Carpet Traffic Lane Cleaning - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-15-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
JMI

Carpet Traffic Lane Cleaning

Recently I cleaning some long cut pile carpet. You could call a shag i guess the fibers were about 1 inch long maybe slightly less. It was definitely longer than your avarage residential cut pile. While my customer was pleased with the results and even stated that It looked better than the last company that cleaned the carept. I was not so happy with the result. Here is my process
1. vacuum
2. pretreat with chemspec formula 77 with biosolve
3. agitate fibers and allow about 30 minutes dwell time
4. Hot water extract with a Rotovac 360i (with new felt) and Rotovac CFX
5. Apply fiber rinse
6. Hot water extract with manual push wand and or 360i and CFX

To me the carpet still looked slightly dirty. It was leaps and bounds cleaner than it was I just expect better results. If anyone has any ideas on what I might do differently please chime in.

Last edited by JMI; 04-15-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: fixed spelling errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-16-2012, 01:40 AM

So your carpet cleaning process involves extraction twice both with a buffer then a hot water extractor unit?

Sounds like it should be an unbelievable clean. Do you agitate with a pole brush or a machine?

Maybe it was just wear that was showing through the pile, sometimes that leaves a fair shadow
post #3 of Old 04-16-2012, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
JMI

Typically I use a Grandi brush to agitate. No buffer was used its more of a power wand. It's weird because old wine and pet stains came up with almost no effort. But those traffic lanes looked not so good. Check it out I've attached a before photo. I didn't get an after photo.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 PM

That's one filthy looking carpet. Your system's solid and I'd expect it to do a really good job, however what we all have to realize as carpet cleaners is we can't win 'em all. Sometimes you just get a bad one an no matter what you try, you just can't clean it to a level you'd be personally happy with.

Don't overestimate customer honesty either, people will tell it is one thing, but the truth can be entirely different.

If I had a dollar for every customer who wanted an "average" size lounge done, only to arrive and find a grand ballroom the size of fenway park.

The only thing I could think that would help would be optical brightener formula, but that would probably make a dent in this photo.
post #5 of Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
JMI

CoastalCleaner,

Thank you for your input. Can you give me a product name of an optical brightener? I like to do a little research.
post #6 of Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
JMI

After reading this article I think I'll stay away from the brightners.

http://www.icsmag.com/Articles/Colum...100000f932a8c0
post #7 of Old 04-17-2012, 11:40 AM

Good photo, looks like the carpet is damaged. It seems to have some red in the middle of the walkway. A brightener will not do any good there. Just clean it as normal and see whats left. It looks like the carpet was clean with lots of soap, so you will have to get that out. Its possible that you may need an acid wash, or brown out. What ever you use in that direction. After the brown out, let us know how it went. Remember that carpet is considered damaged and really should be replaced because of the wear.

Good luck to you and let us know what happens there.

Carpet Cleaning San Ramon
Expert Carpet Cleaning
San Ramon CA. 94582
(925)884-0207
post #8 of Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
JMI

I spent 1 hour on a 4'x 7' piece of carpet. It's as done as its going to get. I've learned a lesson with this one. Like I said the customer was happy with the results. She and her husband wrote the check for $50.00 more than the estimate. I really wanted to impress on this project. The wife is a real estate agent in a very upscale part of town. the potential for future business is huge.

As for the brown out isn't that more for coffee stains? As for an acid rinse, the fiber rinse I used is on the acid side.

I can't be the only one running into this issue. What am I missing? To me the long nap of the carpet might be playing a role in the issue.

What do you use to remove the existing soap?

Thanks again for all the input. Please keep it coming I'd like to investigate all possibilities.
post #9 of Old 04-17-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMI View Post
I spent 1 hour on a 4'x 7' piece of carpet. It's as done as its going to get. I've learned a lesson with this one. Like I said the customer was happy with the results. She and her husband wrote the check for $50.00 more than the estimate. I really wanted to impress on this project. The wife is a real estate agent in a very upscale part of town. the potential for future business is huge.

As for the brown out isn't that more for coffee stains? As for an acid rinse, the fiber rinse I used is on the acid side.

I can't be the only one running into this issue. What am I missing? To me the long nap of the carpet might be playing a role in the issue.

What do you use to remove the existing soap?

Thanks again for all the input. Please keep it coming I'd like to investigate all possibilities.
There is a new product out called grey out or something like that for badly worn traffic areas. Pros choice makes it. Looks very dirty in high traffic are which we all know wears the carpet terribly. That being said here's what I would have done. Pre treat with Chemspecs enz-all, agitate with groomer, 5-10min dwell time, steam it out with crazy heat from out TM and extract. That's all you can do unless trying that new product I mentioned. Good luck

Family Time Cleaning
8723 huntfield st
Tampa FL 33635
(727)742-5677
http://familytimecleaning.com/
post #10 of Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
JMI

MCatt do you find carpets as seen in the above photo restore well with your process (high heat and TM)? Do you usually see carpets like this leave a shadow as previously mentioned by CoastCleaner?
post #11 of Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM

the best cleaning services.. try it
mangomaids.com
http://www.calgaryguttercleaners.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode