Is this Grout or Dirt? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-30-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Question Is this Grout or Dirt?

So I'm trying to understand the concept of grout cleaning. I seen those white fill-in-the-lines grout filler products which look like they just paint on top of the grout lines. In this case if dirt is in the grout, it just gets painted over which is disgusting. We cleaned a restaurant floor last night with degreaser, a stripper and grout brush on rotary buffer machine. I cannot distinguish what worked better. Does anyone know if degreaser or stripper works best for tile and grout like this? My partner and I hand scraped every inch of this 2000 sq ft floor. It was so bad it seemed the grout needed to be scraped first and the floor cleaned afterwards. I almost wanted to charge an extra $200 on top of quote to scrape out the grout. The scrape work was very intensive. Now can anyone tell me if we are cleaning this right? Is this dirt we are scraping out of the grout or are we damaging the grout? Is this black grout or is this just dirt buildup in the grout? I have no idea but this process took a long time and will need a new technique or brush to get this up. The black stuff was so hard to scrape out in some areas it made me think I was damaging it. Now the last picture in the post is the final product. So can someone tell me if we damaged and pull up all their grout filling or was it years of caked up dirt and grime? If so how we clean this better instead of hand scraping? I was thinking of a harder roatary brush such the MAL GRIT Black Bristle Brush. I want the hardest bristles because that grout or dirt was hard to pull up. Only came out with metal scrapers and dulled the hell out of them too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1260.jpg (266.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1261.jpg (216.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1262.jpg (294.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1263.jpg (284.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1268.jpg (258.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-01-2019, 07:26 PM

An auto scrubber with a brush would have been the way to go.
If you were using a really hard scraper then you may very well have gotten into the grout.

Since it was as dirty as it was I would have used a light acid solution.By acid I am not talking about muratic acid!No way.

I'm talking about a brick and tile cleaner that you can purchase at tile stores.Typically a brick and tile cleaner is used for new construction as it

removes light grout and grout residue from the face of newly installed ceramic or porcelain tile,but I discovered that it also is great for just

cleaning up grime on the same types of surfaces.

I am certain that you will get people saying to use a degreaser which will also be beneficial.Experience is what makes us differ in our

methods.At times there is more than one right answer, it just depends on what you become familiar with using.

Doing it by hand istorture.An auto scrubber with a brush assembly.You may be able to rent one from someone.
post #3 of Old 08-09-2019, 10:04 AM

Looks like dirt to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-20-2019, 06:48 AM

Agree with Paul, dirt.

Tags
cleaning , grout , restaurant , tile and grout cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode