Portable Extractors - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-22-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Portable Extractors

I am by far no expert but I have been cleaning carpets ocasionaly for our contract customers. 8+ years. I have my IICRC Certification (you have to start someware) and over the years i was led to believe a 1.5" dia hose can pull no more than 200 CFM. (Or at the very least it will have a very difficult time trying) and the max. ft. of hose you can use at 50' to 75'. There are some manufacturers now selling portys with 1.5"dia hose and internal connections stating 300 to 400 CFM. AND YOU CAN RUN 200' FEET OF HOSE TO BOOT! They also don't talk about what the water lift of there machines are. (inches of mercury)
Did I miss somthing ????? Is'nt water lift just as important.
Any one have any thoughts or comments about this.

Joey D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-28-2006, 12:48 PM

Joey,

Electric portables can either be optimised for airflow(AO) or water-lift(VO). For most cleaning applications a skilled operator will get the best results with one that provides the highest airflow. Higher airflows also work better with the longer hose runs.

The amount of air that will pass through a 1.5" hose is dependant on the length of the hose and the machine that powers it, though clearly a 2" hose of the same length will restrict airflow to a lesser degree.

As to how long a hose that can be run from any particular machine; this is a subjective assessment. I know of people who believe that a twin vac portable will function well with 100' of hose, whereas I would consider that configuration not to be up to professional standard.

Cross-American Corp. produce the Recoil 3 that will produce up to 300cfm with its 3 x 3-stage vacs, 400cfm when used with their external booster. It also comes with a 2" hose barb.
post #3 of Old 12-28-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks John for your reply.
I was speaking of Cross American you guessed it. They sell that machine with 1.5" dia hose 150' 400CFM no mention of internal plumbing (as far as i have seen on there web site). Habiteks Pelican machine is a quad vac. with 2" plumbing, 2" hose and a 2" wand. 280 cfm.
Truck Force has 3 vacs. in series claiming 14+ inches of mercury 2" pluming and 2" hose. Powr-flite just came out with the Black Max 2-3 stage in series with 200" of water lift at 101 CFM
There are those who claim water lift is more important and those who claim CFM is more important. It gets very confusing as who to believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-28-2006, 07:30 PM

Joey,

I have to appologise for one inaccuracy in my post - The Recoil 3 has 2 x 3-stage plus 1 x 2-stage vacs, not 3 X 3-stage as I stated.

Though the site does not mention it I am sure that a 2" option is available.
post #5 of Old 12-29-2006, 10:41 AM

Great explainations on this subject by Mr. John Bolton.

Joey D; 2" inlets are standard. I believe it states that fact somewhere in all the writing/description. The RECOIL-3HP comes standard with 1 1/2" hose (as a lead/whip hose); however, the operator can opt for 2" hoses there after.

Good Fortune during this Holiday Season;
Ed Valentine
post #6 of Old 12-29-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Both for that info!
post #7 of Old 12-30-2006, 12:08 PM

Joey;

You are very welcomed sir.

Here is some great advice: Whenever you have a technical question in regards to engineering, I highly suggest that you direct it toward the one and only, Lord John Bolton. Lord Bolton , IMHO, is one of the brightess among any design engineer on this planet, and I am most serious about that. His reputation far exceeds any I have ever seen.

Thanks again and I am glad that your question was anwered.

Good Fortune;
Ed Valentine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode