Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Interior Cleaning and Restoration > Commercial Cleaning

Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #1

Default How do I get commercial contracts??

I just started a new commercial cleaning business, 2 weeks officially. I have just finished placing adds in the papers and joined my local Chamber of Commerce. What would be my next stage? Commercial contracts usually don't advertise so how do i find them? Please help!

Richard Whiteson
Shipshape Cleaning Service
Richard Whiteson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 PM   #2

Next stage is knocking on doors. Commercial account acquisition when you are a start up requires cold calling of some type.
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #3

ive been running my commercial cleaning business for 8 years now and how i got all my accounts was on the phone. I called and asked to speak with the general manager, and just asked if they needed any services done. You might call 20 places a day and only get 2 that say yes..but thats what you have to do. Once you get accounts, word of mouth spreads news of your work. People talk and go from one restraunt or office to another and might say they know a great cleaning guy..hope this helps
Imtheprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #4

Default Thanks Guys

I assumed that was the next step, either call or knock on doors. Thanks again. Great site for newbies like me!
Richard Whiteson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #5

so what would you say that the bulk of your clients are? small office spaces? also how often do you go to clean them and whats your average charge per cleaning?

I would have to saw its probably better to call people first then if that doesnt work get some business cards and start going door to door. There are alot of salesmen that come through and just make a introduction and leave a card and some info. besides gas is going way up and it will save lots to do this last.
=JT= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #6

I agree. I would consider making phone calls first. Maybe even leave your cards with a receptionist or talk to friends that work in office spaces.
layla17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #7

My company just started recently too, and we have been having some luck with flyers and the website. We received two calls; one because of the flyers, and one from the website. I guess we will have to get a long string of them and figure out the ratio as to which is the better producer. I wont drop the website, but would consider swapping direct mail postcards for the flyers. I will just have to wait and see.
UltraBrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #8

I agree with Kelly and the rest start making phone calls.
Pressure Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #9

I think knocking on doors is better idea ......

One Source Janitorial Service

Residential & commercial Pressure And Non Pressure Roof Cleaning.
All Over Florida ,FL 1-866-531-5264

Torrie
torrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #10

Your friends can be very helpful as well. I have a few friends that work in offices that have given me some inside information about how much they pay with their current Cleaning Company and what the office was not satisfied with. They can be very helpful in getting new accounts.
compacttuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #11

I been in business for about 1yr. I find cold calling works for me. I signed up for Go-Leads and I use Allpages.com to get some of my leads. It seems to be a numbers game. I found the two sites below very helpful in the beginning.

http://www.thejanitorialstore.com/in...ffID=cleanjean

http://job1000.cleanbook.hop.clickbank.net/
CleanJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #12

Ever tried Craigslist? Create 4 Craigslist accounts and post about 4 times a day; two in the morning and two at night. Each account will give you 2 posts a day. So, each day you will burn two posts per account... for two of the accounts. That leaves fresh posting ability for the other two.

Be sure that you create graphic posts. They tend to blow away the text posters. Make a graphic post, via Paint (on any Windows machine), then upload the image to Photobucket.com. Then use code to link the graphic to your website, so that when a prospective client clicks on your graphic ad, they are directed to your website. *Poof*.... website traffic and a possible conversion (money/sale).
UltraBrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:48 AM   #13

combo cold call and door knock if you want commercial cleaning jobs. Also try listing in the yellow pages and other directories. A good optimized website comes in handy also.
aqualityassured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #14

I heard that listing a commercial cleaning company in the YP's is a waste of $$$ today with all the Internet advertiizng and direct mail
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #15

First determine what kind of businesses you want to target. Then pick 10 and go get yourself (10) $5.00 gift cards. Next, visit those businesses and find out who the decision maker is, make sure they are available, and make the statement "I have a gift for __________". This will get their attention and make you stand out from all the other yahoo's that walk in the door.

Trust me, if you walk in and say "Mr. or Mrs.______________, I know you are busy and your time is valuable, I'd just like 5 minutes of your time, then, hand them the gift card, they will smile and say, come right in.

The key here is to have a good presentation of your service with a good brochure and business card. Be prepared to do a brief walk through and set a time up to do a complete bid. Follow-up, follow-up, follow-up. Your presentation rate will be 7 out of 10 decision makers, with 2-5 of those bids for cleaning and 1-3 booked jobs. Depending on the size of the jobs you book, your ROI will be extremely high, and the longer you have the account, your ROI will almost increase to infinity- a $50 investment could yield many thousands of dollars in revenue streams.
FloorScrubbersGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #16

Default Getting Cleaning Accounts

Different methods work for different people. I have tried using the phone, but have not had success with this method. For me the recipe that has worked is this: 1) create a quality information rich website - not just a single page with generic phrases and contact information. Show the customer that you know your stuff. 2) create a brochure or postcard with some information about your cleaning service with your website on it. 3) go door to door passing them out. Try to hand it directly to the person in charge of cleaning contracts. I find that instead of having the attitude of "I need to close the sale", I have the attitude of "I'm just offering them information." I have heard the phrase "aim to be next" which is quite true. The prospective clients probably already have a cleaning company, you just want to position yourself to be next in line if/when they become dissatisfied with their current cleaners.

Bremerton Window Cleaning and Janitorial
april1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #17

Very good tip, if you try to do a hard sell in cleaning, it usually backfires since you will over-sell your service and this translates into unrealistic expectations from the customer.
FloorScrubbersGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #18

Floorscrubberguy, that sounds like a pretty good presentation. I think I'm going to incorporate that in my marketing. I haven't done too much door too door marketing because I haven't thought of a good way to set myself afpart. Thanks for the tip.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." - J.E. McCullough
ryanrachael1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #19

My ex girlfriend used to work for Bonus Building Services (franchise cleaning company). They had 2 people on the phone and those 2 people kept the bidder busy 5 days a week 8 hours a day. So I figured what the hell.... even though I didn't think I'd like the prices,waiting for pay and the time that would be spent dealing with employees. Plus, it usually involves floor work at one point or the other and I HATE dealing with floor work... but, I hired me a phone girl. We had so many bids I quickly gave it to my friend to get it out of my hair. So if anyone is serious about getting commercial work, this is the way to do it. You get about 1 bid a day at first.... on the phone for 5-6 hours and 1 bid scheduled.... but you will learn what works for you after the first 3-4 weeks.

The option for most is this.... sit on the couch and watch Dr. Phil and complain about not having any work, or get on that phone.... it's up to each individual to make themself successful....

Last edited by sprintcar93; 03-27-2011 at 11:06 AM.
sprintcar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Whiteson View Post
I just started a new commercial cleaning business, 2 weeks officially. I have just finished placing adds in the papers and joined my local Chamber of Commerce. What would be my next stage? Commercial contracts usually don't advertise so how do i find them? Please help!

Richard Whiteson
Shipshape Cleaning Service
May I ask you what is your cleaning industry experience ? Do you have any background in this field ?

Los Angeles cleaning
Office cleaning Los Angeles
We provide office cleaning and commercial cleaning in Los Angeles
SwissClean is offline   Reply With Quote