How To Get Clean Mold.... - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-07-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

How To Get Clean Mold....

Living with mold around is very unpleasant. Not only are they hazardous to your health, they are also eye sores. Learning how to clean mold would help you deal with them as soon as they are discovered.

Mold is everywhere; they are just so minute that they are invisible to the naked eye. When they accumulate, that is when we see them. Molds are made up of microscopic fungi that grow on moist areas. So the basic rule to prevent molds is to keep areas dry.

Not all molds are harmful because there are cultured ones that are used to make foods and medicines. The only ones we need to get rid off are those that spontaneously grow in unwanted areas which may cause certain respiratory diseases and allergic reaction to humans.

There are different ways on how to clean mold, this depends on where they are located. If they are in smooth and open surfaces, they can be removed by wiping. A sponge or rag together with water and a bit of soap would be sufficient to accomplish the job.

For rough and hard to reach surface, it would be best to take more vigorous action such as the use of spray equipment which is called power cleaning. Media blasting is an example of which, this uses baking soda or dry ice to remove molds.

Your goal in cleaning molds should not be to have a sterile final result but to just have the visible ones eradicated. You cannot totally eliminate them anyway, what you can do is prevent cross-contamination by not using moldy materials you used for cleaning in areas not infected by molds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-27-2010, 05:22 AM

First, let's start with how to clean mold from your bathroom, where mold grows like a teenager on steroids. We use vinegar. It's good stuff. You'll want to spray vinegar in all the places where mold grows most easily. This includes places like the sealing underneath your faucets, on your shower curtains, in the grout of your tile floor, or near the edges of the linoleum, if that's what you have for flooring. I mop our bathroom floor with vinegar often. Mold that hides in other places around your home can be gotten rid of just as easily as the mold in your bathroom. Your kitchen, for example, is the perfect place for mold to grow because remnants of food and the dark space in cupboards and the moisture are what mold thrives on. If you have a dish drainer drying thing like we do, spray that down with vinegar every night, as well as your cutting boards and anything else that comes into contact with food on a regular basis.
If it's hot and humid out, use an air conditioner to help get rid of mold. Mold nubby the humidity; in fact, it's practically necessary in order for mold to grow. Some people say around 65-70% relative humidity is necessary for mold to grow. So, you're going to put that air conditioner to good use because it'll control the humidity in your home during the summer months. You'll want to buy a hygrometer (or any other way to measure relative humidity), and keep your home between 30%-50% relative humidity, or RH.
If it's cold outside, you'll want to use a dehumidifier to control mold growth in the home instead of an air conditioner. Duh. Well, not everyone has a dehumidifier. Honestly, we don't need one. It's quite dry in our apartment, thanks to the hardwood floors and our Minnesota winter. But if you need a dehumidifier, you may want to splurge and get one that measures relative humidity, to keep your home at an RH that is both comfortable and prohibitive to mold growth. 30%-50%, remember?
Because of carpet's natural tendency to soak up dirty and moisture, carpeting is poses the greatest challenge when getting rid of mold. You have a couple of choices here; you can either take your carpeting out and replace it with hardwood flooring (which can kill a number of birds with one stone in terms of household problems), or you can dust your carpet with baking soda on a regular basis, letting it sit for several hours and then vacuuming it up.
post #3 of Old 03-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Its funny how some say use vinegar and other preach against it. We find the best place for mold is the hardwood floors--just love those things since we are continually finding mold in and under those buggers. Some hardwoods are sealed better than others but underneath is normally mold since the mold has a source of good food to spur growth.
To date over 1,000 mold jobs completed so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 PM

Shark Steam Mop

Shark Steam Mop is a home appliance that is used to cleaning purpose.
Shark Steam Mop Reviews
post #5 of Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 PM

Hello friends,

"Ecover Surface and Glass cleaner" is a product which uses plant-based alcohols to do its dirty work on mold, mildew, and soap scum.It may even substitute one of those big brand shower sprays.
post #6 of Old 04-15-2010, 09:03 AM

I washed molds with vinegars and warm water..It is really hard to clean but because it's not nice to look ate and it has stinky smell,I put efforts in cleaning it.
post #7 of Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 PM

Mold Cleaning Tampa

Mold can be cleaned and removed with soap and water. Some people think that you must use bleach in order to kill mold. This is not the case. The proper procedure is to remove the mold and not just kill the mold.
post #8 of Old 10-04-2011, 04:41 AM

Prevention is better than cure. There are some preventive methods available as well for mold.
post #9 of Old 10-08-2011, 07:15 PM

I am a Upholstery cleaners New York and for me vinegar and luke warm water serves best for washing molds.
post #10 of Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 AM

The best weapon against mould is bleach, which is chlorine-based. It removes the spores immediately. And I have to tell you that all of the mould removing detergents sold in stores are also chlorine-based.
Of course, if you want a safer solution, you can use pure white vinegar.

I love cleaning and gardening!
post #11 of Old 11-01-2011, 03:40 AM

I'd rather try to kill it using some of the mighties mould removers and then prevent any future growth by using tea tree oil sprays and salt. Some chemistry once in a while is quite handy.

Best Regards
who offers the best carpet cleaning, professional cleaning services? Help me find carpet cleaning London.
Glad are carpet cleaning London reliable and eager to improve my carpet cleaning skills.
post #12 of Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 AM

I hate to wash mold even i tried many methods to wash it but unfortunately i am unsuccessful.
hope some one has better answer.
post #13 of Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 AM

There are several products and solutions you can use to kill and remove mold. Some of the most effective mold removal products include Bleach, Borax, Vinegar, Ammonia, Hydrogen peroxide, Detergent, Baking soda, Tea tree oil, Grapefruit seed extract.
post #14 of Old 12-01-2011, 06:09 AM

Your goal in cleaning molds should not be to have a sterile final result but to just have the visible ones eradicated. You cannot totally eliminate them anyway, what you can do is prevent cross-contamination by not using moldy materials you used for cleaning in areas not infected by molds.

Sorry but my goal is going to be to have "sterile final result"

Carpet cleaners Brandon Fl
Carpet Doctor
212 East Ross Ave.
Tampa fl 33602
(813)440-8335
post #15 of Old 04-27-2012, 01:44 AM

Thanks for sharing this great tips to clean mold from our household items, it was really helpful...
post #16 of Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 PM

If your walls are covered in black stains, you shouldn't go it alone. They may be a sign of a much bigger problem; call a pro. However, to remove occasional brown or black spots from painted walls, mix up a solution of one cup chlorine bleach and one gallon of warm water
post #17 of Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 PM

I like the first two posts. I have some mold in the creases of my stand up shower that will NOT come up :/
post #18 of Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 AM

To rescue old books, air the pages outside on a sunny, breezy day for three (or more) hours. Once they're dry to the touch, brush off the mildew with a dry cloth. To remove any remaining stains on books, wipe gently with a soft cloth dipped in a solution of 1 part chlorine bleach to 4 parts water (wring it well first).
post #19 of Old 05-17-2012, 07:25 AM

Mold removing is a very tedious job and I always prefer cleaning companies for removing mold and these companies gives very effective results.
post #20 of Old 06-06-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melijack View Post
Mold removing is a very tedious job and I always prefer cleaning companies for removing mold and these companies gives very effective results.
Yes, I am agree removing mold is tedious job. It is best to hire the cleaning companies for removing mold and these companies gives best results. Using companies is big decisions don't just call firstly do some research regarding a particular companies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode