Dry or Steam cleaning? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Dry or Steam cleaning?

Let's comment on the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Best Regards
who offers the best carpet cleaning, professional cleaning services? Help me find carpet cleaning London.
Glad are carpet cleaning London reliable and eager to improve my carpet cleaning skills.

Last edited by Marie Dupont; 08-09-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 AM

I am for the steam carpet cleaning cause it uses less chemicals. Sounds greener.
post #3 of Old 08-09-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Do you have any experience with steam cleaning? Is it the best way to clean spots?

Best Regards
who offers the best carpet cleaning, professional cleaning services? Help me find carpet cleaning London.
Glad are carpet cleaning London reliable and eager to improve my carpet cleaning skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Wondering if the dog knows that it's the next to be steam-cleaned? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NfvCWndwUo

Best Regards
post #5 of Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 AM

I agree that steam cleaning is better choice because of the less use of chemicals. The steam is known to kill most of the bacteria.
post #6 of Old 08-09-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

i trust you with that, but what are the disadvantages of dry cleaning then.

Best Regards
post #7 of Old 08-10-2010, 02:38 AM

Steam cleaning is better for sure but only if whoever operates the machine is doing it properly and sucking up the excess water thoroughly and not rushing it like many carpet cleaners seem to do.

Dry cleaning from what I have seen just isn't able to penetrate deep into the carpet pile to remove all the dust and dirt like steam cleaning can. It will remove the stains for sure but as far as a thorough deep clean of the pile goes, I don't believe it can deliver that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
post #8 of Old 08-10-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

1Ox for the comprehensive response, Andrew! I'm just curious, does the steam harm the carpet, a nylon carpet for example?

Best Regards
post #9 of Old 08-10-2010, 09:06 PM

no problems

Steam doesn't harm nylon no. The only thing is with wool carpet you have to make sure you get out as much of the moisture as possible as the carpet can shrink and smell if it is left to dry too wet. You also have to be careful to suck up as much water as possible on any carpet because you don't want to get the underlay wet as that can take days to dry and it will smell for ages after.
post #10 of Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycar View Post
no problems

Steam doesn't harm nylon no. The only thing is with wool carpet you have to make sure you get out as much of the moisture as possible as the carpet can shrink and smell if it is left to dry too wet. You also have to be careful to suck up as much water as possible on any carpet because you don't want to get the underlay wet as that can take days to dry and it will smell for ages after.
Good advice, Jay! How come I hate so much carpet cleaning?!

Best Regards
post #11 of Old 08-11-2010, 03:51 AM

Nobody likes carpet cleaning. It's exhausting and always takes a lot of your spare time.
post #12 of Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Wolly View Post
Nobody likes carpet cleaning. It's exhausting and always takes a lot of your spare time.
Yeah, a soul mate.

Best Regards
post #13 of Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 AM

Steam cleaning rocks. Though we have to consider the what are we cleaning. Can you clean stains from the wallpaper with steam? I don't think so.
post #14 of Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 AM

But you cannot clean wallpaper with dry cleaning,either. Which makes me think about how can you clean a wallpaper actually?
post #15 of Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
But you cannot clean wallpaper with dry cleaning,either. Which makes me think about how can you clean a wallpaper actually?
You just change it when it's dirty. You cannot clean it.

Best Regards
post #16 of Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 AM

post #17 of Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Smart.
and time-saving

Best Regards
post #18 of Old 08-11-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Instead of spending time cleaning, you can just renovate and redecorate your house. Wallpapers serve for that.

Best Regards

Last edited by Marie Dupont; 08-12-2010 at 03:11 AM.
post #19 of Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM

Why have wallpaper these days in the first place...it's so...Bree?
post #20 of Old 08-12-2010, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycar View Post
Why have wallpaper these days in the first place...it's so...Bree?
Good point jaycar. In order to avoid cleaning the wallpaper, just do not use it at first place.

Best Regards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode