Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

Removing lime/calcium from granite countertop?

59K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  StonePro Rob 
#1 ·
Hi,

Can you recommend a good product to remove mineral deposits from our granite countertop?

Is it safe to use CLR or Lime-Away? It's not immediately clear from the information on the bottle whether this would damage the stone.

I'm hoping someone has some ideas this time...

Thanks,
Dave

#2 ·
CLR not recommended for granite

I just received a call from a frantic house cleaner who used CLR on "granite" to remove hard water deposits, only to find out that it was a marble and she had etched the stone.
I suggest HMK R55 Intensive Cleaner to remove calcium and other mineral build up.

#4 ·
Thanks, I've tried that. I've even let it sit for a long while, then wiped it off. It helps, but there is still a rough feel, like there is still some type of sediment on top. I think even pure vinegar soaking in a towel on the countertop would evaporate before it dissolved all the mineral deposits.

I've also since tried the spray stuff that's purchased in the store, and it's not worth the money. It also doesn't appear to remove the build-up. I know it's soap scum and mineral deposits because it's only the area directly behind and around the sink, where the most water remains.

I also know we apparently have very hard water here, but not so bad that a water softener system would be necessary. We just occasionally put a cup of vinegar in with the dishwasher to dissolve any calcium build-up.

It's more difficult and concentrated on the granite countertop, though.

Thanks,
Dave

#5 ·
This product works great and won't scratch the surface. Contact if you need more info.

Cantol's That Green Stuff is an efficient, easy to use, nonacid cream cleanser and polish containing “Jewellers Rouge”that will not scratch, scour or pit surfaces. That Green Stuff is a ready-to-use formula to clean, polish, brighten
and deodorize a wide variety of hard surfaces in one easy operation. That Green Stuff is thick so that it clingsto surfaces until wiped. It cuts through soil with super speed without the need for hard rubbing. That Green Stuff contains no harsh abrasives and leaves no chalky or gritty residue. The pleasant fragrance of That Green Stuff deodorizes as it cleans.

APPLICATIONS
Stainless Steel, Brass, Chrome, Copper, Porcelain, Formica, Ceramic Tile, Marble, Enamel, Plastic, White Wall Tires, Glass, Bath Tubs, Shower Stalls, Toilet Bowls, Urinals, Exhaust Fans, Swimming Pools, Machinery,Outdoor Furniture, Grills, Appliances, Elevator Doors, Boats, Golf Clubs, Counter Tops, Tools, Sinks

Thanks,
Shawn
sdunn7503 at gmail dot com

www dot cantol dot com

#9 ·
All that is needed is paper towel soaked in vinegar to be left on the lime deposits and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.This will soften the deposits and then just scraping with the help of single bladed razor will remove the lime without damaging the granite and leaving it clean and new.
This actually works very well. I created a solution of vinegar and water, sprayed it on the granite, then sprinkled on some baking soda. I then scrubbed it with a sponge and covered it with a wet paper towel.

Within a few minutes, it really did the trick! I was so happy.

Thanks!
Dave

#13 ·
Mineral deposit on granite is a result of hard water. If your granite countertop is maintained and resealed on schedule (typically every 6-12 months), then the stains are easy to remove. But if they are tough to remove then you have to call the professionals. Soap Scum / Hard Water Remover is best for removing mineral stains from granite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.