Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Cleaning Stained Ceramic Floor Tile

25K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Medssel42 
#1 · (Edited)
:cry: I recently installed black ceramic floor tile in my bath. It’s made to look like slate. I bought it instead of slate because it’s supposed to be lower maintenance.
After the installation it looks like the contractor spilt some different things on it. In many places there are lighter gray spots. I’m not sure if these places are where gray color was added or black color was removed.
Any suggestions for cleaning products to try before I replace the tiles?
I ‘ve already tried bleach, white vinegar, Acetone and Lacquer Thinner.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey there & welcome,

My 2 cents would be to not use anything else on the floor until you get some expert advice on here. That's some pretty caustic stuff that has been put on the tiles that very well has caused further damage.

Have you contacted the contractor to come look at it? Any more info on the tiles' composition?

Good luck and sorry for the problem.

#8 ·
The best tile cleaner I've ever used...!

Hey man,

For many years now, the best product I've ever used to clean tiles is the Shaklee Basic H...

Learn more about it on my business site below...!

#10 ·
Shakleee is just another MLM scam in my opinion. Takes hopeless saps with no business aptitude and promises them wealth via multi level marketing and pyramid schemes. In fact, if you do your research they actually promote to their newbies to do exactly what this guy is doing.

#11 ·
One way to distract people from the plain white is to take out tiles in a pattern and replace them with some colorful tiles that will draw people's attention from the main color. You can take out those tiles by using a hand grout saw to take off the grout surrounding the tiles you want to remove. Then smash those tiles in the center with a pointed centerpunch and a small hammer. Work your way out toward the edges of the smashed tile until you have cleared their entire square. That is where you are going to cement-in and grout the new colorful ones. It is time consuming but it will upgrade the floor and make people forget the basic off-white.

Scottsdale Carpet Cleaning

#14 ·
Clean your ceramic surface with a soft cloth or mop using pH neutral cleaning solution. Always wipe off any spills immediately as they happen. Never, ever clean this floor with vinegar, as you will destroy the finish. ceramic specific cleaning products are available for removing. I recommend you Lustro Italiano Cleaner and Polish which is specifically designed and PH balanced for Marble, Granite, and Dimensional Stone Surfaces. Compared to other polishes and cleaners, it creates a deeper longer lasting shine

#16 · (Edited)
Again, have never had to use bleach or peroxide (oxygen bleach) to clean tiles, and do not recommend it. I have been cleaning tile and stone, restoring Saltillo and stone for ten years. If it is oil based, a degreaser will cut it. If it is calcium/lime buildbup, acid will do it because it will not damage porcelain in 95% of the cases. I'm guessing it is grout haze based on the fact that it is reletively new. A good grout haze remover will take care of this problem, coupled with a bit of elbow grease and an alkaline cleaner to neutralize the acid, followed by a good rinse and seal. Bleach will do NOTHING in either case, oil or calcium. It will only create more problems with fading of pigment in the grout and furthering problems with haze, whether it be oxidation or a reaction causing efflourescence. If it is epoxy grout, you may need methylene chloride (paint stripper) to get it off. Very nasty stuff, but will work. Wear gloves, goggles, etc.

I realize this problem has probably been taken care of by now, but this is good info for all to read.

az

#17 ·
The proper care of your tile floor will prevent damage, keep it looking beautiful and extend its life. Dirt and grime is your floors enemy #1. Invert in good floor mats and always remove your shoes. This will go very far at keeping out dirt, dust, sand and debris.
Your should always vacuum, sweep and dust mop your tile floors prior to mopping, otherwise the dirt will mix with the water and end up in the cracks and crevasses.
Cleaning Marble Floors

You should generally only use warm water on your marble floors. Never, ever use vinegar on marble. The acid in vinegar damages, actually etches and removes the surface of the marble. After mopping, dry the floor with a cotton towel or use a sh-mop to remove the moisture and prevent water spots. Always dry your marble floors, they spot very easily.

#18 ·
For Cleaning of your Ceramic Tiles u can use any soap, but if u want more powerful then I urge you to use a scrub brush to aggressively clean the tile. The best cleaner that I have ever used is Oxygen Bleach(mix with water). You apply solution and let it soak . Millions of oxygen bubbles attack the dirt. After a 10-minute wait, scrub the tile with excess oxygen-bleach solution and the tile looks like new. If you plan to also paint the grout, you must let the grout dry for at least 48 hours.:thumbup:

#19 ·
Contact the contractor and apprise them of the situation. And ask for a solution to rectify the problem.

Do not ever try anything new on your own on the floor. As I can see that you've already some products but in vain, you should resort to a professional home cleaner for the right advise and solution.

#22 ·
clean tile floors and slate tile floors with warm water only. Cleanliness and keeping the dirt off them is essential with these types of floor surfaces as they become scratched and dull easily. You should also apply a liquid sealant found in hardware stores to slate and ceramic tile floors and also to the grout. Clean up spills promptly to avoid staining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.