How to remove disinfectant odor from a mattress? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

How to remove disinfectant odor from a mattress?

My second-hand mattress has a smelly odour. Me, being naive, I called a guy from Craigslist and he doused the mattress with a strong-smelling disinfectant spray then performed a steam cleaning on it. I learned my lesson, I should've researched what I'm getting into, and should've tried a more DIY approach!

Anyways, it's been a week now & the disinfectant odour won't go away. What should I do now? I tried backing soda alone, but it didn't help. Options I found online: baking soda, vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide, another steam cleaning (e.g. steam mop) without any chemicals.

I take the whole experience positively though. I learned the mistake and I want to develop some DIY knowledge too. Your tips are appreciated.
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-10-2014, 12:33 PM

You'll need to have it properly rinsed and extracted. Obviously the person who performed the work lacked the knowledge and ability to accomplish the task. Be thankful it was only a second hand mattress. There are many people in this industry that don't get the education they need to perform the work correctly. Unfortunately consumers view that a cleaning service as a commodity, its not. Family owned or owner operated services are your best bet. They have a reputation to uphold and it is in their best interest to do the best work possible.

When ever hiring an in-home cleaning service, it pays to do the research before you hire them. Check their reviews online, ask them how long they have been doing it, experience, what type of cleaning agents (toxicity), do they have insurance and any other concerns you may have.
post #3 of Old 10-19-2014, 05:25 PM

You post mentioned using a steam mop for the steam cleaning on the mattress. I'm not sure about that, but I can say that I have gotten large odors out of mattresses with a steam cleaning. I used an upholstery steam cleaner to do it though and put a fan on it. In some cases, children's night-time accidents, I have had to do multiple cleanses. But, it eventually worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-20-2014, 12:17 AM

I use Medicated Powder to absorb the smell, it is helpful to remove unpleasant smell, as well as powder is a safe option. You can also neutralize odors by using Vinegar and baking soda.
post #5 of Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 PM

Vinager will add vinager odor.
post #6 of Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 PM

The baking soda trick always works well. Just get a pack of baking soda and sprinkle a bit on top of the area affected. You can also sprinkle baby powder on that affected area to get a good smell.
post #7 of Old 01-25-2015, 09:08 PM

Have you considered just leaving it outside for the day?
post #8 of Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 AM

when any technical person come in your house or do any work or task in your home. If your genius then after watching of his or her criteria, then you will do task with himself. so your description show your genius because you learn from this task.
post #9 of Old 05-12-2015, 03:40 AM

Yes, if possible leave it in the open air and sun for a day.
End of Tenancy Cleaning Brompton
post #10 of Old 05-15-2015, 03:07 AM

SteamPro provides odor removal services in Long Island, New York. If you want to get rid off pet odors or anything, just call SteamPro experts at 877-85-STEAM or 516-785-7838.
post #11 of Old 06-13-2015, 03:04 AM

The particular baking soda trick always is successful. Just obtain a pack of baking soda and sprinkle a bit over the region affected. You can also sprinkle little one powder in that damaged area to get a good odor.
post #12 of Old 06-20-2015, 05:01 AM

Once odors are absorbed into the mattress they can be difficult to remove, but not impossible. Depending on the odor and how easily you can transport your mattress will depend on what method you use below.

Vinegar and baking soda remove odors by balancing pH levels of the odor-causing material. The more neutral a material is, the more inert it is, which means there is no odor at all. Plain pure water has a pH factor of 7.2 and is completely neutral.

When something rots, spoils or decays it breaks down because of bacteria that goes to work on it. The result of the bacterial action and decay is going to be something acidic or something alkaline. Regardless, it's going to smell one way or another.

Vinegar is an acid that neutralizes alkaline odor problems, and baking soda is an alkaline that neutralizes acidic odor causes. To neutralize an odor means it changes the chemical properties and stops the odor, period. It's not a temporary masking of the problem.

Don't use vinegar and baking soda at the same time together as they will essentially cancel each other out (but it will impressively foam as the 2 chemicals react to each other and start producing oxygen).

I recommend trying the vinegar to start, let it dry completely and if a problem remains use the baking soda to remove any remaining odor problem.

concreting melbourne
post #13 of Old 05-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Ht to all,

There are many people have used carpet in their homes.They have cleaned the carpet by ordinary products like shampoo, detergent etc. As a result, the carpet will no go for longer after few days. Carpetcleaningandwaterdamage is the famous service provider for cleaning the carpet by using the products.It helps to remove the odors, stain and particles from the carpet as soon as possible.Regular cleaning is recommended by almost every carpet manufacturer. Without regular cleaning carpets wear out much faster.Today's carpet contains some amazing stain fighting characteristics including Teflon-based protectors and something called acid dye blockers. While these advances have made carpet stay cleaner, longer, they do wear out over time. Because of this it is beneficial to re-apply carpet protector periodically.

With regards
Saira Miller
post #14 of Old 06-15-2016, 12:30 AM

Just try with a steamer.
post #15 of Old 08-13-2016, 11:26 AM

Hire a reputable cleaning company with good reviews. You can't trust just anyone these days to do a good job, so it's always best to go with a good company that has been in business for awhile.
post #16 of Old 09-29-2016, 06:13 AM

I agree...Just try with a steamer.
post #17 of Old 05-18-2017, 01:30 AM

I also agree. . . .
post #18 of Old 06-30-2017, 01:45 AM

Musty smell can be removed with deep cleaning. Please donít ever try Lysol for heavenís sake.
Goingby the traditional way, dilute white distilled vinegar with water would be helpful. Just sprinkle them.
To restrict off gassing smell, opt for plastic with enough thickness so that they do not penetrate. Plastics are also toxic chemicals. Polyethylene is considered to be the safest for mattress covering since they are made from vegetable-grade plastic. What I hate about plastic is they are noisy and not breathable.
Often people stop with a right mattress. They seldom think about mattress covers. They protect them from dust mites and all sorts of odour. They come with many advantages (http://www.surplusfurniture.com/blog...vs-encasement/).
post #19 of Old 07-04-2017, 03:53 AM

Mattress Odors are offensive, and often difficult to remove, but not impossible. Effective floor cleaning chemical will help to remove Mattress odors. Fresh Carpet Deodorizing Mousse, Carpet Cleaner Defoamer, Carpet and Rug Shampoo etc. make your mattress odor free.

MBA Supply Company
Cleaning Supplies and Equipment Repair Company
post #20 of Old 07-11-2017, 02:40 AM

Many way you can clean your mattress. I would suggest you to use a baking soda and a vacuum cleaner, it can easily effect your mattress and make freshness in just a couple of hours. This process will eliminate moisture, odors, dirt, dust mites and other unwelcome substances without using any harsh chemicals.

Best,
Jose Ramos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode