How to get shampoo smell out of chair? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-21-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

How to get shampoo smell out of chair?

Hey all,

I bought an office chair from Craigslist and decided to clean it. The cushions are covered in fabric, not leather.

I bought a can of carpet/upholstery cleaner at Walgreens (I know, probably a big mistake), the kind with the brush on top. I rubbed a lot of the shampoo into the cushions, scrubbed it, and then wiped it off with a damp towel.

It cleaned the cushions just fine. The only problem is that now the chair stinks of shampoo. It smells like dog shampoo. Yuck! Even worse, it makes my clothes smell like the shampoo. So sad!

I've tried washing the cushions with club soda. Had limited success with this, but the chair still smells! Is there any way I can get this smell out of the chair? Will it go away on its own? Or is the situation hopeless?

Thanks for your time & help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Response

Did you try an ordinary spray like febreeze?

www.bbceaningservice.com/blog
www.bbcleaningservice.com
post #3 of Old 07-22-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

febreeze

Well, I have not tried Febreeze yet, but wouldn't that just be covering up one smell with another? Or do you think Febreeze would actually remove the shampoo smell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5 of Old 07-30-2011, 07:47 PM

I used stanley steemer recently, they were a little bit expensive but they did the job well and if you call and explain the problem they will let you know if they think they can get it out or not
post #6 of Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Did you use any chemical detergent?
i hope it's work.
post #7 of Old 11-24-2011, 09:21 PM

You can try the febreeze, but to complete remove the odor you need to extract the detergent or cleaning solution from the chair completely. A deodorizer will just mask the odor for a couple of days.

Alberto Rivero
High Steam Carpet Cleaning
(727)288-3008
Carpet Cleaning Tampa
post #8 of Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 PM

I would rather have a soap smell than the alternative.

Carpet cleaners Brandon Fl
Carpet Doctor
212 East Ross Ave.
Tampa fl 33602
(813)440-8335
post #9 of Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 AM

I think you should use soap or perfumes for getting rid of smell of shampoo.
post #10 of Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 AM

Rub with baking soda and rinse. Is the smell that bad? Most shampoos smell of perfume.

Best Regards
who offers the best carpet cleaning, professional cleaning services? Help me find carpet cleaning London.
Glad are carpet cleaning London reliable and eager to improve my carpet cleaning skills.
post #11 of Old 01-24-2012, 05:43 AM

You can try to remove the smell with club soda. But in most cases, that has limited effect, it depends on the type of the shampoo. Or you can use hot water extraction method that requires steam cleaner.
post #12 of Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM

I will suggest you to try ordinary spray like febreeze or Hot water extraction. We provide professional Rugs Cleaning service and we have done this many times clients as added service.
post #13 of Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Contact a bed bug company or any company that might have industrial heaters and offer them a little cash to set once of their heaters up in your garage long enough to heat the ambient temperature to one hundred thirty degrees for one hour. Should dry it right up and get rid of the smell.

Employee at Kolorkist Cleaning in San Antonio, Texas offering Carpet Cleaning San Antonio
post #14 of Old 02-08-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangfroid View Post
Hey all,

I bought an office chair from Craigslist and decided to clean it. The cushions are covered in fabric, not leather.

I bought a can of carpet/upholstery cleaner at Walgreens (I know, probably a big mistake), the kind with the brush on top. I rubbed a lot of the shampoo into the cushions, scrubbed it, and then wiped it off with a damp towel.

It cleaned the cushions just fine. The only problem is that now the chair stinks of shampoo. It smells like dog shampoo. Yuck! Even worse, it makes my clothes smell like the shampoo. So sad!

I've tried washing the cushions with club soda. Had limited success with this, but the chair still smells! Is there any way I can get this smell out of the chair? Will it go away on its own? Or is the situation hopeless?

Thanks for your time & help!
Is it just an office chair? You should wait until you have something else that needs to be cleaned and then call any carpet cleaner. hot water extraction will remove the remaining shampoo from the chair no problem and will probably cost you 10 bucks. I would say your only other option would be like some kind of odor absorbing gel. They sell something like that I just can't remember the name of it right at this second. Since it is no doubt en grained down in the fabric I would say get a pro with an upholstery tool to extract it for you. 10 bucks well spent, you will just have to think of something else that needs to be cleaned.
post #15 of Old 08-06-2015, 08:31 AM

Febreeze

I have the same problem. Febreeze! I left the chair outside at the sunlight, covering it at night. I have succeeded in that procedure but the chair still smells. So this way I am partly resolving the problem.
post #16 of Old 08-22-2015, 10:49 PM

I'm having a similar problem
post #17 of Old 08-27-2015, 04:09 AM

Great info

thanks for your feedback!

Tags
cleaning , cushion , shampoo , smell , upholstery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode