Ceramic floor tile, white grout - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-21-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Ceramic floor tile, white grout

Hi All!
I will be cleaning a house at the end of the week with a large area (entry way, dining, kitchen, and 2 bathrooms) of dirty white ceramic tile, with dirty white grout (one foot square, tile size). I do not have a commercial cleaner (machine), but I do have a wet vac. My questions are, how do I clean this floor the most effectively with the tools I have available to me? I can purchase tile and grout cleaner also, I just need to know what type has worked well for someone else in the past. Do I need to get any special brushes? I really don't want anyone to tell me I need to do this with a toothbrush!!I have been reading the other posts, but I just want clarification to this specific floor. Thank you all in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Pump sprayer will help to apply to grout and the pressure will help loosen soils. Stiff brush, thin bristles will be enough to knock the dirt off. Hand held grout brush can make the darker spots come a cleaner.

Best tip is keep it plenty wet as you clean and rinse several time after using wet vac.

Did a floor just as you described today. It turned out great but of course I was used my high pressure machine and squeegee wand for speed. One of those, if I hadn't forgot my camera deals.

Cleaning Superman
Alter ego: George Barnett, Owner: G & G Services
http://www.CleaningSuperhero.com
Stone Care Central Regional Director, SouthEastern United States
http://www.bnitrussville.com
post #3 of Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Superman! I just went to Home Depot and bought some alkaline grout cleaner, is this the correct stuff? I thought I read it on another thread.....they (Home Depot employees) were telling me to buy stuff with sealer in it.
This is my first tile/grout experience, so that is why this forum is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

I just read the cleaner, it's not alkaline, its Acidic Cleaner...sorry.
post #5 of Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Using an acid requires neutralizing or heavy rinsing. I usually use it as a last step for removing stubborn stains.

Light dilutions of floor stripper allowed to dwell does really well. Have used Simple Green with good results. Stripper and Simple Green produces foam in great amounts. I use MB-2 Heavy Duty Stone, Tile, and Grout cleaner mainly because it works well at light dilutions and produces less foam. MB-2 Heavy Duty Stone, Tile, And Grout Cleaner

Sealing should be done seperately after cleaning. Penetrating sealer should only be applied 24 hours after cleaning for complete drying. Water based can usually be applied an hour or so after surface is dry.

Cleaning Superman
Alter ego: George Barnett, Owner: G & G Services
http://www.CleaningSuperhero.com
Stone Care Central Regional Director, SouthEastern United States
http://www.bnitrussville.com
post #6 of Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, I am feeling a little more confident going into this job on Friday. I appreciate your link to the Stone care website, I think I will go into town tomorrow and see our Stone/Tile dealer to get the proper stuff to use, and take back the stuff I got from Home Depot!
post #7 of Old 09-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

Hello and I had to tackle such problem years ago when I used to work with my father - who is a home contractor...

I used the Shaklee Basic H and it worked so well that the home owner wanted to know where he could get some for himself...

Just have a look at my business site below for more info...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode