Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum  
    Home     DIY Forum     Woodworking     Advertise     Contact Us  
Search
Go Back   Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum > Exterior Cleaning and Restoration > Wood Cleaning & Restoration

Old 02-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Default Flood Stain?

Does anyone use Flood stains on a regular bases? If so how does it hold up?
Pressure Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #2

Flood stains are hard to manage. I'd suggest absorbing as much of the moisture as possible. Damages may occur and so on...Tricky
Marie Dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #3

What damage are you speaking of? Who doesn't let the deck dry before applying?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #4

I don't believe any of the Flood stains are penetrating. This means they lay on the surface of the wood, much like a paint. Once the coating starts to wear, either from the sun, or from furniture being moved around, (on a deck) the surface must be stripped and then resealed.

We prefer to use ready seal. It is a penetrating stain, and can simply be washed and recoated when needed.
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

I was wondering how long it really holds up.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #6

Default Flood Stains

Flood stains do penetrate.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #7

I'm with flooding timber for painting outdoors and in most cases, the color flooding Stain. The results are excellent, I can guarantee beyond the restoration and preservation of wood, work without fear!

Flood protection is beautiful products are designed to protect natural forests and work on many other surfaces.
mold removal tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #8

Default Flood Stains

Looks like I'll have to give it a shot.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #9

Flood is one of the better brands for a cheaper exterior stain. I think their oil based stains are better than their acrylics.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #10

Default Flood Stain

We have been using Sikkens for years and Flood is part of the Sikkens family.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #11

I've used Flood on my old deck, then tried Ready Seal last year. The difference was night and day.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #12

You are absolutely right Phil. The Flood stain doesn't compare to Ready Seal. Here is an example of a deck railing that had been coated in a "film forming" flood product, CWF. Notice the stain is actually laying on the surface, not penetrating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flood Stain failure.jpg (96.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Flood Stain stripped.jpg (95.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #13

It is less likely to hold up for long as it is not so good at penetrating. Will get worn off over a period of time
cleanway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #14

Here are a few tips to a better stained deck:
1. Prepare your wood before you stain your deck. Apply a wood preparation liquid that seeps through the pores and prepares the wood for the stain. If the stain does not penetrate the wood, they will lay on the surface and peel off faster.
2. It is a good idea to contain a stain that includes pigment. Pigments increase the life of a stain. Semitransparent stains have a longer life than solid stains.
3. Identify stains that will do well on horizontal and vertical surfaces. Most stains cannot handle foot wear and tear, dirt and dust abuse, sliding items. Find a stain that can withstand all these. Flood's deck (semitransparent) stains guarantee that their paints will not come off in three years.
4. Select colors that can go well with the exteriors of your home. Sometimes the clashing colors give a garish outlook. The two-tone colors look wonderful on large decks.
5. Lay your deck well so that there is adequate support for your deck. Sometimes, because of inadequate planning the deck bends on one side causing the paint at that end to look shabbier.
6. It is also essential to remove all previous paints from the deck. Scrub the surface till the wood gleams from within.

Test to check if Wood is ready.
katty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by katty View Post
Here are a few tips to a better stained deck:
1. Prepare your wood before you stain your deck. Apply a wood preparation liquid that seeps through the pores and prepares the wood for the stain. If the stain does not penetrate the wood, they will lay on the surface and peel off faster.
2. It is a good idea to contain a stain that includes pigment. Pigments increase the life of a stain. Semitransparent stains have a longer life than solid stains.
3. Identify stains that will do well on horizontal and vertical surfaces. Most stains cannot handle foot wear and tear, dirt and dust abuse, sliding items. Find a stain that can withstand all these. Flood's deck (semitransparent) stains guarantee that their paints will not come off in three years.
4. Select colors that can go well with the exteriors of your home. Sometimes the clashing colors give a garish outlook. The two-tone colors look wonderful on large decks.
5. Lay your deck well so that there is adequate support for your deck. Sometimes, because of inadequate planning the deck bends on one side causing the paint at that end to look shabbier.
6. It is also essential to remove all previous paints from the deck. Scrub the surface till the wood gleams from within.

Test to check if Wood is ready.
That's what I mean. I'd give it a try. Seems quite efficient. Thanks for the plan.
Marie Dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #16

Thanks for the tips guys, I haven't tried this product, but think I will give it a shot. Where do you buy the Randy seal?
Mold Tampa Removal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #17

Sun Brite Supply
Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #18

Today, Flood is one of the best producers of specialty wood stain and paint additive solutions, with products designed to restore, protect and enhance the natural beauty of wood. Most important is the quality and durability of their products. As I already mentioned above, I always choose this brand for any exterior wood surfaces such as decks, fences or sidings. I am usually handling large exterior painting projects, offering years of warranty without concerns.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #19

I do use their wood cleaner for my garden deck cleaning. Best is that it does not enclose bleach in it so wont damage fibers of wood or its usual look.
mark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanway View Post
It is less likely to hold up for long as it is not so good at penetrating. Will get worn off over a period of time
I agree with you. I have used it once and it isn't so good at penetrating.

Last edited by martingh; 01-13-2012 at 06:08 AM.
martingh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck staining