Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Interior Cleaning and Restoration > Residential Cleaning

Old 04-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Talking How to remove hard water stains from glass shower doors

Hard water stains; a major eyesore on glass.They can also be a pain in the butt to remove sometimes. For mild cases I recommend using simply vinegar,pure lemon juice and baking soda.

1. spray lemon juice directly onto stains and let set for couple minutes

2. mix vinegar and lemon juice in equal parts then add the baking soda to your solution until you get a consistency similar to that of soft scrub.

3.Using a scouring pad apply your mixture to the surface with small circular motions.For the corners you could use a toothbrush. you may hear a light fizzing sound,that would be the baking soda reacting with the liquids.When done rinse and smile.
Prevent new stains by spraying a solution of vinegar and water onto your shower doors frequently.

For tougher stains the most effective approach is the use of Cerium Oxide. You will also need a scrubber pad rated for glass and a spray bottle with water. This method is a bit more tedious by hand but the use of a buffing machine is recommended for pros only.

1. Mix your cerium oxide powder with water until you get a paste like result.(not too thick ,not too runny)

2.Apply to stains with scrubber pad and work in small circular motions. (work only sections at a time)Use the spray bottle to apply water occasionally and to keep paste from drying out. When you are satisfied with results wipe off and rinse section.Repeat procedure on new section of glass until entirely done. Prevent new stains by frequently washing with a solution of vinegar and water.
Mydust Cleaning Services provide clients in New York with an affordable ,non toxic alternative for cleaning home or office. Visit our site for more info and cleaning tips,or call us at: 516 559 7008 or 718 725 7327
http://www.mydustclean.com

Last edited by mydust cleaning services; 04-18-2010 at 07:00 PM.
mydust cleaning services is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydust cleaning services View Post
Hard water stains; a major eyesore on glass.They can also be a pain in the butt to remove sometimes. For mild cases I recommend using simply vinegar,pure lemon juice and baking soda.

1. spray lemon juice directly onto stains and let set for couple minutes

2. mix vinegar and lemon juice in equal parts then add the baking soda to your solution until you get a consistency similar to that of soft scrub.

3.Using a scouring pad apply your mixture to the surface with small circular motions.For the corners you could use a toothbrush. you may hear a light fizzing sound,that would be the baking soda reacting with the liquids.When done rinse and smile.
Prevent new stains by spraying a solution of vinegar and water onto your shower doors frequently.

For tougher stains the most effective approach is the use of Cerium Oxide. You will also need a scrubber pad rated for glass and a spray bottle with water. This method is a bit more tedious by hand but the use of a buffing machine is recommended for pros only.

1. Mix your cerium oxide powder with water until you get a paste like result.(not too thick ,not too runny)

2.Apply to stains with scrubber pad and work in small circular motions. (work only sections at a time)Use the spray bottle to apply water occasionally and to keep paste from drying out. When you are satisfied with results wipe off and rinse section.Repeat procedure on new section of glass until entirely done. Prevent new stains by frequently washing with a solution of vinegar and water.
very good info but were do you get the cerium oxide for and which one is the best
hendersonmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Cerium oxide is readily available online. http://www.nextag.com/cerium-oxide/search-html. There are different grades, naturally the higher the grade the better. (99.9% is best) Prices can vary greatly between grades. A pound of the stuff might run you about $35.
Mydust Cleaning Services provide clients in New York with an affordable ,non toxic alternative for cleaning home or office. Visit our site for more info and cleaning tips,or call us at: 516 559 7008 or 718 725 7327
Old 04-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Cerium oxide is readily available online. http://www.nextag.com/cerium-oxide/search-html. There are different grades, naturally the higher the grade the better. (99.9% is best) Prices can vary greatly between grades. A pound of the stuff might run you about $35.
which one do you buy form them
Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

What's the point of lemon juice and vinegar? Isn't that redundant?

And how do you know when the water stains are etched into the glass and is that what the cereum oxide is for?

I see etched glass in showers and outside windows a lot. If there's a cure for it, a cleaner could make a mint.
Spicnspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #6

Lemon juice and vinegar are basically two slightly different types of acids.Hard water stains are caused by calcium deposits which are suspended in the water along with other alkaline based minerals. The point of mixing the two is to ensure your PH level is adequate enough to counteract and break down the alkaline based stains.

Cerium oxide is actually a glass polish. It can and does remove etched in stains,by literally grinding down the surface of the glass very slightly,leaving you with a like new surface. In my 16 years of doing this, I have made many of my clients very happy with the results obtained by this method.

As far as making a mint,the only mint I've come across is in my chewing gum.Don't do it for just the money.

Last edited by mydust cleaning services; 04-20-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #7

etched in glass is one of the worst things when cleaning as it's hard to make it look good and is an area that a lot of estate agents want cleaned when it comes to the end of a tenancy.
imadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
there are many oxide on that site which one do you get and what is the right stop to take in use this produtcs
Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #9

Default www.cleanshowerscreen.com

After 12 months of frustration…I have finally found the one and only solution for your miserable, dirty looking shower screens.

Stay clean for 6months

www.cleanshowerscreen.com
derko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by derko View Post
some rubbish book about rubbish
gosh what a load of rubbish. buy me ebook of nonsense to read nonsense about something that you could read in 10 seconds for free. why the book? it makes no sense when you could say something as simple as "spray with white vinegar after each shower. done!" so what else would need to be in the book?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadam View Post
gosh what a load of rubbish. buy me ebook of nonsense to read nonsense about something that you could read in 10 seconds for free. why the book? it makes no sense when you could say something as simple as "spray with white vinegar after each shower. done!" so what else would need to be in the book?
mate you obviously don't have a clue what the book is about...yes your right anyone can clean a shower...but you don't know how to SEAL the shower screen so the soap scum an what not cannot penetrate the glass.

"spray with white vinegar after each shower. done!" pfffff

This is about a maintenance free shower screen...not clean after each shower!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #12

Quote:
mate you obviously don't have a clue what the book is about...yes your right anyone can clean a shower...but you don't know how to SEAL the shower screen so the soap scum an what not cannot penetrate the glass.
can i ask how i am supposed to know what the book is about? i'm looking but can't see any where explaining that
Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadam View Post
can i ask how i am supposed to know what the book is about? i'm looking but can't see any where explaining that
you must be a comedian...wake up to yourself will ya
Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #14

Quote:
you must be a comedian...wake up to yourself will ya
i was actually trying to help. as a buyer i have honestly no clue what the book is going to be about simply because you haven't bothered to even put a description about the book. as a potential buyer i get the feeling the book isn't about much hence the lack of material on the page.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #15

well the idea is...if you want a maintenance free shower screen for 6 months...purchase the ebook and you will find out how it can be done. step by step...the whole process takes 15min
Old 05-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #16

I don't think there is any such thing as a maintenance free shower screen.I will buy the book though,maybe there are some tips in there i can use.. Hey,all we're doing here is trying to help each other.. right?

Last edited by mydust cleaning services; 05-04-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:26 AM   #17

thanks for the tips..i'll try those..
Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #18

Default The vinegar alone may work

all by itself
Patch Carpet
Bad Dog!
Carpet Repair Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #19

great information..
thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #20

Thumbs up Scum Off Shower Cleaner

Scum Off Shower Cleaner! It is NON-TOXIC, Biodegradable and safe, not to mention in actually works! Do not use the harmful, toxic cleaners suggested here. Just take about a tablespoon of your Scum Off Shower Cleaner (it's a concentrated gel so it doesn't run down the doors) and apply it to a wet shower door or tub, let it sit about 30 minutes and wipe it away. No scrubbing, no fumes and no chemicals. It is safe on any surface water can touch so you don't have to worry about harming your faucets, fixtures, natural stone or grout. Also, once you get your shower clean all you have to do is dilute a tablespoon of the Scum Off Shower Cleaner to a spray bottle of water and it makes a daily shower spray for about 25 cents a bottle. You will be truly amazed at this product and your sinuses and elbows will thank you for giving them a break! It also has a 100% guarantee so if you try it on your hard water or soap scum and it doesn't work, you can get your money back.

Last edited by nicnicg22; 04-25-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: type-o in title
nicnicg22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass cleaning, hard water, hard water stain removal, window cleaning