Help! Marble looking bad after using baking soda! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ginasmithsmith

post #1 of Old 08-11-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Help! Marble looking bad after using baking soda!

I had some lemon stains on my marble, a friend scrubbed it with one of those metal scrubbing sponges, it didn't go away. I googled and found online you can do a poultice with baking soda, I left it on 24 hours. Lemon stains were gone BUT lots of little scratches were everywhere and nicks and all those were bright white like the baking soda. I regret using the baking soda now!!

What can I do now to repair the marble??? I don't want to make it worse!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6082.jpg (123.1 KB, 3 views)
momentum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 PM

Hello,
Marble is a popular choice for countertops, table tops, flooring, and fireplace layers. Its classic look will add value to any type of room whether is a bathroom or entrance. It needs special care to prevent damage and stains, which occur easily due to marbleís porous surface. Using baking soda for marble cleaning rarely rather than every day, because it frequently may dull your marble. Never leave baking soda or a baking soda solution in contact with your marble for more than a few seconds. Be sure to wipe away all traces of baking soda so it isn't left in long contact with your marble surfaces. Along with the regular mopping and sweeping, one also undertakes additional functions to ensure best cleaning. This includes waxing and sealing, honing and grinding that can bring back the shine, and you can remove tough stains with a dressing. By doing this you will prevent annoying problems like soap scum build up, wine stains, or marble etching. If stain is still visible, professional cleaners is highly recommended. Keep sharing.

Momentum Janitorial Inc.
Premium provider of commercial janitorial services
Southern California
post #3 of Old 10-17-2017, 05:23 AM

Hi,

It is not recommended to treat marble surface with baking soda. Now you will have to till them with filler that hides minor imperfection in stones and then you need to polish and afterwards you need to apply sealer!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-17-2017, 08:03 AM

I am so sorry this happened to you! Sometimes, we do learn the hard way. Marble is not a very tough stone, and anything abrasive probably will scratch it. A lot of people on this site seem to think baking soda is God's Gift for Cleaning. I dont. I think it is too harsh for many surfaces, plus frankly, it isnt all that cheap. A while back, I picked up a new customer (for house cleaning)./ She had hardwood floors, very beautiful floors. Her kids had spilled something sticky on her floor, and she used baking soda to clean it up. Well, it worked but it left serious scratches all over the floor. She had to replace those hardwood planks....not inexpensive!

Good luck with your marble, and let us know how you make out.
post #5 of Old 11-29-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentum View Post
Hello,
Marble is a popular choice for countertops, table tops, flooring, and fireplace layers. Its classic look will add value to any type of room whether is a bathroom or entrance. It needs special care to prevent damage and stains, which occur easily due to marbleís porous surface. Using baking soda for marble cleaning rarely rather than every day, because it frequently may dull your marble. Never leave baking soda or a baking soda solution in contact with your marble for more than a few seconds. Be sure to wipe away all traces of baking soda so it isn't left in long contact with your marble surfaces. Along with the regular mopping and sweeping, one also undertakes additional functions to ensure best cleaning. This includes waxing and sealing, honing and grinding that can bring back the shine, and you can remove tough stains with a dressing. By doing this you will prevent annoying problems like soap scum build up, wine stains, or marble etching. If stain is still visible, professional cleaners is highly recommended. Keep sharing.
I too have experienced the same...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode