How to Clean a Leather Sofa - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-05-2009, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

How to Clean a Leather Sofa

Top grade animal hide devoid of any blemishes is usually just treated with aniline dye. Therefore, this type of leather is called aniline leather. This is as natural as you can get and you can see the leather's natural characteristics. Also, to preserve its suppleness, no other protection is applied on it. The next in leather grade is semi aniline leather. As the name hints, this is not pure aniline leather - a protective coating or color pigments have been applied to it. Some manufacturers prefer to add more pigmentation to the leather in order to even out the coloring due to consumer preference instead of leaving it as natural as aniline leather. However, this pigment is applied on top of the leather instead of the color absorbing into the leather. As the processes of adding more coatings of protection or coloring increases, the stiffer the leather becomes and this takes away from the natural beauty of the leather. On the plus side, however, the coatings help protect the leather from absorbing stains and spills. Leather that has gone through few treatment processes are very easy to stain.

With this in mind on the different types of leather, you have to evaluate how careful you will be with a new leather sofa. If you want durable, easy to clean furniture, then a cheaper leather sofa with a protective coating is your choice. To clean it, a wipe of a damp leather cloth will do. However, if you are a careful person then a semi-aniline leather sofa or even a pure aniline leather couch might be more to your liking. Be careful though, as these couches require professional cleaning once in awhile to get rid of surface dirt.

For More Info CALL @ 727-820-1306
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-18-2009, 03:50 AM

hey nice info about aniline leathers. Do you have any info about Faux Leather as well as Nubuck/ Buffed / Suede Leather!

if you have plz post some info on leathers it will be appreciated
thankx
post #3 of Old 11-20-2009, 05:03 AM

I have had leather furniture for years and have very good results cleaning with Lexol leather cleaner diluted with water. I buy the cleaner in large sizes because I have numerous leather pieces as well as two cars with leather upholstery and I mix it 50/50 with distilled water and then pour into a spray bottle.

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM

hey thanks for posting this information, i appreciate it!

thanks once again!
post #5 of Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM

One of the best ways is to call the manufacturer and find out the exact products they allow to use on it so you don't void the warranty. Carpet cleaning in Tampa

Family Time Cleaning
8723 huntfield st
Tampa FL 33635
(727)742-5677
http://familytimecleaning.com/
post #6 of Old 08-18-2012, 12:25 AM

Your leather sofa is one of the most well-known kinds of furnishings, and also it is very costly. So, it is very essential to understand how to effectively fresh your leather couch. Correctly washing your leather couch will create it last much more time. While washing your couch might be a little overwhelming, it is simple if you understand how to fresh it in a correct manner.
post #7 of Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 AM

Leather sofa is very hard to clean but if you have to make your home look better than you have to clean it everyday. For that you can also take the service from home cleaning company, which is best option for it.
post #8 of Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 AM

I have lather sofa at my home and office as well thanks for sharing the info about cleaning here.
post #9 of Old 10-25-2012, 02:30 PM

Leather is an animal hyde and needs to be cared for. We clean leather furniture with Leather Masters from Bridgepoint Systems. It's a three step process (clean, condition and protect) It does a better job than an all in one cleaner/conditioner.

Fred T. Gruber Jr.
On The Spot Carpet Care

Serving Apex, Cary, Holly Springs, Fuquay Varina and Raleigh NC
post #10 of Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 PM

leather cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mold removal tampa View Post
Top grade animal hide devoid of any blemishes is usually just treated with aniline dye. Therefore, this type of leather is called aniline leather. This is as natural as you can get and you can see the leather's natural characteristics. Also, to preserve its suppleness, no other protection is applied on it. The next in leather grade is semi aniline leather. As the name hints, this is not pure aniline leather - a protective coating or color pigments have been applied to it. Some manufacturers prefer to add more pigmentation to the leather in order to even out the coloring due to consumer preference instead of leaving it as natural as aniline leather. However, this pigment is applied on top of the leather instead of the color absorbing into the leather. As the processes of adding more coatings of protection or coloring increases, the stiffer the leather becomes and this takes away from the natural beauty of the leather. On the plus side, however, the coatings help protect the leather from absorbing stains and spills. Leather that has gone through few treatment processes are very easy to stain.

With this in mind on the different types of leather, you have to evaluate how careful you will be with a new leather sofa. If you want durable, easy to clean furniture, then a cheaper leather sofa with a protective coating is your choice. To clean it, a wipe of a damp leather cloth will do. However, if you are a careful person then a semi-aniline leather sofa or even a pure aniline leather couch might be more to your liking. Be careful though, as these couches require professional cleaning once in awhile to get rid of surface dirt.

For More Info CALL @ 727-820-1306
Good info, I like how you come across with your information. Right now we are just using a leather cleaner and conditioner together by ChemSpec. I see that may not be the way to go. So far we are only doing car leather and some furniture that is easy to clean. One thing that I do is that I rub in the cleaner with my hand and then wipe with a towel. The leather will be a bit tacky at first but dries fine with a smooth clean feel. I will look more into this and try to understand the different types of leathers.

Thanks for the info, all of you.

Carpet Cleaning San Ramon
Expert Carpet Cleaning
San Ramon CA. 94582
(925)884-0207
post #11 of Old 10-30-2012, 04:06 AM

Leather is a special type of material that requires special cleaning techniques. From my experience, the best tip for cleaning a leather sofa is to clean it using saddle soap or leather dew once a week with a soft cloth.
post #12 of Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Cleaning leather sofas are somewhat tedious and you have to take care of it during cleaning. You should avoid using chemicals on your sofas. Instead of that you can use warm water and vinegar if stains are there.

Get furniture for office at affordable prices
post #13 of Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 AM

Really Nice and effective tips thanks!!!
post #14 of Old 11-30-2012, 03:26 PM

Jeff hit it right... I have been cleaning leather for years and the only leather I like cleaning is Pigmented Leather which is what you would find in cars and most homes. natural leather which would show blemmishes and scars are nice but can be difficult to clean easily. Bottom line is when you use the right products the job will go well. I also use my bear hands to work in the cleaner and then wipe off with a clean towel.
Hope this helps....
post #15 of Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck blanton View Post
I also use my bear hands to work in the cleaner and then wipe off with a clean towel.
Hey Chuck,

I hope you take great care not to damage the surface with those bear claws!

I prefer to use my bare hands as my fingernails are not as long or sharp.

(No offence intended - just could not resist the quip)
post #16 of Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 PM

bear claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolton View Post
Hey Chuck,

I hope you take great care not to damage the surface with those bear claws!

I prefer to use my bare hands as my fingernails are not as long or sharp.

(No offence intended - just could not resist the quip)
The claws grow sooooo fast, hard to keep up with. Thanks for the fun John Bolton.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode