water marking, a manufature defect or not? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-21-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

water marking, a manufature defect or not?

How many of us ever run into water marking or pooling? Anyone ever find out the real why this happens? I have NOT found a fix, if there is any.
I have been cleaning and repairing carpet for years and have run into water marking and pooling with plush carpeting. I have seen it with fairly new carpet and old carpet alike. The new carpet I tried to get the customer to replace the carpet or get her money back, but the arbitrator told us it was not the manufactures fault. Wow, I was floored, but what could we do?
Tell me about your experience with this "manufacture defect".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 PM

water marking and pooling

Yes, I have run into this situation before. I understand that it really is not a manufacture defect. A mill in New Zealand has come up with a way to combat this. Basically the fibers are rolled or pressed into one direction. When running into this, I notice that the fibers will stand up on one side of the marking and lay down on the other side.

Carpet Cleaning Moraga
Mark White
Moraga CA. 94556
AgentClean Carpet Cleaning
post #3 of Old 10-28-2012, 02:22 PM

I have seen this many times with plush carpets and some wool area rugs. When I first saw this many years ago, I thought I did something wrong with the carpet. Did some checking and found that it is a common problem with carpets and that the manufacture have been tearing their hair out trying to find out why. Still no one seems to really know why.
Good topic and I'm sure some carpet cleaners are not aware of this and should be informed for their peace of mind.

Carpet Cleaning San Ramon
Expert Carpet Cleaning
San Ramon CA. 94582
(925)884-0207
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 AM

Yes I have run into that carpet defect. Long ago I would try to rake it out until I did some research years ago. I am not surprised that watermarking has not been explained as to why it happens. All we can do is explain it to the customer and not get that "I will blame you" look.
Thanks Roger for the input, the more cleaners that know about this the more we can all just relax and flow with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode