Peroxide Vs Bleach? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of Old 10-25-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Peroxide Vs Bleach?

I've been having fun with my X-jet the past few months, and I've been using a chlorine solution for everything so far. I'm happy with the results, but the environmental impact and the potential damage to plantlife if I don't rinse enough are issues that I would like to do without if possible.

I was talking to my brother in law today who is a pharmaceutical chemist and he asked if I'd tried a hydrogen peroxide solution to compare the results as it is apparently MUCH more eco friendly.

It stuck me that some of the products I've been looking at on the net that make all the eco friendly claims (http://stores.reviversystems.com/StoreFront.bok being one that caught my eye in particular) are probably peroxide based? None of the US suppliers will ship chems to Ireland, so I'm stuck figuring this out on my own!
What I want to know is:

Does peroxide do the same job?
Does it damage plants/lawns?
Is it any more harmful to the operator than bleach?
Is it as cost effective?

Your comments are appreciated!
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Exclamation Try GreenTerpene d-Limonene

Works great and its 100% natural, no colors or harsh chemical orders.

Try it, GreenTerpene.com
post #3 of Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 AM

I believe that bleach water does not have an effect on plants for the reason that when i did my expererment the bleach watered plant grew almost as well as the plain watered plant did... Although a lot of leaves fell off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor Florida View Post
I believe that bleach water does not have an effect on plants for the reason that when i did my expererment the bleach watered plant grew almost as well as the plain watered plant did... Although a lot of leaves fell off...
The salt in the bleach can harm plants if not properly diluted during roof cleaning.
post #5 of Old 07-12-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njones View Post
I've been having fun with my X-jet the past few months, and I've been using a chlorine solution for everything so far. I'm happy with the results, but the environmental impact and the potential damage to plantlife if I don't rinse enough are issues that I would like to do without if possible.

I was talking to my brother in law today who is a pharmaceutical chemist and he asked if I'd tried a hydrogen peroxide solution to compare the results as it is apparently MUCH more eco friendly.

It stuck me that some of the products I've been looking at on the net that make all the eco friendly claims (http://stores.reviversystems.com/StoreFront.bok being one that caught my eye in particular) are probably peroxide based? None of the US suppliers will ship chems to Ireland, so I'm stuck figuring this out on my own!
What I want to know is:

Is it as cost effective?

Bleach leaves hallogen compounds, and is definitely leaving an environmental footprint. The answer to this is in finding a biocide that breaks down into non accumulative residues. We use DDAC on this side of the pond, it ticks the boxes. Have a look at www.roofclean.co.uk
Francois
post #6 of Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 AM

Post Roof cleaning chemical agent

Bleach leaves hallogen compounds, and is definitely leaving an environmental footprint. The answer to this is in finding a biocide that breaks down into non accumulative residues. We use DDAC on this side of the pond, it ticks the boxes. Have a look at www.roofclean.co.uk
Francois
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tithes.JPG (46.5 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of Old 08-30-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:

What I want to know is:

Is it as cost effective?

Hydrogen Peroxide, in concentrations needed to clean a roof, is a very very dangerous thing, and can flat explode. Not only that, it stinks to high heaven, and is not nearly as "biodegradable" as some may think.
Good old SH is still the best way to clean a roof.
post #8 of Old 08-30-2014, 04:08 AM

Roof cleaning

Hi
Bleach is a no-no, rinsed or not. If you can smell it, you breath it. Bleach sends people to the hospitals. Peroxide is better, but still bleaches, and does not tick all the right boxes with regard to the durability of the mix, cost etc.

The best way is to use a quaternary ammonium. There are a few on the market, but the Didecyl is the best one for such application : 2.5% w/w will kill the biofilm under one hour. Other quaternary ammoniums are ok, but they may have a sensitivity to hard water, some are more potent than others on algae etc. The Didecyl deactivates in contact with biomass. It is all in the dosage. However, any spill / run off will not leave a durable footprint.

I run roofclean dot co dot uk and renderclean dot biz in the uk: You can download the safety data sheet and take note of the CAS No before the trip to the shops. It should be on the label.

Mind this ladder - Francois
post #9 of Old 08-31-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housemartin View Post
Hi
Bleach is a no-no, rinsed or not. If you can smell it, you breath it. Bleach sends people to the hospitals. Peroxide is better, but still bleaches, and does not tick all the right boxes with regard to the durability of the mix, cost etc.

The best way is to use a quaternary ammonium. There are a few on the market, but the Didecyl is the best one for such application : 2.5% w/w will kill the biofilm under one hour. Other quaternary ammoniums are ok, but they may have a sensitivity to hard water, some are more potent than others on algae etc. The Didecyl deactivates in contact with biomass. It is all in the dosage. However, any spill / run off will not leave a durable footprint.

I run roofclean dot co dot uk and renderclean dot biz in the uk: You can download the safety data sheet and take note of the CAS No before the trip to the shops. It should be on the label.

Mind this ladder - Francois
You can smell bleach loud and clear at any municipal swimming pool and no one goes to the hospital. What are you trying to sell?

Rapid HotClean

Call or Text 503-709-3594
Best Roof Cleaning Portland OR
Pressure Washing Portland OR
post #10 of Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 AM

OK for bleach then

I am not after your money. If that is all you can read in my message : Use bleach.
post #11 of Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 PM

ARMA is one of the largest asphalt shingle manufactures in North America. Here is a link to their Technical Bulletin on how to properly and safely clean asphalt shingles and is similar to the Soft Wash process most contractors use. I do not use TSP because of it's effects on windows. (it is in a PDF format at the bottom).

http://www.asphaltroofing.org/algae-discoloration-roofs

Capital Roof Wash and Exterior Pressure Cleaning
post #12 of Old 09-06-2014, 02:48 PM

I don't see any issues with bleach if you take the proper precautions like bagging downspouts, proper dilution, etc.
post #13 of Old 06-08-2015, 04:26 PM

I never had good results with peroxide. I found that it removes algae, however it takes alot of applications and would make a roof cleaning way too expensive for the customer. It would be nice not to have to worry the plants, hydrogen peroxide just does not make sense for use by a professional roof cleaner trying to make money.

SafePro Roof Cleaning Gainesville Fl
Chad Freeman
Gainesville, Florida 32607
safeproroofcleaning.com
safeproroofcleaning.net
post #14 of Old 06-09-2015, 02:48 AM

Very useful information, thank you all!
End of Tenancy Cleaning Raynes Park
post #16 of Old 07-30-2015, 02:15 AM

Chlorine bleach household cleaners are often the most toxic chemicals found in homes yet most popular in America. Bleach is added to everything from toilet bowl cleaners and counter sprays to dishwashing liquid and laundry detergent. Of course, it’s also often used straight out of the bottle for an endless array of cleaning purposes.
The benefit to chlorine bleach is that it’s very effective in killing germs like viruses, bacteria and fungi. But the benefit does not come without a price. It resides as residue on all surfaces you use it to clean, it goes into your home’s air that you breathe, affecting your lungs, and it’s absorbed very quickly into your skin and your family members’ skin by everything you touch that was cleaned.
Chlorine is extremely poisonous and was actually used during World War I as a choking agent, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chlorine gas is what gives bleach its pungent odor, and it can be pressurized and cooled to change it into a liquid form, which is used to make countless industrial and household products including bleach (both household chlorine bleach and bleach used in the manufacture of paper and cloth).

basement construction
post #17 of Old 06-21-2016, 06:41 AM

Chlorine bleach household cleaners are often the most toxic chemicals found in homes yet most popular in America. Bleach is added to everything from toilet bowl cleaners and counter sprays to dishwashing liquid and laundry detergent. Of course, itís also often used straight out of the bottle for an endless array of cleaning purposes.

The benefit to chlorine bleach is that itís very effective in killing germs like viruses, bacteria and fungi. But the benefit does not come without a price. It resides as residue on all surfaces you use it to clean, it goes into your homeís air that you breathe, affecting your lungs, and itís absorbed very quickly into your skin and your family membersí skin by everything you touch that was cleaned.

Office cleaning services Perth
post #18 of Old 09-26-2016, 06:29 AM

Using bleach is more beneficial, but you need to be careful and use precautions.
post #19 of Old 01-28-2017, 05:47 AM

I wont suggest you bleach...
post #20 of Old 04-20-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Well hydrogen peroxide has been considered completely safe even for cleaning floors where we have a better chance to being exposed to its harmful effects, if it had any. So just using common sense logic, if it is safe for floors then it must be safer for floor, unless there is a difference in composition and there is concentration of some harmful element.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode