Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Interior Cleaning and Restoration > Commercial Cleaning > Floor Care

Old 10-11-2006, 08:56 AM   #1

Question waxing tile floors

I need to touch up areas on a vinyl commercial floor with wax. I stripped and waxed the floors 1 yr ago. Now under the rolling chairs are dark circles. How do I remove the dark stains and wax just that area (without doing the whole floor) to make it blend in with the old wax?
Just the same .. I want to strip and wax one room then do the hallway the following weekend. How do you blend the waxes where they meet at the doorway without leaving start and stop marks?
bizi5a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #2

I think you will have a very difficult time repairing the dark circles under the chairs. I would be supprized if there is any finish left on the floor. You may have to strip the floor down and refinish it. You can probably plan on 120 min. per 1000 sq. ft.
Regarding blending the finish between the room and hallway, most good finishes should blend well just by feathering the overlap. You will see the blend for a day or two untill they totaly cure but should be fine.
Randy
mvwallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Bob

I worked in a nursing home that believed that no matter what a floor doesn't need to be stripped more than once every 3 years! I've ran into that problem many times over.

What I do is scrub the room and in the affected area only, spray a light mist of baseboard finish remover aerosol. Don't let it sit too long. 30 sec to 1 min max. Run the buffer over it and rinse. Repeat as necessary. It'll remove just enough finish to get rid of the contamination, but won't remove all of the finish so it'll blend in. Then apply your new finish. This also works for deep scratches and stains.

If it's made it's way all the way to the tile and has began wear the tile itself down, what I do is apply an extra layer on that area in between the layers I put on the whole floor. That way it will have double the amount of finish on it thus building that area up higher than the rest of the floor and blending it in. This usually works if the damage to the tile isn't too bad.

If you have a stain on the bare tile that won't come up with scrubbing, put a little ajax or comet on it and scrub. Just be careful not to scrub too much and damage the tile. Rinse the area and continue to scrub the rest of the room.

I hope this works for you. Let me know how it turns out.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #4

Default Waxing Floors

HI, IF IAM WAXING CONNECTING ROOMS I USE PAINTERS MASKING TAPE MAKING THE JOIN UNDER THE CONNECTING DOORS WHEN THE WAX DRIES I PEEL OFF THE TAPE AND PLACE IT ON THE NEWLY WAXED SIDE NOW WHEN YOU WAX PAST THE TAPE YOU HAVE A PERFECT JOIN, WHICH WILL BE HIDDEN UNDER A CLOSED DOOR.
PIE DODGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #5

Great tip - thanks for sharing
t.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 PM   #6

This is what i was taught by a guy with over 40 years in the business believe it or not..
This is for informational purposes only and not to suggest this is applies to every circumstance. This may be usefull for commercial cleaners with multi year contracts for nightly cleaning.

For VCT.
1) Initial strip on the floor has to be perfect. No residual wax or stripper left. Tile to be clean
2)Use a sealer under heavy use areas such as where chairs are rolling over the floor all day or very heavy traffic conditions.
3) If a sealer is used you high speed buff before the finish is applied to get the maximum deep gloss when you apply your finish.
4)four to five coats premium finish

If the floor is maintained properly i.e. dust mopped and damp or wet mopped daily and scrubbing and recoating as per conditions warrent
(monthly,bi monthly,quartly every six monts whatever) you should not have to strip the floor again for 5 to seven years!
(If you use a finish that won't yellow)

What he has used for the past 20+ years and told me to use is Johnsons wax.
I have a busy doctors office that we first refinished 4 years ago
We scrub and recoat 1 per year and high speed buff 1 per month.
The floor looks as good as the first day we refinished.

This is easy for us because we maintain the floors ourselves daily.

Joey D.
770-792-9184
Joey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #7

Default Tile Floors

I have a very small but busy hospital that I'm pulling my hair out to maintain the floors. I just took this job and none of the floor techs know what they are doing really. They know the essentials but none of them are trainied properly. I've had two in-services but I think that the guy who did it didn't know what he was doing either. I have found some instructions but they all say do to do it differently. I also have another issue. BASEBOARDS!! They were never taken care of in the past and the hospital can't afford to replace them right now. Unfortunately, we are stuck cleaning them. Think 20 years of built up dirt and wax!! So this is an added challenge. I also can't seem to find a happy medium for cut-off lines. If we use masking tape our stripper runs right through, if we use duck tape it sticks to the floor. I've used the blue painter's tape too and nothing seems to help. We've also tried taping down plastic bags and sheets...still run over. I really need some help here. I have four levels of floors to do by february including these nasty baseboards. Fortunately I did find a good method for cleaning them...just really time consuming.
l_s07181983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #8

Try maintaining greasy restaurant floors. Micro fiber mops all the way!
aqualityassured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #9

If the area is small, instead of getting out the low speed buffer, and slinging stripper everywhere, tape the area off like "PIE" suggests, with a WIDE tape, then use about a half and half mix of stripping agent, on the area, and scrub with a doodle bug and the thin, black, aggressive stripping pads (ask your supplier), rinse the area carefully and apply sealer/finish. Buff the area with a high speed to blend the edges.
FloorScrubbersGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #10

Waxing floors is simple than it used to be, and individual frequently wax even no-wax floors now a days. Wax can be utilized, but resealing will long lasting. Before utilized any wax, your floor must be neat.

rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

Default Renown high gloss finish

Does any body used Renown high gloss finish? I got 7000 sf medical account with VCT tile and high traffic. After stripping and waxing floor it is going to be buffed once a week? I just want to know your opinion about Renown finish. Is this good choice or I should go with other brand?
staralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
J4K

The issue you are having is due to the wrong type of caster on the chairs. They have carpet casters (hard) and not casters that are made for VCT floors (have rubber on them). The wax is worn off over time down to the crown of the floor. You can ask your cutomer to replace the caster with the correct ones to prevent future problems. Here is an exampe of a business that would sell the correct caster, http://www.judahcaster.com/
As stated above your best bet is to tape of the area and scrub or strip and refinish. You do not need to use a sealer first, most if not all finishes today do not require a sealer being put down first and should blend well.
Good luck

https://www.facebook.com/pages/J4K-C...89116767802011

Complete janitorial services for Lincoln, NE

Last edited by J4K; 02-04-2013 at 01:58 PM.
J4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #13

Default Pricing for strip/wax job

Whats the going rate for strip /wax jobs in greenville ,spartanburg sc areas
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #14

Does anyone knows a website so I can bid on projects, for stripping, waxing and buffer commercial floors?
mario1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #15

Default flooring care bids???

Does anyone knows a website so I can bid on projects, for stripping, waxing and buffer commercial floors?
mario1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #16

most of the time the tile is cut or the seam is directly under the middle of a closed door. I use a scraper to scrape away the old wax for a few inches so when you apply stripper you have working room as not to apply stripper to the undesired area. After the desired room is stripped I use a sponge to wax a perfect line in I created, again to create a space so when I use a wax mop I have working room not to splash on undesired area. If in fact there is a door, when it is closed you should not be able to see the new wax from one side of the door and vice versa. Then to continue on in the future scrape your line wax with sponge ect. the scraper works great on center of room as well but you must create a square (ie don't do a half a tile) you can actually scrape the whole area under the chair without using stripper, if desired, and of course clean it up before waxing. A sponge or paintbrush around the tile seams. yes it will be new wax next to old wax but it sounds like time will take care of that without a chair pad being used. But even a chair pad will show where it has been sitting on the floor if it is not maintained under it regularly
janitor jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #17

Lightbulb Waxing Tile Floor

Waxing tile floors provides an attractive shine and a protective coating that makes the floors easier to clean. The wax layer also provides the tile floor with an extra edge against stains. Wax can build up over time, however, hence it is important to remove the old wax coating and clean the floor thoroughly before adding an additional wax layer to the floor
alicenikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizi5a View Post
I need to touch up areas on a vinyl commercial floor with wax. I stripped and waxed the floors 1 yr ago. Now under the rolling chairs are dark circles. How do I remove the dark stains and wax just that area (without doing the whole floor) to make it blend in with the old wax?
Just the same .. I want to strip and wax one room then do the hallway the following weekend. How do you blend the waxes where they meet at the doorway without leaving start and stop marks?
get agood cleaner to removes marks . wet the floor first then spray the area leave for a few minutes then take wet mop and it should take out the marks . go to a cleaning supply company and ask for a good stainer remover for vinyl floors .

do the room as normal to strip. you dont have to really strip. u can scrub it. then just re-wax the floor with a few coats of wax. vinyl tiles don' need seal then wax on them every year. the seals acts as a foundation for the wax. sealing only has to be done every 5 years. so when doing your hallway come out abit (one full tiles outside the doorway). then just overlap abit on the new wax. becareful when doing the machine in the doorway area. use the low speed on your buffer. good luck hope i helped u
mikythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:33 AM   #19

Thank you.. I was looking for this info..
evarr is offline   Reply With Quote