowest price gets the job, which erodes your margins.

You can have your own Lead Generation site built out for you so you get
all the EXCLUSIVE leads and your not on a stage sharing them with others who are bidding on the same job. Usually it's the lowest bidder that gets the work.

My lead gen website gets about 1-2 leads everyday and we close 80% of those leads. All my phone calls are recorded which helps in training staff etc.

Let me know if you want me to hook you up with my web seo guy who builds these things all over the country.

Thanks
PAUL
That's about what people have told me they close. 75-80% good to know.
I use localsignal.com

Phone: (713) 597-2247
Email: Mark@bayoucitysteam.com
12335 Kingsride Lane #343
Houston, TX 77024
http://www.bayoucitysteam.com
post #6 of Old 09-20-2016, 09:32 PM

I agree with the others. I don't think you need to compete with low-ball bidders or pay for leads with residential house cleaning when you don't even know if they will convert to buyers (I actually spoke to a sales rep who cold called me, and after some digging she told me the average is 40% - of bid estimates that actually turn into buyers from their website. That is not good. By that time, you've already paid Home Advisor to set that up.

It is so easy to get leads for residential house cleaning that I think it's silly to pay someone for leads. Try Craigslist. I think HomeAdvisor might be interesting if you're a contractor and each job is worth so much, but not for house cleaning. In my opinion.
post #7 of Old 09-21-2016, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Craigslist seems to be full of scammers, low-ballers, and one timers; plus it's $25 now.

If I'm going to spend $25, then where should I put it to get long lasting, weekly, 1 year contracts?

I get my best customers from word of mouth and leads are trickling in, but I need more to grow.
post #8 of Old 09-21-2016, 11:01 AM

That's the great thing about marketing...every method seems to work different for different people, based on so many different factors including the town you're in, your ads and you and your business presence. I've always gotten great results from Craigslist - and I'm not sure what you mean about $25, it's always been free to post (Services>Household). I always suggest trying different things and see what works for you .
post #9 of Old 09-21-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

My bad...Craigslist ads for jobs are now $25. Not for services.
I just learned that they could charge up to $75 now for job posting.

Last edited by epicheather265; 09-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.
post #10 of Old 09-21-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Home Advisor is not a great deal.
What is out there that is worth putting money into?

post #11 of Old 09-21-2016, 01:44 PM

Other Options for Pay for Leads

I have gotten window jobs thru Thumbtack.com and 2 walk throughs for office cleaning 1 gave me the go ahead but changed their mind when I sent the agreement for service to them.
When I ask the window customer how many other bids they got, sometimes I am the only bid/offer they got. I bid on jobs thru ThumbTack.com that are close to me and outside of the big city Portland, that way I figure it cuts down on the competition or pushes up a competitior's cost because they have to drive further to service that lead.
Thumbtack charges per lead and I think the leads cost more in higher demand areas such as big city.-- my assumption.
You buy credits fro $1.67 each. Office cleaning lead maybe 11 credits and only 5 people can bid on each lead.[U] If a customer does not open / look at your bid [/U]then those bid credits are refunded to you, customer has a time frame to view the bids.
Brad BD Janitorial
post #12 of Old 09-22-2016, 07:32 PM

Interesting what is a lead generating site? I'm not familiar with that, but it sounds better than home advisors..

I just talked with home advisors. They will allow you to see the types of leads that would be sent to you. Some are people just price shopping and there are some people ready to actually get a cleaner. I'm holding off though because it is a one time fee of $300 to get going and for the good leads it is $25.

I think thumbtack does make you cut your margins to compete for the job. If you could provide more information to your customer why you are worth more money than it might be better. The cost is between $5 -$20 to bid for a job.

Last edited by WhiteGlovedMaid; 09-22-2016 at 07:38 PM.
post #13 of Old 09-22-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I am all about going out in the neighborhood with business cards and door hangers. Better than figuring all that mess out--->I'll get my own customers

post #14 of Old 09-23-2016, 01:20 PM

Thumbtack

I mostly bid on window jobs thru thumbtack.com. Most of the bids cost me around $2.00, for my last $100 window job. Thumbtack bid form, you get 1000 characters + any attachments--I attach customer comments.
I have a walk thru on Monday with a local business which was a lead thru thumbtack.
Brad BD Janitorial
post #15 of Old 09-30-2016, 05:36 PM

I'm currently subscribed to hipages and my experiences so far has not been good. I end up having to pay $20 - $30 each lead and most of the time the guy using the service is just using you as a cost comparison. Waste of time and money in my opionion.
post #16 of Old 09-30-2016, 05:57 PM

Your better off making some nice easy to read fliers and spending that $200+ on a few kids to go door to door and pass out the fliers.. besides they need the job
post #17 of Old 10-02-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdjanitorial View Post
epicheather

I have tried HomeAdvisor 2x (1x under their old name, HomePro?)

I have gotten leads BUT never did get a job from the leads.
1 lead was a guy called me thru Homeadvisor and wanted some janitorial work done in my state but he lived in another state.
2 4 -5 x got the leads from Home Advisor but never did connect with the customer or customer never returned my call.
HomeAdvisor would charge your on file credit card for every lead whether you got the job or even connected with the customer. sometimes leads were sent to you for job requests which were outside of the listed fields you were experienced in.
Lastly, getting HomeAdvisor to refund a credit card charge for an erroneous lead took lots of verbal arm twisting.
Perhaps HomeAdvisor has cleaned up their act, You might look at ThumbTack.com--I have gotten PAID jobs thru them.
Brad
Thanks for sharing this. I really wonder about the value of services like home advisor, Angie's list, etc. They seem to have a terrible ROI.
post #18 of Old 10-04-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitologist View Post
Your better off making some nice easy to read fliers and spending that $200+ on a few kids to go door to door and pass out the fliers.. besides they need the job
I was told by a woman who worked at a marketing firm if I went the way of fliers. That you really need to be consistent with them, by that she was saying you really need to send 2-3 fliers at different points in time in the same neighborhood to make them effective.
post #19 of Old 10-04-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was told by a woman who worked at a marketing firm if I went the way of fliers. That you really need to be consistent with them, by that she was saying you really need to send 2-3 fliers at different points in time in the same neighborhood to make them effective.
This woman was right about staying consistent with flyers. That goes the same with every aspect of your business. Have a plan and document results.

I don't remember where I first heard it but the more times a customer sees your name, the more likely they'll remember it and call you when they are ready to buy. It makes sense to hand out flyers more than once if you look at it that way.

Along with flyers, I also recommend getting yard signs for busy intersections (just look for Trump and Hillary signs and put them there).

Putting your business' name where potential customers can see it is always a good thing.
post #20 of Old 10-07-2016, 11:50 AM

Homeadvisor tends to drive leads that are coming from people looking for lowest cost. If your strategy is to be the low cost bidder then it could be a good route. Otherwise it tends to be low conversions. Angies List seems to be more targeted at people looking for quality so you might try it. For my duct cleaning business I tend to focus on SEO and my web site and that works for me, plus referrals of course.

Eric
Air Health Services Marysville

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode