Question about floor care in a WM supercenter department store - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Interior Cleaning and Restoration > Commercial Cleaning > Floor Care

Old 08-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #1

Question Question about floor care in a WM supercenter department store

Hello, First let me say I am glad I found this forum. It is nice to find other cleaning pros sharing tips and help with each other. I currently head up the overnight floor crew at a large WM supercenter store. The store is 210,000 square feet including backrooms and offices. Our floors have always been the absolute best out of all the other WM stores in our region. My crew takes great pride in that fact. Our current routine consists of stripping the floor with Johnson Diversey Pro-Strip and an NSS autoscrubber with 17" black pads. Then we follow that up with 6-8 coats of Johnson Diversey Signature High Speed Floor Finish. The amount of coats depends on the traffic in the area and amount of time we have. We tend to strip and wax the main Action Alleys generally once every 2 or 3 months and the departments once a year. Keep in mind this is the 3rd largest supercenter store in our state, so we have very high traffic. Then of course we scrub and buff the entire floor every night. Our store is currently going through a full store remodel. This includes brand new floors. I have a few questions about things we can do better because with the new floor we will be held to a higher standard than even before. My questions are as follows:
1. I have heard that Signature floor finish is the absolute cheapest and worst finish you can buy. Is this true?
2. If so, what is a better finish to use which will provide noticably better results and durability? Preferably one also sold by Johnson Diversey since I think they are the only ones we are setup to order from.
3. I have heard that in some very high traffic areas it is recommended to use sealer under the wax (or is it over the wax?) in order to increase the durability and lastingness of the wax. Is this correct?
4. If so, we have a ton of Johnson JX-4000 sealer which I thought of using when I read that you could use it with the wax, but after reading the box I saw it was for use only on concrete floors. So, if this is the wrong kind of sealer, what is the right kind?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post and hopefully answer my questions. I have been working on these floors for almost 2 years, so they are very important to me. Please provide any suggestions as to what we can do better. I am looking forward to learning from people who have been doing this for much longer than me
gary ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #2

Gary,

I also used to work for Wal-Mart, and have used the Johnson brand finish and strippers. I have used several different brands of wax since I've been on my own and I can guarantee that Johnson is not the worst, I actually thught it was pretty good considering the traffic that Wal-Mart gets.

Sealer goes on under the wax to seal the tile. There are some finishes that do not require sealer but check the label on your wax to see. Also check your order list for sealer to see what you can get, as Johnson has different "flavors

Hope that I could help.

Jinx
jinx 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #3

We just went to Johnson Diversity after using RMC for a number of years. We are using the Premia uhs wax and Bravo 1500 stripper. Both the wax and the stripper are much better than the RMC products we were using, but the daily cleaning chemicals are crap.

We were told not to use a sealer on our floor after our last whole store strip out and chemical changeover. I would get ahold of your Johnson Diversity rep and see what they reccomend, although ours has given us questionable advice before.

Also, we generally only apply 6 coats (3 per night) on new tile, or after a strip out and then only 2-3 on scrub and recoat cycles. Granted, we have a older floor and live in the salt belt (we get 3 months of almost daily salting in our lot).
Simple_serf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:11 AM   #4

johnsons ownes butchers

i am using butchers "above" floor finish

it is the best i ever used

look at it this way...johnsons is the chevy where Butchers is the Cadillac.
bigclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #5

I am a WalMartian floor waxer. Our store is abt 230K sq ft and undergoing a complete remodel, including floors, that started this month. We are a 24-7 supercenter and in the ice melt belt and get a lot of salt, too. Our back room concrete floors are epoxy coated and don't need to be sealed. I use sealer in the cart garages just off our entry ways once a year and also our entry ways before I wax them. We have green stamped concrete entry ways.
Like all WMs, we use Signature wax and I am very satisfied with it. We have found that the main aisles, called action alleys in Wal-speak, have at least three times the need for recoat than anywhere else in the store. We put about 12 THIN coats in those high traffic areas. They shine up like glass with a good sweep, scrub, buff and final sweep. The floors reflect like a mirror.
I think the wax application secrets to that kind of floor are to have lots of thin coats rather than fewer thick coats: I say it is like the three bears story, not too thin, not too thick, but just right. Then, recoat in a timely manner.
*Secrets* to good, longer lasting shine are getting the entire floor swept at least once a shift, getting good matting in the entryways, and a *sweep, scrub, buff, final sweep* crew that want good results and a patient crew member that takes the time to properly train people.
The biggest problem I see WM having is uneducated management and, too, I see it as part of our job to educate them in a *non agressive* manner. They have to *learn* why the floor is so important to their business, so teach them in a way they can understand.
Wal Mart has a maintenance manual on their computer based learning system. We know it and use it. I can't tell how many times I have refered to it when an assistant manager has asked for unrealistic results or when someone tries tweaking the floor care program.

Last edited by Wally Waxer; 06-06-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: unfinished accidentally sent
Wally Waxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #6

Default Floor finish

Have you ever tried Glossy Floor Finish by Trusted Clean? It works great and is very reasonably priced.
Floor_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #7

Default Wal Mart has a nat'l contract with Johnson Diversey

using Signature floor wax, exclusively. Signature finish shines up great starting with at least the the fifth coat. I finally got the mgmt to let me put eight to twelve coats. Twelve coats on the floor where the customers first step (but not on the edges) and fewer coats in the departments furtherest away from the doors. The dept fartherest away from the door has been stripped once and recoated twice in the last two years and we are a busy WM. These are not thick coats, but not too thin, they have to be just right-"three bears" theory.
I usually put the last couple coats only in the "cow trails", down the middle of the aisle, where the people, carts, and pallet jacks go since the edges of the aisles hardly get any traffic.
Our stripper removes about four coats per application so I have to be careful not to put too much wax along the edges, places where there is less wear. I can't spend that much time stripping and still get done in time for my shift to end.
I aim to spend more time top scrubbing and recoating or if the floor has gone longer, deep scrubbing and recoating, so I don't have to strip it so often.

Last edited by Wally Waxer; 06-09-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: x
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #8

Default Walmart workers

I am curious to those who wax floors at Wal-mart. What process do you use in applying the wax? Mop and bucket, t-bar (microfiber type pad applicator)?
mooreoftom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #9

We use t-bar/microfiber mop and pour the wax out of the box on to the floor. No bucket, no constantly wringing mop out.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #10

Wally Waxer,

Have you seen one of these finish applicators?
http://www.tuffysystems.com/

I have one and would sell it to your Wal-Mart as I don't have long Isle's that I do regularly. They cost $3000 new but it sure saves tons of time. You can control the thickness of the coat and put on more thin coats in one night with this machine.
mooreoftom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #11

Default Against WalMart Policy...

I don't think you'll have any luck selling to any WalMarts.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #12

Its very sad the diversey owns butchers , i am sure they will mess butchers up as well.
wal-dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #13

Yup i see your site thanks for offering flexible price.
dani_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #14

I was just wondering what kind of buffing program does WM suppercenter uses? I was also wondering what kind of buffing pads does WM uses?

Thank you
good n clean is offline   Reply With Quote