Sealing Grout - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-26-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Sealing Grout

What are your thoughts on sealing grout? I've heard arguments on both sides for this and would be interested to hear your view.

Thank.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-27-2006, 05:35 PM

If they want to pay to have it sealed, then seal it. I have never seen any ill effects from being sealed. Never seen any from not being sealed. I have seen poor installation confused for damage due to not sealing.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #3 of Old 06-27-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I've heard some people say that it can be harder to get stains out if the grout is sealed. not sure if there is truth to that or not?

Nathan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-28-2006, 05:04 PM

Nathan, I will try not to be to wordy here but here is a snap-shot on sealers.
There are three basic types of sealers for stone and grout.
1, Penetrating sealers, generaly sylicon either water or solvent based. These sealers penetrate the stone or grout and become part of the product. You cannot see them on the surface and they help prevent staining. Used on all types of stone, Marble, Slate, Sandstone, Granite and the grout for all. They are desireable if you do not want to change the appearance of the surface and should be applied every 1 to 2 yrs as a rule.
2, Topical sealers, generaly acrylic or polymer and water based. They act much as floor finish would and enhance the gloss of the surface while preventing most staining. They are generaly affected by urine, amonia, alchol, ect. The downside to these is they will have to be reapplied and/or stripped and reapplied on a regular basis.
3, Permanent type sealers, These are generaly solvent based urathane type products. Althoughly rarely seen, Run don't walk away. Very difficult to remove if peeling or damaged and rusult in Hazard waste disposal amoung other problems.
If you would like any more info, contact me.
Randy
post #5 of Old 06-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Nathan,
I forgot to answer you original question. Stains are only more difficult to remove if someone has sealed over the stain. Sealers are designed to prevent stains from penatrating the surface making them easier to remove.
post #6 of Old 06-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Randy, great info!!!

Glad to have you on the forum!
post #7 of Old 06-28-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot... that helps a ton!

Nathan

post #8 of Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 PM

sealers

I do tile and grout cleaning. That's all we do and I hear some interesting stuff regardig seaing.

I think there is certainly some misconceptions on what sealers do and do not do.

I have heard many tile installers say that sealing doesn't make a difference or it is a waste.

But the question is: How many floors does a tile installer have to CLEAN per week?

Not too many.

I think some people think that a sealer will keep the floor from getting dirty - which is false. The main benefit for a sealer is the repellency of water and oils. That's pretty much all they do, is prevent a liquid from penetrating the grout joint.

This prevents staining. Staining occurs when a liquid carriers a particle or substance into the depths of the grout line where it cannot be easily removed. If your grout is sealed the particle will stay on the top of the grout or near the top.

Case in point: I cleaned two houses the same week that were next door neigbors to one another. One house had sealed the tile the other house didn't. They were in a big subdivistion and built within a month of each other.

The first house which was sealed came out WHITE and nice - actually there are some pictures I took...

let me see if I can find -'em

here ya go:

The house next door which wasn't sealed had significantly more staining. The grout was much harder to restore and soil removal was tougher.
post #9 of Old 06-28-2006, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Great to have you on the site diego and thanks for the examples. Great stuff!

Nathan

post #10 of Old 06-28-2006, 11:39 PM

Diego, My guess is that is a ceramic or porcelin tile and the grout was sealed with a penatrating silicon sealer. That was just my point earlier. Does not stop them from getting dirty, but prevents penetration so they can be cleaned. Nice work/
Randy
post #11 of Old 10-22-2006, 09:47 AM

Sealing gives positive results when cleaning.

I make sure (basicly insist) the customers have the proper cleaning tools, methods, and cleaning solutions to maintain the surfaces.
post #12 of Old 02-07-2015, 02:31 PM

Cementitious grouts are porous and should be sealed to offer some form of protection from staining. There are no adverse side effects of sealing grout with a clear sealer. Following any deep cleaning of your tile and grout, a clear sealer should be applied to help protect your grout surface from staining. A deep cleaning will increase the porousity of your grout and it should be protected with a clear sealer to add some stain protection and make subsequent cleanings more productive.
post #13 of Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 AM

Make sure grout lines aren't cracked, chipped, or otherwise compromised before treating with a sealant. If they are, touch up grout and wait the requisite 48 to 72 hours before sealing.
Some sealers need more time between sealer coats. For these sealers, wait 5 minutes and then wipe off the tiles to remove grout sealant that got on them.
post #14 of Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsfortlauderdale View Post
Make sure grout lines aren't cracked, chipped, or otherwise compromised before treating with a sealant. If they are, touch up grout and wait the requisite 48 to 72 hours before sealing.
Some sealers need more time between sealer coats. For these sealers, wait 5 minutes and then wipe off the tiles to remove grout sealant that got on them.
You can't simply "touch up" compromised grout. You need to remove the bad grout to a suitable depth and regrout to complete a proper repair. I fix so many so called grout repairs where a company or a homeowner tries to do an "overlay" of grout on the affected area without the proper prep work. "overlaying" is the hack way to do grout repairs and should be avoided.
post #15 of Old 04-17-2017, 04:47 AM

Grout is a cement based material, which is very porous. If it is only cleaned, it will stain again as it absorbs moisture, causing stains and mold. Grout should always be sealed with a quality sealer, preventing the passage of moisture. DíSapone uses a pigmented titanium sealer, making grout waterproof with a 5 year labor warranty.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode