Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Interior Cleaning and Restoration > Commercial Cleaning

Old 10-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Default Is it possible to start office cleaning business for 300 dollars?

I know 300 dollars isn't that much to start a business. But i have to work with the capital i have now. I have recently gain an interest in owning my own office cleaning business. I think it would be the perfect business for me. I see a big potential in this business, and i don't mind cleaning. My question is will i need more money to start out, or is 300 dollars good.

Which equipment should i be looking at. The vaccum will probably be the highest portion of my budget. So i want to spend wisely. Also another question i have is will people care if a guy cleans there office. I know that some men have there own cleaning businesses, but will it be harder to gain clients being a guy.
hademade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #2

Default Start on $300.00

You believe that men rarely own cleaning businesses or clean commercial buildings?
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
jahra352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hademade View Post
I know that some men have there own cleaning businesses, but will it be harder to gain clients being a guy.
I know I have never had a problem with it. On the commercial side it defintly isnt an issue. I also do residential cleaning and many of my women clients get a kick out of having a 20 year Army servicemember clean their house.

Im sure I have lost 1 or 2 clients (usually younger ones) because I am a male but it isnt a problem.

Not sure where you got your statistics from though about men not owning cleaning companies.
themag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #4

To answer your question about $300 being enough to start, I would say no. You could do it on the residential side (I think) but most companies that will hire you will want some sort of insurance proof. For me, Thats about $600 per year. I guess you could find one allows you to pay installments though.

If not supplied (none of my clients supply cleaning equipment), you are going to need some sort of vaccum. Dont go to WalMart and buy a cheaper. You will lose creditibilty quickly. A good shoulder carried vaccum will run you about $350-$500. Look on Craigslist though for a used one. Dont forget Mops, Brooms, Mop Buckets, Chemicals, etc.

Here is the kicker on Commercial cleaning though. You wont get paid for almost 45 days. For example, say you start a service on Nov. 1. Most companies (not all but many) will want a bill at the end of the month. AFTER you dio the cleaning. Then, depending on terms, they wont pay you for 15 days after they receive the bill. (My terms are NET 15). So, is $300 bucks going to buy you all this stuff plus supplies for 45 days? Tough question. In this example you wouldnt get paid until Dec 15.

Hate to be a downer on this but wanted to give you an honest answer. With that being said, you can start a Residential Cleaning Company for $300. Best thing about that is they pay you the same day. What I did (and suggest you to do the same since money is tight) is to start on the Residential side then once you have a bankroll gradually move over to the commercial side.

It isnt easy to start any business and the cleaning industry is no different. Be persistent and hustle your tail off and you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

Rich
themag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 AM   #5

If you are doing the cleaning yourself then may be. But if you want to hire workers then No.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by themag33 View Post
To answer your question about $300 being enough to start, I would say no. You could do it on the residential side (I think) but most companies that will hire you will want some sort of insurance proof. For me, Thats about $600 per year. I guess you could find one allows you to pay installments though.

If not supplied (none of my clients supply cleaning equipment), you are going to need some sort of vaccum. Dont go to WalMart and buy a cheaper. You will lose creditibilty quickly. A good shoulder carried vaccum will run you about $350-$500. Look on Craigslist though for a used one. Dont forget Mops, Brooms, Mop Buckets, Chemicals, etc.

Here is the kicker on Commercial cleaning though. You wont get paid for almost 45 days. For example, say you start a service on Nov. 1. Most companies (not all but many) will want a bill at the end of the month. AFTER you dio the cleaning. Then, depending on terms, they wont pay you for 15 days after they receive the bill. (My terms are NET 15). So, is $300 bucks going to buy you all this stuff plus supplies for 45 days? Tough question. In this example you wouldnt get paid until Dec 15.

Hate to be a downer on this but wanted to give you an honest answer. With that being said, you can start a Residential Cleaning Company for $300. Best thing about that is they pay you the same day. What I did (and suggest you to do the same since money is tight) is to start on the Residential side then once you have a bankroll gradually move over to the commercial side.

It isnt easy to start any business and the cleaning industry is no different. Be persistent and hustle your tail off and you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Thanks for the honest answer, you have to wait to get paid in the business. I don't want to loose creditibilty either. So i will save more money before i start the business.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahra352 View Post
You believe that men rarely own cleaning businesses or clean commercial buildings?
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
Well i don't, its just that i thought people would prefer women to clean there homes or offices
Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #8

its very difficult to start a cleaning business with 300 dollars specially if you hired workers..
Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 AM   #9

To start and get a few contracts, YES! To do business and stay in business? NO! Let me explain. I started my first commercial cleaning business several years ago with 100.00. I secured about 4-5 contracts in a few weeks then it was a time to invest money on equipment, Insurance, etc....so 300 may be a good starting place, but you better have some more money to invest not long after.
PropertyGLO79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #10

Hi all,
I think that 300 dollars are not sufficient to start a cleaning business. You require more money and good contacts. When you have good contact and client then you can broad your business without investing so much money. As I have experienced this money is not enough for commercial cleaning. However, you can take some projects of house cleaning.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #11

I do agree with katty. People are having enough equipments for cleaning in their home. They hire some one when they need it on extra large base and you should have those heavy equipment and experience.
Experience mean a lot. Either you dont need 300 dollars for it.
mark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #12

Default Getting more exposure

For any start-up cleaner, getting your name out is important, especially when you're on a tight budget. For new house cleaners, you can list your company on Angie's List. This way, you get in front of more consumers and can focus more on supply and travel costs.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #13

Hello Hademade,
Your question about starting a cleaning business is a good one, but I believe a little premature. I reviewed the replies so far and didn't find mention of some very important things (like a license or downtime remedies).
I have successfully started a number of service industry businesses and began each effort as a sub-contractor or team member of an existing business. Your addressing start-up questions in this forum is a commendable step, but you won't actually learn the a to b, b to c steps of the industry until you work in it. Working with an existing company will steadily guide you through your very necessary training and provide on going cash flow as necessary.
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not suggesting you don't tell your future teachers of your plan. Tell them your goals honestly and you may find a support team for life.
Little steps result in the strongest foundations. Good luck with your efforts!
Years from now they won't remember what you did. They probably won't remember what you said. They may not even remember your name. But I promise you... they will always remember exactly how you made them feel. - unknown
FacilitySupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #14

This may not be sufficient balance to start office cleaning business.But if you show dedication towards your business then every thing possible.Best of luck.

alexisalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #15

Depends on what sort of office cleaning?

You wont be able to clean carpets or buff floors, but $300 spent right will get you some cleaners and gear and maybe a small ad somewhere. Maybe you could build a website and do some seo in your spare time, but I definitely think you can.

As for will male find it harder? Yes, I believe there is as much sexism against guys as there is against women and this is one of those glaring areas. Some people just don't trust guys cleaning their general wares, that's their decision of course, but I still think it's only a smaller percentage like maybe 10% at a guess.

Funnily enough people are the same with female carpet cleaners as they would rather have a guy do the job, so I wouldn't worry about people's prejudices just yet.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #16

I believe that $300 is certainly sufficient.
You will not be able to work on bigger or specialized jobs.
But you will need some experience from small jobs, first or else you will lose all $300
busy_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #17

It really all depends. But if you can get some really good deals and put your mind to it, you will be able to make do. Good luck.
riflekush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #18

$300 are very less amount to start a business. Cleaning services required a high and quality products and equipments and these products and equipments are expensive. Although, for starting business it requires a proper planning and strategies.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #19

Most of the company spend the major part of their business expenditure in advantaging. It for getting customers. If you want to run a little business than you may start with that. if you can manger customer by your own without any cost, than it is ok. It is not always necessary to start with a big one. Start it .. Good luck
Old 05-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #20

Default Re:

Yup
Work hard------Play hard.

You can start your business but effort is most necessary to success.
dani_01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
300, dollars, guy, office cleaning, vaccum