Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Interior Cleaning and Restoration > Residential Cleaning

Old 02-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #1

Question Cleaning 3000sq ft House

Hello Everyone,
I just need some help. This will be the first house I bid on. The issue that I have is that the guy wants to have his house cleaned weekly and is looking to have the house done for $75-80 bucks a week. The only issue that I see is that a 3/2 house with 1600 sqft cost that much to do around here. He has double the size and wants the same price. Should I try to take the job just to at least get a client so that I have a reference? The good thing is that he would be a weekly client which would bring in a steady income. It takes about 3 hours to clean a 1600sqft house I think? I wanted to know if that is correct as well. So if that is the case this should take double the time so 6 hours which means I am only making $13.33 an hour before my expenses. Please let me know what you think. I am in need of guidance.
ramosjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #2

Not everyone gets what they want. He may of paid that amount in the past, however if you are to run your business legit then you will need to charge more in order to cover your expenses.

Don't make mistakes rushing to get your first client, you will regret those mistakes for along time
t.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #3

High five to sister T. No business is better than bad business. You mention referrals. Whom will he refer? Other clients that want the same low price thats who. Soon you'll have a nice full book of jobs and you'll be making $400 a week. My nephew makes more than that stocking shelves in a grocery store.
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #4

If that is all your time is worth to you then go for it. But my thinking is you own a business, you have expenses like phone, insurance, gas, supplies, taxes, as so on. Why the heck would you even consider making 13 bucks an hour? Tell this guy where to stick it in a nice way and move on dude, it isn't worth it.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #5

Default HE?? No

I agree with all the responses above. We average out at around 25 an hour here where we live. And i complain about that at times. He may have had that done for that price but i can garuntee he was not grey headed at that point and time. The good ones will come around. GOOD LUCK. Thanks
opclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #6

Early last year I did a mailing campaign to others in the cleaning industry, I sent out over 2000 post cards to businesses that were listed in several states worth of yellow pages...... My rate of returned mail due to the business no longer being open averaged right around 25% of the total mailings!!! I found it sad to think that a large portion of those companies who had paid good money to be in the most recent yellow pages were now out of business, yet I do have to say that I can truly understand why when I see the resistance of some to see that it takes alot of work and perseverance to run a business

Another thing that a lot of first time business owners lack is the knowledge of what it takes financially to run a business. If you get it right in the beginning you will be a HUGE step ahead of at least 25% of your peers who too are just starting out and probably at least another 10 15% of businesses who are less than 5 years old.

Too, when you figure your costs, include a portion of future growth. That way when your equipment fails or you want to upgrade you will have the funds.

Just some more of my 2 cents worth
Old 02-08-2007, 12:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
Early last year I did a mailing campaign to others in the cleaning industry, I sent out over 2000 post cards to businesses that were listed in several states worth of yellow pages...... My rate of returned mail due to the business no longer being open averaged right around 25% of the total mailings!!! I found it sad to think that a large portion of those companies who had paid good money to be in the most recent yellow pages were now out of business, yet I do have to say that I can truly understand why when I see the resistance of some to see that it takes alot of work and perseverance to run a business
T

I applaud your out of the box thinking way of investigating your industry.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosjg View Post
Hello Everyone,
I just need some help. This will be the first house I bid on. The issue that I have is that the guy wants to have his house cleaned weekly and is looking to have the house done for $75-80 bucks a week. The only issue that I see is that a 3/2 house with 1600 sqft cost that much to do around here. He has double the size and wants the same price. Should I try to take the job just to at least get a client so that I have a reference? The good thing is that he would be a weekly client which would bring in a steady income. It takes about 3 hours to clean a 1600sqft house I think? I wanted to know if that is correct as well. So if that is the case this should take double the time so 6 hours which means I am only making $13.33 an hour before my expenses. Please let me know what you think. I am in need of guidance.
Ive been charging by the square ft recently. Look at the home first, if there is an extreem amount of dusting and clutter I charge .05 per sq ft, if it looks like an easy clean .04 per sq ft. 3000 sq ft minimum $120 per clean. Good luck!!
User430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #9

Hello All,
I just wanted to let you all know that we went out to the house and we put a bid in at $120.00. So as of now we have not heard a response.

Sincerely,
Jonathan
Old 02-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #10

Good for you, Jonathan. Never leta customer dictate price. They have no idea what you need to make to stay profitable.
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramosjg View Post
Hello All,
I just wanted to let you all know that we went out to the house and we put a bid in at $120.00. So as of now we have not heard a response.

Sincerely,
Jonathan
You may lose a few, that is common, however those jobs that you do land will be ones that you can live with and be proud of. Hang in there even this one may land in your lap soon, it is not uncommon for persons whom I give estimates to call me back even up to a couple of months later wanting service. *heck I just got a call last week from a lady that I did an estimate for over 1 year ago
Old 03-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #12

I can remember starting out with my first customer at a cheap price. Three years later that customer has helped me land a dozen regular current clients... Since she has been with me since day one, I have never raised her rate. She knows not to mention what she pays. I just told her she can quote what I get for a house like hers now, and she is happy to brag and tell her friends since her rate is sweet!
I could ask any of my regular customers for referrals and could easily double my work load if I thought my old body could do it...

When ever I clean I do it thorough hence the trade name I use "ThoroClean". That quality of service, being reliable, trustworthy, etc., is how I get top dollar for my work. I "average" $30 an hour, work alone, and would never even think about having employees. What is so nice about referrals is the potential client already knows what kind of service I provide and I just walk in and state my price and get it! I have only one customer from advertising on my website and they have been with me for over two years.

I tell them quality doesn't cost, it pays!

If you need the money then you have to bite the bullet and work cheaper. As time goes by and you have some houses to your credit, believe me you will be able to get your price once you make a few mistakes, get fast and organized and most important "confidence".

Get the "rep" then make the "cash"

Referrals are GOLD!!!!!!!

Did I mention that all of my customers are less then 8 miles from my house with 3 of them on my own street.

Good Luck

Last edited by manmaid; 03-06-2007 at 03:05 PM.
manmaid is offline   Reply With Quote