Wool carpet - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-22-2007, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Wool carpet

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and have done some reading on most topics. I like the way people speak their opinions and was looking to see if I could get one from all of you. I am about to do a wool carpet job and was wondering if there are any pre-cautions I should look out for? If I could get any imput on this, it would be great. Im glad to be apart of the forum and hope we call all help one another figure out these basic jobs.

Thanks much!

Rhett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I know that you are not supposed to go over 165 degrees and are not supposed to go above 8 on the ph for prespray. If there is anything else I need to be aware of let me know.
post #3 of Old 10-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Rhett,

Alkalinity is more important than pH - but that would require an explanation far more detailed than can be dealt with here. A WoolsafeŽ logo on a product is your best assurance that it is suitable for use on wool.

Wool can hold more dry soil than syntetic fibres so pay attention to you pre-vacuum.

Keep your temperature below 65°C (149°F) to be safe and make your customer aware in advance that damp wool has a characteristic 'wet dog' odour. This is an indication of the quality of the carpet, not a failure on your behalf but good ventilation and the use of air movers will do much to mitigate this and also bestow a better hand to the pile.

The use of an acidic rinse agent can often stabilise loose dyes.

Always groom the pile as tool marks that are allowed to dry in can be difficult to later remove.

That should get you started

Last edited by John Bolton; 07-12-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 PM

I know that there are classes that teach that kind of lesson.. It is better that you are educated in this kind of field before getting to this business..
post #5 of Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 AM

For keeping good wool carpet I can suggest different methods for maintained it. Dry foam and absorbent pad, steam cleaning, Oxy cleaners and area rug stain removal all methods are very much essential for maintain the wool carpet.
post #6 of Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 PM

Care should be taken when using "oxy cleaners" as these can result in colour loss and yellowing of wool fibres. Like most professional carpet cleaners I have seen many cases of irreparable damage caused by 'supermarket shelf remedies'.
post #7 of Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolton View Post
Care should be taken when using "oxy cleaners" as these can result in colour loss and yellowing of wool fibres. Like most professional carpet cleaners I have seen many cases of irreparable damage caused by 'supermarket shelf remedies'.
Is it Oxy cleaners worth to use it? I heard a lot about it. But, I have not been try it before.
post #8 of Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM

You better use cold water on wool with a low ph cleaner or you could be owning the rug.

http://www.carpetcleaningsandimas.com
post #9 of Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
You better use cold water on wool with a low ph cleaner or you could be owning the rug.

http://www.carpetcleaningsandimas.com
Low ph cleaner??? Will you please describe briefly what kind of product you suggest for law ph cleaner?
post #10 of Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 AM

Such carpets are not only the most costly kind of carpet you could buy, but as with everything, you also get what you pay for. They have an excellent natural ability to resist wear and tear, and the ability to resist most stains far enhanced than any synthetic fabric.

chicago damage restoration
post #11 of Old 06-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Max,

Whilst I agree with much of your comment, I cannot agree on the matter of stain resistance. Due to the high absorbency of wool, staining matter penetrates far deeper and is therefore more difficult to remove.

An additional benefit of wool lies in its inherent fire retardant properties.

Ruby,

As a professional cleaner, surly you are acquainted with pH; in simple terms the measure of acidity / alkalinity. Oxidisers are a very useful tool but can be dangerous in the hands of the uneducated and inexperienced user.
post #12 of Old 06-30-2012, 07:45 AM
JMI

There is so many different ways to handle wool rugs, at least if you do any research on the topic. A company like Woolite does not recommend using a lot of moisture during the cleaning process. Another article I read talked about flooding an area rug with cool water from a garden hose. Its confusing trying to figure out fact from fiction.

Assuming you are using proper ventilation to aid in the drying process. Is it OK to flood an area rug with cold water then use an extractor to get out as much water as possible? From what I've gathered improper chemical selection and the use of excessive heat are the real issues. I figure moisture won't cause the rug to fail/shrink. After all wool grows on sheep and they live outside and get rained on all the time.
post #13 of Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 PM

You are correct and basically wool is very durable. A lower heat and a wool safe cleaning pretreat and they clean up real well for us here at Tampa carpet cleaning

Family Time Cleaning
8723 huntfield st
Tampa FL 33635
(727)742-5677
http://familytimecleaning.com/
post #14 of Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 AM

We should use some special products that we have use for wool. Sometimes lower temperature, lower pressure and special drying precaution should be use for cleaning wool
post #15 of Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Vacuum your wool rug carefully two or three times a week to remove any loose surface, fuzz dust and dirt.

long island carpet cleaning
post #16 of Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM
JMI

Here is a before and after shot.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

The pictures don't' really do justice to how good this rug came out. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

The real surprise with the dry time for this wool carpet. Wool sure holds more water than synthetic fibers.
post #17 of Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 AM

That's a great before and after. wool really isn't that difficult for the most part and with proper solution and dry procedures we have wonderful outcome here at carpet cleaning Tampa.

Family Time Cleaning
8723 huntfield st
Tampa FL 33635
(727)742-5677
http://familytimecleaning.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode