How to start a gout cleaning business? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-20-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

How to start a gout cleaning business?

Hi there,

I currently do residential cleaning and have been thinking of ways to possibly expand. I already own a commercial steam vapor machine that I'e used to clean the grout in my home and my parents home with great success. I've not yet learned to do the sealing, but I'm intelligent and hardworking, so I'm pretty sure I could learn if I had access to the proper resources.

Can anyone share some advice on what I would need to learn and how I would go about pricing? Also, what do you feel is the best way to advertise this type of service.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Valley Cleaning View Post
, but I'm intelligent
you spelled grout as "gout" in your title, probably not what you want to be working on

as for stone work here's a quick run down. if you have at least a portable that can create 800-1000psi you can run a spinner. if you don't tile and grout can be hand cleaned with great results provided you understand the chemistry and get use to quality products. all of my tile crap has came from either jon-don or lowes. lowes sells dupont and at a good price. you'll find two main styles of grout, actually 3 but 2 are similar, anyway they are

1. sanded
2. unsanded
3. epoxy

sanded and unsanded should be resealed after cleaning. actually it's not a bad idea to do all 3 but it's mandatory with the first two since you actually remove a small amount of material when you clean them

for tile cleaning you'll use different chemicals and different tiles and different levels of grime. acid for example works like a charm to remove hazey sealer from slate and get the white clouds out of the stone. if you spend some time on google, youtube and asking around or taking a cert class you'll learn quite a bit

a good cheap sealer for sanded and unsanded is 511 from the home depot, it's solvent based, not water and a good product that's easy to apply.

mentioning of sealers there are some granites you just can not seal. absolute black is one that comes to mind. it's just too dense and the sealer will streak on top.

i could keep rambling but there's a start for you

also, google bud cline

that guy is like the tile god and reading the posts all over the various forums he's made will teach you a lot

carpet cleaning hillsboro oregon and the surrounding portland metro area

Last edited by Racebum; 04-13-2011 at 05:56 PM.
post #3 of Old 04-27-2011, 12:35 AM

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebum View Post
you spelled grout as "gout" in your title, probably not what you want to be working on

as for stone work here's a quick run down. if you have at least a portable that can create 800-1000psi you can run a spinner. if you don't tile and grout can be hand cleaned with great results provided you understand the chemistry and get use to quality products. all of my tile crap has came from either jon-don or lowes. lowes sells dupont and at a good price. you'll find two main styles of grout, actually 3 but 2 are similar, anyway they are

1. sanded
2. unsanded
3. epoxy

sanded and unsanded should be resealed after cleaning. actually it's not a bad idea to do all 3 but it's mandatory with the first two since you actually remove a small amount of material when you clean them

for tile cleaning you'll use different chemicals and different tiles and different levels of grime. acid for example works like a charm to remove hazey sealer from slate and get the white clouds out of the stone. if you spend some time on google, youtube and asking around or taking a cert class you'll learn quite a bit

a good cheap sealer for sanded and unsanded is 511 from the home depot, it's solvent based, not water and a good product that's easy to apply.

mentioning of sealers there are some granites you just can not seal. absolute black is one that comes to mind. it's just too dense and the sealer will streak on top.

i could keep rambling but there's a start for you

also, google bud cline

that guy is like the tile god and reading the posts all over the various forums he's made will teach you a lot
Great information was also want to share the same already shared , anyway great information .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 PM

Well, cleaning tile and grout is easy and fast with the right tools, now if all you have is the basic hand tools then you would need to contact me though my site so that my receptionist could give my cell number so I could give you much better advice that way. As far as advertising goes, google seo takes a while but costs nothing if done yourself. Google Adwords costs alot but gets you customers if you website is good at converting those clicks into phone calls. Or you can try www.localcleaningdeals.com it is a site that gets you guaranteed paying customers upfront, then they send you a check.
post #5 of Old 10-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Optimizing your business is harder than starting up a business.
post #6 of Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 AM

A friend and I cleaned apartments Including cleaning the toilets, shower, floors, kitchen counters, vacuuming, washing windowson one summer. We each made 10$ per hour.
post #7 of Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 PM

RaceBum gave you some good advice here. This should be enough to get you going.
post #8 of Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Spinner - Check

Decent solution - Check

Website - Check

Decent SEO - Check

Vehicle - Check

Signwriting - Check

Gold Coast Tile Cleaning
post #9 of Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 AM

Its great that your are stepping in to the field of cleaning business. I must tell you that its one of the biggest commercial business with immense opportunity of growth. Starting a business requires so many things. Entrepreneurship, Why businesses fail, Naming your business, Choosing your legal entity, Registering your business, Paying estimated taxes, Hiring employees, Other employment requirements.

nyc smoke damage cleanup
post #10 of Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 AM

Re:

[B]If you want to start a cleaning business.You must have a vast marketing experience that how to find clients what they want and all about the pricing.Than you can start a business otherwise you got a loss at end.

Last edited by Morkel; 11-25-2013 at 06:28 AM.
post #11 of Old 02-05-2015, 09:05 AM

Do some research

Proper chemicals and the right equipment, and a bit of education is all you need from a very basic aspect. You will learn things as you go. Just be careful and conscientious and you will be ok. A hand held steamer is NOT the way to go, you need professional equipment to succeed in the tile and grout business. You must also have at least a basic understanding of marketing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode