Baking Soda Stain? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Baking Soda Stain?

So about 2 months ago I spilled kool-aid on my carpet after a night of partying and, because I'm an idiot, didn't try to clean it up for another couple of weeks. I know this was very stupid of me. I finally came to my senses and realized I will probably lose my deposit on my apartment if I don't clean this up. I tried regular carpet cleaner that didn't work, club soda, and rubbed at it for hours but saw no improvement. Finally i tried a baking soda and hydrogen peroxide solution that seemed to take care of it when I used it. However, when the carpet dried it left a white stain where the red stain used to be. I'm afraid I may have over saturated my carpet in the process of trying to clean it. Is there any hope to get this stain out or should I stop trying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 AM

I suggest you to stop trying by yourself. If you have discoloured the carpet, I do not know how you can fix it. You better consult with a professional carpet cleaner.

I love cleaning and gardening!
post #3 of Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Flush the area w/water, extract w/a shop vac or wet vac, you need to get everything out. There's a chance you may have ruined the area w/everything you've tried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM

For New Stains

• 1Remove any excrement and blot the entire wet area immediately and firmly with a clean, white, absorbent towel or cloth.

• 2Pour a small amount of liquid detergent onto the cloth or towel and rub stained area with just enough firmness to remove the stain.

• 3Mix together 1 quart warm water and 1/2 cup white vinegar.

• 4Slowly dribble the mixture onto the stain.

• 5Place several clean, dry, white towels over the stained area.

• 6Walk over the wet area several times to absorb excess moisture.

• 7Place books or other heavy objects over the area.

• 8Allow the objects to stand on the area for 4 to 6 hours.

• 9Remove the towels.

• 10Use a soft-bristled hairbrush to raise the nap of the carpet.

post #5 of Old 04-11-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annatriumph View Post
For New Stains

• 1Remove any excrement and blot the entire wet area immediately and firmly with a clean, white, absorbent towel or cloth.

• 2Pour a small amount of liquid detergent onto the cloth or towel and rub stained area with just enough firmness to remove the stain.

• 3Mix together 1 quart warm water and 1/2 cup white vinegar.

• 4Slowly dribble the mixture onto the stain.

• 5Place several clean, dry, white towels over the stained area.

• 6Walk over the wet area several times to absorb excess moisture.

• 7Place books or other heavy objects over the area.

• 8Allow the objects to stand on the area for 4 to 6 hours.

• 9Remove the towels.

• 10Use a soft-bristled hairbrush to raise the nap of the carpet.

I don't think this will work in this case..

I love cleaning and gardening!
post #6 of Old 08-12-2014, 06:38 AM

Thank you for the informative posts.
post #7 of Old 10-18-2014, 08:03 AM

Mostly baking soda is used as stain removal, I didn't know how to remove baking soda's stain. Thanks for this helpful information.
post #8 of Old 11-05-2014, 10:13 PM

It is not a baking soda stain. You damaged the color with the products you used.
post #9 of Old 11-06-2014, 12:56 AM

Capet gets discolored by baking soda, you can not get the same color of carpet because natural color is gone, you should stop trying.
post #10 of Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 PM

Pretty sure he stopped, this was back in 2011
post #11 of Old 11-11-2014, 12:20 PM

Take professional's help in this case. They are the best persons to guide you in this situation. Though baking soda can be used to clean carpets, still in cases like you it leaves a mild stain.
post #12 of Old 05-29-2015, 04:08 AM

Well-marketed stain removers usually do the job they claim they do — they get the stains out of clothing and fabrics. The enzymes they use to remove the stains are great, but the chemicals additives can irritate sensitive skin and instigate an allergic reaction.

Plus, if the stain remover comes in a spray bottle, each use spreads its chemical particulates around the house and contaminates your indoor air quality.

There are plenty of natural ways to remove stains without chemical additives, and you probably already have them in your kitchen or bathroom.

Club soda is the first thing most people grab when they spill a drink. Club soda is just water infused with carbon dioxide, and sometimes a little salt or baking soda. There are mixed reviews on whether club soda works any better than plain water… sometimes it does (the salt and baking soda help), and sometimes it just spreads the stain further onto the fabric.
Baking soda and distilled white vinegar are more proven ingredients for removing a wide range of stains on most fabrics.
Cornstarch is great for food grease and can be used on leather, silk, or other delicate fabrics.
Hydrogen peroxide works well on organic stains such as wine, chocolate, grass, blood, or yellow armpit sweat.
There are also conscientious brands that sell highly effective enzyme stain removers without chemical additives.

Treat stains as soon as possible, and ideally before the fabric is put into the washing machine. If the stain is fresh, carefully lift what you can without pushing the stain further into the fabric…

Food stains: Use the edge of a dull butter knife to gently remove residual food without rubbing the stain.
Liquid stains: Be careful not to rub the stain. Instead, carefully blot it with a dry cloth.

Dirt Removal Melbourne
post #13 of Old 05-29-2015, 04:09 AM

Nice post....thanks for the information.
post #14 of Old 05-29-2015, 09:47 AM

Interesting posts. Thanks.
End of Tenancy Cleaning Millbank
post #15 of Old 06-05-2015, 07:53 AM

Very usefull information.
post #16 of Old 06-07-2015, 09:52 PM

I also believe that the carpet is beyond repair. I would personnaly consider getting a piece of the same carpet (possibly from the apartment management.) and try to cut and glue. Or, as others have mentioned, call in professional help.
post #17 of Old 06-25-2015, 04:04 AM

I always use the old baking soda I take out of the fridge or freezer and put it down the disposal. I add vinegar to make it bubble up and get to every part inside. This keeps it smelling clean and fresh. When I turn it on to rinse, I add a cup or two of ice cubes and let it run until the cubes are gone. I understand this keeps the blades sharp.

Horse Arena Footing

post #18 of Old 07-12-2015, 10:06 AM

nice
post #19 of Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 AM

Baking Soda and Vomit

The smell of vomit can linger even in clothing that has been washed. Sprinkling baking soda on the site and rubbing it in can help remove the smell when it is washed. This is especially help with baby spit-up.

Baking Soda and Fruit/Wine Stains

Fruit and wine stains need to be treated imeadiately, but if you're in a hurry, pour a little baking soda on the stain, and then later run hot water through the back of the stain.

Baking Soda and Sweat

A baking soda paste can be useful in banishing sweat stains and odors on clothing. Rub the paste onto the clothing before laundering. Tough stains may need to let the paste sit for 1-2 hours.

Baking Soda and Blood Stains

Baking soda rubbed onto a dampened blood stain can help lift the stain from the fabric.

soil removal Melbourne

Last edited by oliviathomas; 11-07-2015 at 02:45 AM.
post #20 of Old 08-10-2015, 07:27 AM

I also suggest that you call a professional when dealing with such problems. Baking soda should be carefully treated, because if mixed with some detergents can literally destroy your carpets fibers. Calling a professional will ensure you harmless treatment and better results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode