Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Interior Cleaning and Restoration > Residential Cleaning

Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Hard water spots

Is there any way to remove hard water spots from glass shower doors?
I have tried
Vinegar
CLR
Steel wool #000
Paste products for water spots that donít work

Steel wool works ok but it doesnít completely remove it.

Most of the houses we do are rental homes from property management companys so prevention in this case is not a option for us and most tenants dont care. Some of the ones we do you can barely see through the glass.

If any one has any thing that might help or any suggestios it would be
appreciated
CAPREM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #2

IF you are that serious, And you are very careful, you can use diluted muriatic acid with the 000 steel wool for the super tough cases I do suggest that you use caution and proper protective gear.

Most likely these doors are etched due to the long term accumulation of mineral deposits, I recommend waxing them once they are cleaned up to minimize the etched look

Last edited by t.peterson; 03-08-2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added additional thought
t.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #3

will the muriatic acid work on mirrors also. i clean a huge home that has a massive whirlpool tub and a "garden" (with real dirt/plants) planted around its perimeter. behind all of this is a mirrored wall with gross white chalky-looking spots all over the bottom portion of the mirrors from the water that has splashed on them from watering the plants with the shower massage attached to the tub. very rural location. their home is a mile down a dirt road 20 miles from civilization. so lots of well water issues here.

i have tried everything and perhaps the mirrors are etched. just curious. can you scrape the mirrors with a blade or use the acid and steel wool on mirrors? the homeowners feel that there is no solution but if i could fix it, i would love to.

suzi g
suzikg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #4

Yes, it will work on mirrors as well. Just make sure that the mirror is in tact and that the acid (or any liquids for that matter) don't get onto the silver backing as it will cause it to fail
t.peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #5

Default Hard Water

You can also try a product called Kaboom. It works very well and can be bought at local wal-mart or grocery store. Use the one for shower soap scum and hard water. I have well water at my own home and this product really works! As for using blads on a mirror...use a brand new blade and if you are not adept at using a scraper do not do it as the mirror is soft and scratches easy. Hope this helps.
JackieCleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:36 AM   #6

thanks for the mirror tips. good to know there may be hope for those mirrors. i'll get back when i try them out.

suzi g
Old 03-14-2007, 05:26 AM   #7

i like using tilex soap scum remover, with a magic eraser. this works for me.
thought i would give my opinion. ya'll have been good to help me.
da
happycleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #8

Barkeeper's Friend works wonders. Powder form no smell. Comes in a can like comet powder.
RoofCleaningNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #9

My secret is magic eraser x power w/ shower cleaner containing glycolic or oxalic acids such as the works or mean green. I live in a VERY Hard h2o area and this combo works wonders w/out damaging chrome or shower enclosures.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:47 PM   #10

Default Bio-Clean

i just bought this product. have been trying to clean glass shower doors for a long time to no avail. lots of rural homes.

a few minutes with a non-abrasive scrubbie & Bio-Clean transformed a 10 year crusty shower door to new panes of clear glass. homeowner was so happy that she did not have to replace the enclosure.

Have gone in to several homes with the big guns and other cleaners & razor scrapers and nothing has cleaned like this product.

i get nothing for promoting the product. It works. hope i am not violating a forum rule by posting the link.

http://www.detroitsponge.com/p-201-b...t-remover.aspx
Old 08-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #11

Checked the site, sounds good, I'm always open to safer products that get the job done! Thanks SuziKg
Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #12

Default Just thought I'd add my two cent

Im in N.Y.C., we like to use on water marks, to begin with environment safe: 1. vinegar and our faithful joy dish detergent.
2. for heavier, a product called grease lightening along with (you got it!) JOY.... shh don't tell nobody.
3. truthfully if these don't help I'm calling 1 of you guys ......

hope this info helps.....
Blayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #13

Iím using the Bath Power by OzKleen. You can buy it in places like Sainsburys, Tesco, Wilkinsons. It clean brilliantly with little effort and I found it was really good on the glass shower door. Only spray it on and wipe off. If the staining is bad then scrub with a plastic washing up brush and it cleans up a treat.

Best Regards,
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzikg View Post
i just bought this product. have been trying to clean glass shower doors for a long time to no avail. lots of rural homes.

a few minutes with a non-abrasive scrubbie & Bio-Clean transformed a 10 year crusty shower door to new panes of clear glass. homeowner was so happy that she did not have to replace the enclosure.

Have gone in to several homes with the big guns and other cleaners & razor scrapers and nothing has cleaned like this product.

i get nothing for promoting the product. It works. hope i am not violating a forum rule by posting the link.

http://www.detroitsponge.com/p-201-b...t-remover.aspx
do they sell to UK? i would love a solution to this very annoying problem, and i'm yet to find one.
imadam is offline   Reply With Quote