Floor Maintenance Business - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-07-2006, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Floor Maintenance Business

I am currently in the floor selling and installation business.

I have been doing research on floor maintenance and was hoping you guys would share your experience. I am considering carpet cleaning, tile and grout cleaning, and hardwood re-screening.I was hoping to get some advice. Such as the best value equipment for these jobs on the market and the possible profit potential on residential jobs.

I generally sell carpet, hardwood, laminate, tile..I figure it would be a nice service to offer the clients who purchase their flooring from me and the costumer base because of my fairly established business is already there.

Still I do not know much about this business..the main upside I see here is more steady work. Any Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-10-2006, 01:55 PM

Just Do it ALL!!

I believe in expanding your business whenever possible. If you decide to go into carpet cleaning, you will be able to do tile and grout cleaning along with carpet cleaning with your truckmount(uses the same main equipment just different tools) As far as the hardwood flooring goes, alot of my customers are turning toward it, some do it now. Profit margin: Getting into the Carpet Cleaning business will be your largest investment. If you need a van, i recommend a nice used one. Carpet cleaning machine to go in van along with your accessories: I would say you could get out the door and on your way to your first job with $16,000 all Brand New. Thats chemicals, truckmount, shelving, hose and hose reels etc. I could sit here and type alot more but if you want to talk business let me know.

Dennis
www.gofscs.com
post #3 of Old 10-22-2006, 08:42 AM

I have plenty of success with my portables and hard surface cleaning tools. Use them for both carpet and stone, tile, and grout.

The first thing you need to do is start a database of all the customers where you have installations. Begin learning the best methods of maintenance of all floor types and introduce the customers to the best products to make their cleaning easier.

You will want to get hands on experience (no instruction manual will get you there) to learn the best cleaning methods and also get hands on demonstrations of the equipment you may be considering. Instructional classes are helpful.

It may take up to 2 years before paying the bills from cleaning income will be possible.

Cleaning Superman
Alter ego: George Barnett, Owner: G & G Services
http://www.CleaningSuperhero.com
Stone Care Central Regional Director, SouthEastern United States
http://www.bnitrussville.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-26-2008, 04:28 PM

PF Hardwood Floor Cleaner and Polish are the best on the market when it comes to cleaning your floors to make them look just like they did the day they were installed!

www.palmettofloorcare.com
post #5 of Old 12-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Making more money by expanding...

Just wanted to add my two cents worth. I have been in the cleaning and restoration business for a lot of years and one of the biggest mistakes I see is people wanting to expand. Expanding is not always bad, but you really need to be clear why you are expanding. taking on a whole new business is a lot of work and requires a large investment and its usually not always in money but TIME.

I would start off by teaming up with a reputable company and sell their service for a percentage first. If you see there is a large demand then take it to the next level of starting your own.

Hope this helps
Eric
post #6 of Old 05-10-2009, 05:43 AM

It a good idea to consult other people but rather than that..
You should consult experts regarding your business.
post #7 of Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 PM

I have to agree with Eric. Staying with what you know and expanding your existing business is generally better than expanding into other areas.

I specialize in vct stripping & waxing, ceramic tile, and floor maintenance. While I am working on adding services such as stone floor care, I wouldn't think of going into sales and installation. It would be just a completely different area.
post #8 of Old 06-29-2012, 12:19 AM

Thats chemicals, truckmount, shelving, hose and hose reels etc. I could sit here and type alot more but if you want to talk business let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode