Did I over charge or under charge my customer? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-08-2008, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Question Did I over charge or under charge my customer?

being that this room is pretty active, let me please ask this...Today I was called to do a water extraction on a building where the faucet broke. there was water in just about every room. I extracted out of 10 room and a utility room. The rooms on average where about 10 x 12, I also extracted the hall way. So it was a little over 1200 sq. ft. I was there for about 3.5 hours and spent 75.oo dollars on the carpet vaccums. I invoiced him a total of 875.00. Was this over priced, or under priced? Please give me input on this, so that I can kick my own butt for underpricing or call him back for over pricing. Keep in mind this is only my second job ever and im trying to learn as I go. Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-08-2008, 11:29 AM

I guess my question would be to ask how you performed the job without giving at least a ballpark estimate. Keep in mind for every job like this with a nice profit, there will be five in your learning stage where you will take a bath. As you go along, you will figure out where you have to be to make money and close sales at the same time. A good rule of thumb is if you are closing 50% of your estimates while performing a good sales call, your prices are right where they chsould be. If you close higher, raise prices by 10-15%

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #3 of Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyr20 View Post
being that this room is pretty active, let me please ask this...Today I was called to do a water extraction on a building where the faucet broke. there was water in just about every room. I extracted out of 10 room and a utility room. The rooms on average where about 10 x 12, I also extracted the hall way. So it was a little over 1200 sq. ft. I was there for about 3.5 hours and spent 75.oo dollars on the carpet vaccums. I invoiced him a total of 875.00. Was this over priced, or under priced? Please give me input on this, so that I can kick my own butt for underpricing or call him back for over pricing. Keep in mind this is only my second job ever and im trying to learn as I go. Thank you all!
I don't specialize in water extraction or restoration, but if it were simply extracting the area I would have probably charged less then half of what you did. After expenses you were still averaging over $200 an hour. I don't know what the national average is for that type of work but if he agreed to it then I guess it's irrelevant.

For that price I could see the customer expecting to have all the water extracted, have air movers placed everywhere to expedite the drying process and then restore any damaged materials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-10-2008, 04:40 PM

How Much???

I just got paid for a 1200 sq ft water extraction/restoration that I did on Oct 2, 2008. The Blue book on this job was around $6500.00 and I settled with the insurance company for $5765.00. It took until today (nov 10th) to get the check, but you made 800.00 and I profited about $5000.00

Remember, if you just extract the water off the carpet, all the water is not gone. Did you take relative humidity readings, wall and floor moisture readings, temperature readings ( all inside and outside)?
Did you calculate the cubic feet of the area?
I placed 10 air blowers and 2 dehumidifiers in the office i did, for 3 days.
We also extracted the water, then injected/sprayed MicroBan CCS, and re-extracted that. Putting down an antimicrobial is important and it makes you all that much more money. I suggest you get a contractors blue book and look at the carpet cleaning / water restoration prices for your area.
ServPro quoted my customer about $4900.00 if he was paying in advance, and almost $12,000.00 if it was to be filled on insurance.

If you are going to do restoration, you better have insurance to cover your ass if something goes wrong, and you better have some formal
training and a certification of some kind ie: IICRC.

Hope this helps you see that although you made 800.00 & you are probably thinking that was OK, wouldn't you feel better with $5,000.00 in your pocket? If you want to be a professional, get professional training, have professional certifications, and charge like a professional. You Deserve it!
post #5 of Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Texas-Carpet-Pro View Post
I just got paid for a 1200 sq ft water extraction/restoration that I did on Oct 2, 2008. The Blue book on this job was around $6500.00 and I settled with the insurance company for $5765.00. It took until today (nov 10th) to get the check, but you made 800.00 and I profited about $5000.00

Remember, if you just extract the water off the carpet, all the water is not gone. Did you take relative humidity readings, wall and floor moisture readings, temperature readings ( all inside and outside)?
We also extracted the water, then injected/sprayed MicroBan CCS, and re-extracted that. Putting down an antimicrobial is important and it makes you all that much more money. I suggest you get a contractors blue book and look at the carpet cleaning / water restoration prices for your area.
ServPro quoted my customer about $4900.00 if he was paying in advance, and almost $12,000.00 if it was to be filled on insurance.

If you are going to do restoration, you better have insurance to cover your ass if something goes wrong, and you better have some formal

Hope this helps you see that although you made 800.00 & you are probably thinking that was OK, wouldn't you feel better with $5,000.00 in your pocket? If you want to be a professional, get professional training, have professional certifications, and charge like a professional. You Deserve it!
That's what's up!!!!

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #6 of Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM

It depends to your performance.. If you did well.. I can say that you can overcharge the price..
post #7 of Old 11-02-2009, 06:56 AM

Why you start working with giving estimate to your customer.
post #8 of Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM

A good target to shoot for is $200 per hr when the TM is running IMO. That being said I'm not sure as to how you did the flood extraction? Portables or TM? You said you bought vacuums? Need more info and details really.

Carpet cleaning in Los Angeles

Carpet cleaning in Pasadena

Trojan Carpet Care
504 Del Monte st
Pasadena, Ca, 91103
(626) 393-5965
http://trojancarpetcare.com
post #9 of Old 09-08-2012, 01:34 AM

It is not over charged definitely you did hard work and they should pay for it. You should discuss with your client in stating that how much payment he can give you.
post #10 of Old 09-10-2012, 03:32 AM

Over charge is not fair and it's not the business tactics. Also, under charge is a loss for yourself. So, lets decide yourself and charge accordingly
post #11 of Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Texas-Carpet-Pro View Post

Texas is right..... you should be insured and it sounds like you skipped many steps in the water damage process. Antimicrobial, blowers, dehumidifier, and the list goes on and on. If not done correctly, you can run into a lot of problems.
post #12 of Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 AM

Yes it totally depends on your work.
post #13 of Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 AM

pricing

what kind of prices do our American cousins charge for thier services to give you an idea hers what we charge

hall, stairs and landing 90 euro/$120
beedrom 12x12 60 euro/$80
dining room 80 euro/$105

how does it compare?

check me out at cleanbright carpet cleaning in Dublin
any ways to improve website , nice replies only
post #14 of Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanbright View Post
what kind of prices do our American cousins charge for thier services to give you an idea hers what we charge

hall, stairs and landing 90 euro/$120
beedrom 12x12 60 euro/$80
dining room 80 euro/$105

how does it compare?

check me out at cleanbright carpet cleaning in Dublin
any ways to improve website , nice replies only
13 stairs will come out to be $65. We charge by square feet....so and average house would have about 500 sqft which would come out to be $275.00, stairs extra.... protector would be extra unless it is commercial. The more square feet cleaned the cheaper we charge per sqft.
post #15 of Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyr20 View Post
I think it really just depends on how the whole job came out. If it came out well and they were happy, then you are right about where you should be. We try and never get below 200 an hour with any of our services.
post #16 of Old 07-14-2013, 04:24 AM

I am looking to get into water damage restoration and I appreciate the info on this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode