Marketing for a small operation - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

Home     Advertise     Contact Us  
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Business Discussion > Sales & Marketing

Old 11-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #1

Smile Marketing for a small operation

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but have been reading all the great information for some time. My girlfriend and I are about to launch a new residential cleaning service. Our goal is not to have employees for some time, but to have a full schedule through the week for her and I. I believe the income will be enough to save up, and eventually have employees. I am wondering if you believe we will be able to generate enough business through google places, newspaper ads, craigslist ads, facebook page, yelp, flyers, word of mouth, etc., or if a website is absoloutely necessary at this time? also how long did it take everyone to get their first clients once they began advertising?
2colton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #2

You definitely don't need a website.

Having said that a website is all about speed, word of mouth is very slow.

If you're registering for google places, and utilizing all the free ads you can, it will definitely jump start your business.

Just keep your prices low to start, so you're close ratio is higher.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great
Zo's Glass Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #3

Thanks for your response zoe. That is actually just what I wanted to hear. I have nothing against designing a website, although I have little to no experience with them. My thinking was that for two people starting out, it could actually bring too much business, and I wouldn't like having to turn down money lol
2colton5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #4

Default Marketing for a small operation

Hi 2coulton5,

I will be posting information on flyer delivery I am doing to get new cleaning clients. You might want to keep an eye on that thread.

Don
First Impressions Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2colton5 View Post
Thanks for your response zoe. That is actually just what I wanted to hear. I have nothing against designing a website, although I have little to no experience with them. My thinking was that for two people starting out, it could actually bring too much business, and I wouldn't like having to turn down money lol
Start charging more then!
Old 11-23-2016, 05:04 AM   #6

Thumbs up for this post
Flyttevask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #7

When you launch, you can do yourself a favor and build and rank the website FIRST. No better time to get that out of the way. And you'll be able to add to the site later to improve it and create more search matches that make sense. My buddy James owns a one man Carpet Cleaners in Reno. He launched the site while he was still putting his financing together to build out his first carpet cleaning van. Once he had the van, his licensing, and his insurance, he already had phone calls coming in for his services.

So, I recommend that you figure out what your website URL can be. Launch the site, build it out with excellent content, get some people to link to it, and then let it sit until you're close to opening up for business. Good luck, by the way. I'm always excited to hear of someone else making the plunge into the entrepreneur world.

-Bunga
Bunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:23 AM   #8

Default starting up

Wishing you lots of luck it can be challenging getting started. as far as web sites are concerned, you have to have one eventually. I have to say that more importantly you need to focus on lead generation and converting those leads into business. good ole fashion business cards and hand shaking go a long way for jumping up sales right away and as far as building your own web site you will be relieved to know that wordpress makes building and customizing your own web site easier than setting up facebook honestly there is almost no need to learn coding the whole system is practically drag and drop.
procleantampa.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #9

Default Start off with a Facebook page

I would definitely recommend a website however social media wouldn't be a bad start either. I would start with a Facebook page it won't cost you nothing but time.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2colton5 View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but have been reading all the great information for some time. My girlfriend and I are about to launch a new residential cleaning service. Our goal is not to have employees for some time, but to have a full schedule through the week for her and I. I believe the income will be enough to save up, and eventually have employees. I am wondering if you believe we will be able to generate enough business through google places, newspaper ads, craigslist ads, facebook page, yelp, flyers, word of mouth, etc., or if a website is absoloutely necessary at this time? also how long did it take everyone to get their first clients once they began advertising?
The cleaning business is full of competition and that's why it is a healthy industry. Who is your target audience? High end customers or economical customers. If your goal is to be the cheapest then you don't need a website, but if you want to look credible, and charge more. Get one.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #11

Just starting out you want to get this biggest bang for the least buck. Websites are not necessarily the best way to go unless you have the cash to have a real pro do it or expertise to do it yourself.

I would suggest you pick 3 marketing initiative and work them hard. I think ads and flyers are a waste at the beginning - you need to build relationships. You want to be in front of people who need your service and can pay for it. Think professionals, working mothers, executives, etc. Join business meetups, go to chamber events visit local BNI chapters any place where your potential clientele might meet. Don't worry about giving them biz card, it is much more important you get their contact info and follow up with them.

Right now you need massive action to get in front of as many people as you can and tell them what you do, and why you are different.
Max61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #12

My wife owns a Small Business Marketing company and this was her response:

1.) Use all of the free tools available to you on the internet if you are not looking to jump into a website just yet. She suggestions the following:

Craigslist - be sure to include your services, a phone number, a contact name, and a picture even if it is a stock photo. It doesn't hurt to have a photo of you and your partner as people like to have a face to the name and helps you build trust. Plus when you show up to the job site they can see that you are who you say you are.

Facebook - build a Facebook page and post daily if not more. Post tips, discounts, ask for input, be engaging and don't just talk at an audience. If you really want to build clients quickly, run a simple and inexpensive Facebook ad targeting homeowners or business owners in your area. My wife says you can probably get 1500 views in less than a week for $10 (depending on your location).

Facebook Live - people love live streams. This offers an inside look at what you do, how well you do it, and provides credibility.

Google My Business - obtain a Google listing (which acts like a website). This allows your business to be listed in Google Maps as well!

Instagram - share pictures of your sparkling clean work!

Snapchat - share your fun personality and insider tips. Wife said this is a big one and going to be the next big thing for business prospecting.

Once you have done all of this - she said you are ready for a website to solidify your place in the market.

She said if you have questions or need any advice she's happy to talk with you. Her agency is Sprout Digital Ltd in Dayton, Ohio. sprout-digital dot com
daytoncontractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:45 AM   #13

Location: Greater Pittsburgh area including Allegheny, Beaver & Butler County, Pennsylvania
Default Get The website

It is cheap and easy to make a website. No it won't generate too much business and it will lend credibility to your operation and give you a head start by aging your domain for later SEO.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #14

Default Suggestions To get Started

Website, I would do a basic website to tell your story and showcase the services you offer and to provide a way to contact you.
Flyers work as long as you are consistent in delivering them say 1x a week or 2x a month.
Consider looking into Thumbtack.com..Free to join and you pay only for the leads you bid on BUT you can sign up for several cities, areas and see how many leads come from each area and how much competition for leads for that area. ThumbTack limits the bidding to 5 bidders. Example, I don't bid on leads from the main/big city near me because the competition is fierce, but when I bid on leads in a small suburb of the big city the competition is very low, sometimes I am the only bidder.
Walmart built their empire not in the big cities but in the smaller towns.
Brad BD Janitorial
bdjanitorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #15

The internet is where people go to research services and this is no different when it comes to researching cleaning companies. If you want to grow your business, you should be online and manage your online presence.

If you aren’t quite ready for a website, at the very least you need to setup your Google Business Listing. This listing can help your company (and contact info) show up on the 1st page of Google and will give you space online to manage your reviews.

I'd plan to get a website designed eventually, but in the short term start with a Google Business listing as this will get you started!
Barret_Jobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #16

you should be do marketing for any business, small business. you must be use social marketing, and search engine marketing
manchun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #17

I recommend always having a website, even if you don't market it. Gives you more credibility
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #18

Three words

Search Engine Optimization

How do I know this? Well I got stuck in a rut working on the job incessantly and I totally neglected my online marketing. I put up my website and it worked but by the time I got home I was tired as hell.

luckily I have been a computer nerd since a tot so I do all the work myself but there are resources on the web to help you out or you can hire a freelancer, or a large company. Let me know if you have any further questions and I can point you in the right direction.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecodumpster View Post
Three words

Search Engine Optimization

How do I know this? Well I got stuck in a rut working on the job incessantly and I totally neglected my online marketing. I put up my website and it worked but by the time I got home I was tired as hell.

luckily I have been a computer nerd since a tot so I do all the work myself but there are resources on the web to help you out or you can hire a freelancer, or a large company. Let me know if you have any further questions and I can point you in the right direction.
Once you got your website set up, how did you get started? Did you focus on backlinks, on page optimization, getting listed in directories? Curious what you found worked the best for you. Thanks!
Barret_Jobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #20

All of the above but first make sure you start with a good foundation ie metal tags titles h tags
ecodumpster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advertising, new business, residential, startup