Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

How to Clean a Leather Sofa

9K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Baquer 
#1 ·
Top grade animal hide devoid of any blemishes is usually just treated with aniline dye. Therefore, this type of leather is called aniline leather. This is as natural as you can get and you can see the leather's natural characteristics. Also, to preserve its suppleness, no other protection is applied on it. The next in leather grade is semi aniline leather. As the name hints, this is not pure aniline leather - a protective coating or color pigments have been applied to it. Some manufacturers prefer to add more pigmentation to the leather in order to even out the coloring due to consumer preference instead of leaving it as natural as aniline leather. However, this pigment is applied on top of the leather instead of the color absorbing into the leather. As the processes of adding more coatings of protection or coloring increases, the stiffer the leather becomes and this takes away from the natural beauty of the leather. On the plus side, however, the coatings help protect the leather from absorbing stains and spills. Leather that has gone through few treatment processes are very easy to stain.

With this in mind on the different types of leather, you have to evaluate how careful you will be with a new leather sofa. If you want durable, easy to clean furniture, then a cheaper leather sofa with a protective coating is your choice. To clean it, a wipe of a damp leather cloth will do. However, if you are a careful person then a semi-aniline leather sofa or even a pure aniline leather couch might be more to your liking. Be careful though, as these couches require professional cleaning once in awhile to get rid of surface dirt.

For More Info CALL @ 727-820-1306

See less See more
#3 ·
I have had leather furniture for years and have very good results cleaning with Lexol leather cleaner diluted with water. I buy the cleaner in large sizes because I have numerous leather pieces as well as two cars with leather upholstery and I mix it 50/50 with distilled water and then pour into a spray bottle.

Regards,

#6 ·
Your leather sofa is one of the most well-known kinds of furnishings, and also it is very costly. So, it is very essential to understand how to effectively fresh your leather couch. Correctly washing your leather couch will create it last much more time. While washing your couch might be a little overwhelming, it is simple if you understand how to fresh it in a correct manner.

#10 ·
leather cleaning

Good info, I like how you come across with your information. Right now we are just using a leather cleaner and conditioner together by ChemSpec. I see that may not be the way to go. So far we are only doing car leather and some furniture that is easy to clean. One thing that I do is that I rub in the cleaner with my hand and then wipe with a towel. The leather will be a bit tacky at first but dries fine with a smooth clean feel. I will look more into this and try to understand the different types of leathers.

Thanks for the info, all of you.:thumbup:

#14 ·
Jeff hit it right... I have been cleaning leather for years and the only leather I like cleaning is Pigmented Leather which is what you would find in cars and most homes. natural leather which would show blemmishes and scars are nice but can be difficult to clean easily. Bottom line is when you use the right products the job will go well. I also use my bear hands to work in the cleaner and then wipe off with a clean towel.
Hope this helps....

#15 ·
I also use my bear hands to work in the cleaner and then wipe off with a clean towel.
Hey Chuck,

I hope you take great care not to damage the surface with those bear claws!

I prefer to use my bare hands as my fingernails are not as long or sharp. :laughing:

(No offence intended - just could not resist the quip)

#17 ·
A Guide to Cleaning Leather Sofas

All the tips below come from professional London cleaners. They are tried and trusted techniques.
Firstly, using a soft brush attachment, vacuum the furniture in order to remove any visible signs of dust or suck away any loose particles on the surface.

Use a gentle soap. Ideally a soap that could be used for delicate clothes or a saddle soap

Gently wipe a small amount of mild soap using a cloth.

Avoid using tissue papers or paper towels as these could get embedded in the leather. Use a micro fibre cloth to minimise damage and effectively clean.

Using a separate clean cloth, wipe the piece of furniture with cool clean water.

Try not to wet the cloth excessively to avoid exposing leather to moisture.

Repeat until all soap residue has been removed.

Leave to dry naturally and keep away from direct sunlight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.