Nobody actually likes cleaning the house, but it is a necessary thing to do once in a while. If you drag your feet and hate every second of it, it’s only going to take that much longer. Instead, try some of these cleaning hacks to make the process quicker and easier. You’ll wish you’d known them sooner!
1. Keep your old dryer sheets – Even after they’ve been used, dryer sheets have a variety of uses. Use them to buff water stains on your bathroom mirror or shower door. Use them to wipe the inner ring of your toilet. You can even use them to wipe away dust from your baseboards and trim. Instead of throwing out your used dryer sheets, keep a few handy to take advantage of this cleaning hack.
2. Clean your stainless steel – Stainless steel appliances are great, but they collect fingerprints very easily. The simplest way to clean them (without buying pricey cleaning products) is to add a little rubbing alcohol to a clean microfiber cloth. Once the surface is clean, polish it with a little baby oil to make it shine.
3. Give your old pans new life – If you have a favorite pan covered with burned food, fill it with water then add a cup of white vinegar. Bring the mixture to boil then remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Let the mixture cool then wipe it out and rinse clean.
4. Clean your computer – You probably don’t want to think about it, but your computer keyboard and mouse are breeding grounds for bacteria, not to mention all the gunk that gets stuck between the keys. Clean the keyboard with a little white vinegar and a microfiber cloth, using a cotton swab to clean the areas between the keys. Use a little vinegar diluted with water to clean your screen.
5. Hassle-free microwave cleaner – Microwaves can acquire food grime very quickly but cleaning it is easier than you think. Combine equal parts vinegar and water in a microwave-safe bowl then add a toothpick and set it on high for 5 to 10 minutes. Let the microwave cool for a few minutes then wipe it down with a paper towel. It’s that easy!
6. Sprinkle baking soda on your couch – Your couch sees a lot of daily use, so it makes sense that it will acquire some stains over time. Rather than wasting your money on expensive cleaners, just sprinkle it liberally with baking soda, let it set, then vacuum it using the brush attachment.
7. Wash your light fixtures – The light fixture in your home are probably not something that you give a lot of attention, but they accumulate dust and dirt very easily. To clean them quickly, just throw them in the dishwasher! Just make sure you run a drying cycle to reduce spotting.
8. Use a sock to clean your blinds – When you try to use a duster on your blinds, you probably just end up spreading the dust around. Instead, try spritzing a sock with diluted vinegar then slide it over your hand and use it to clean the slats.
9. When in doubt, use baby wipes – If you have mystery stains on your upholstered furniture, try using a baby wipe to clean it up. Baby wipes are gentle and they don’t have a lot of moisture so you don’t run the risk of spreading the stain.
10. Shake out your window treatments – Instead of dealing with the hassle of removing window treatments and throwing them in the washer, give them a good shake to dislodge dust and dirt. Then, just vacuum them from top to bottom and you’re done!
Cleaning your house may not be fun, but by employing some of these cleaning hacks it can be quick and easy. Just give them a try today!