Why Steam Cleaning Carpet is Bad - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenneth12

post #1 of Old 10-18-2018, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Red face Why Steam Cleaning Carpet is Bad

A common form of carpet cleaning in Oracle is steam cleaning. Itís something that someone can do on their own at home by renting a steam cleaner or can pay to have professionally done.

The steam cleaning process doesnít actually involve steam but rather an excessive amount of hot water and soap being poured directly into your carpet. The rental machine or professional cleaner sprays hot water and soap and cleaning chemicals onto the carpet while simultaneously vacuuming the water and any dirt that it retrieves from the carpeting.
The process does temporarily clean carpets, however, there are many reasons why you shouldnít have carpet steam cleaned that arenít often advertised:

#1: Steam Cleaning Uses Too Much Water
One potential problem with steam cleaning carpet is that it will leave your carpet wet. Sometimes steam cleaners release more water while cleaning carpet than they are able to vacuum back up. This can result in your carpet being wet for long periods of time, even up to 24 hours or more, which could result in mildew growth or bacteria that could potentially ruin your carpet. Not to mention the inherent health ramifications of mildew and bacteria in your home.

#2: Steam Cleaning Uses Soap
Youíre probably wondering how soap can possibly be a bad thing when it comes to carpet cleaning. But, when you think about it, the main purpose of soap is to act as a magnet to pull dirt and grime to the cleaning surface. Sometimes when a carpet is steam cleaned, similar to the excessive water, not all of the soap is removed in the process which leaves behind a sticky residue. That sticky residue will eventually act as a magnet and pull dirt, grime, and stains to the surface not long after steam cleaning is completed, leaving your carpets looking almost as dirty as before.

#3: Steam Cleaning Uses Chemicals
Often times steam cleaners will require the use of harsh chemicals or detergents that can be toxic if used in excess or improperly. Professionals should be trained in the proper techniques, however, if you are renting a steam cleaning machine it is important to use the proper mixture of detergent to water in order to ensure an effective and safe solution. Detergents and chemicals can be avoided entirely by exploring alternative Oracle carpet cleaning services.
These are just some of the potential concerns related to steam cleaning carpets. If you are looking for the best carpet cleaning Brisbane, you will want to call Oracle carpet cleaning in Brisbane.

Oracle carpet cleaning provides Brisbane, Ipswich, and surrounding with a low-moisture, green-certified alternative to steam cleaning that requires 1/5 the amount of water and no soap or harsh chemicals. The results are drier, cleaner and healthier carpets in your home or business. Guaranteed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-07-2018, 10:53 PM

Hi,
I totally agree with you, steam cleaning is a bad choice for cleaning carpet.
Thanks for sharing the information.
mani likes this.
post #3 of Old 12-13-2018, 07:40 AM

You have an accident on your carpet and want to get it up. I do not recommend using something you buy from the store. These products tend to leave a residue that will attract dirt. Also, if it does not remove the spot, it could actually set the stain so a professional cannot get it out. I recommend using white vinegar and water. Mix around 1/3 white vinegar to 2/3 water in a spritz bottle, then spritz the spot and blot it up with a white rag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 PM

Wow, this is so not true! Where do I start?

#1: Steam Cleaning Uses Too Much Water. Actually, if using a Truck Mounted machine (most cleaners in the industry use this equipment) the amount of water used is adjustable on the machine. Of course a technician CAN use too much water, but it is extremely rare. thats why a potential customer should ask about the technicians experience on the phone prior to making the appointment rather than "how much does it cost". I keep telling people - call 100 different carpet cleaners and you will get 100 different prices and 100 different results. You have to ask the right questions upfront.

#2: Steam Cleaning Uses Soap. the main purpose of soap is to act as a magnet to pull dirt and grime to the cleaning surface. Nope, the purpose of the Soap (I prefer to call it Cleaning Agent) is to remove the soil from the fiber. Just like Tide removes dirt from your clothes.

#3: Steam Cleaning Uses Chemicals Yikes! Who wants Chemicals? Again, kinda a scare tactic. Actually WATER is a Chemical and to tell you the truth is the best cleaning agent out there. I have to ask, What cleaning method DOES NOT use Chemicals?

And the BIGGEST reason to USE Steam Cleaning? (actually the correct term is Hot Water Extraction) EVERY carpet manufacturer SPECIFIES it in their warranties! In other words, get a Warranty Brochure from ANY carpet manufacturer and in it there will be four or five things buyers of new carpet are REQUIRED to do to maintain the warranty. One of those things will be to use Hot Water Extraction as your primary cleaning method.

Now let me ask, if Hot Water Extraction is sooooooooooooooo bad, why do the people that make carpet, require their buyers to use it?

If used correctly, Hot Water Extraction is very similar to washing your clothes. They go through a wash cycle (apply cleaning agent, manually or mechanically agitate it into the carpet to loosen soil) and a rinse cycle (rinse with water or rinsing agent to remove cleaning agent and soil)
post #5 of Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 PM

I'd have to disagree when it comes to carpets. I think steam cleaning is effective for most carpets. But definitely not with rugs. I recently typed up an article on why you should never steam clean your rugs

Last edited by babashrug; 01-15-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #6 of Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 PM

in your initial post
-One potential problem with steam cleaning carpet is that it will leave your carpet wet.- in fact the entire article you mention CARPET, not RUGS. Its two completely different worlds.

carpets. Thats what we are talking about.

Im glad that you now state " I think steam cleaning is effective for most carpets." because thats what the Carpet Manufacturers REQUIRE. Good to know we are all in agreement.
post #7 of Old 01-18-2019, 08:44 AM

I have a better idea. Get RID of all wall to wall carpet .Over time, even professionally cleaned carpets will start to look grubby, and if you look down where the carpet meets a wall, you will see a thin grayish line, which is DUST that no vacuum cleaner can get. Yuck.
post #8 of Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 PM

get rid of carpet? great idea if you live where its warm but in Wisconsin when its 15 degrees outside, its nice to have something soft under your feet.

Theres tons of reasons to keep carpet and lots of reasons to get rid of carpet. Truth be told, its a personal preference.

And over time, any flooring will start to look grubby.
post #9 of Old 03-08-2019, 02:13 AM

Carpet only looks good when they are on floor. I personally try to avoid any carpet furniture. Btw using steam is only going to reduce the material life time.
post #10 of Old 06-10-2019, 09:27 AM

yes Carpet only looks good when they are on floor
post #11 of Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 PM

using steam is only going to reduce the material life time.

Really? The people that MAKE the carpet SPECIFY steam cleaning (otherwise known as Hot Water Extraction) is REQUIRED to maintain the carpet to keep the WARRANTEE valid.

Just look at ANY carpet manufacturers Warrantee brochure.

Tags
carpet cleaning , carpet cleaning brisbane , carpet cleaning nundah , carpet cleaning service , upholstery cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode