Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum banner

steam cleaning grout

21K views 34 replies 29 participants last post by  tileygrouty 
#1 ·
I've read a bunch of threads and haven't heard anyone mention steam cleaning grout. I've done several floors now with my steam cleaner. no chemicals just plain high pressure steam. tedious work, but the results are awesome. my clients are real happy and can't believe the results. anyone else steaming?

#3 · (Edited)
i use a euro-pro. it comes with a few attachments, 2 for grout and tight spaces. residential cleaning is what i've been doing. also use on bathroom fixtures, toilet hinges and base. super clean, sanitizes these areas as well. it breaks up hard water build up ok, but i still use chemical cleaners to get the heavy stuff. not enough water to require a vacuum, it will evaporate, but leaves the residue behind. a good wipe with a towel does it for me. the steamer has a temperature adjuster on it, haven't used it on my truck engine yet, but i'm sure it'll come out real nice.
thanks for replying.

#11 ·
steam cleaning grout.

Fill the steam cleaner with water, and allow to reach proper operating temperature. Begin at the bottom or lowest point, if cleaning walls. Start applying steam with the applicator touching the wall or floor, concentrating on the grout lines. Pay special attention to any of the grout lines that have mold or mildew. Move slowly, and work on an area approximately 2 by 2 feet. Use a clean towel or rags to wipe off any water that runs down the wall to avoid streaks.

#14 ·
Steam Cleaning Grout

I agree that steam cleaning can be effective, but would also suggest pretreating with professional grade products like HMK R55 Intensive Cleaner with a 15 minute dwell time. You will find that this will speed up the process and give you good results.

i also agree that the grout needs to be fully cured, at least one year.

#34 ·
I agree that steam cleaning can be effective, but would also suggest pretreating with professional grade products like HMK R55 Intensive Cleaner with a 15 minute dwell time. You will find that this will speed up the process and give you good results.

i also agree that the grout needs to be fully cured, at least one year.
Steam Cleaning can be effective but not in all situations!

#15 ·
Yes I agree with you all....Steam cleaning is the best option to cleaning grout, it eliminates scrape marks and swill out dirt or kill grout at their roots. It is also the best method to work easily and efficiently. I think using steam cleaner to remove the first level of dirt or if you are effort to remove a large stain or to clean the grout in hard- to reach corners, you will require cleaning products like crushed oxygen bleach, a basic all purpose cleaner and a scour brush. If you want to clean the kitchen area, be sure to have to use only non-toxic cleaning products.

#19 ·
Steam cleaning will give you the best results. the proper cleaning solutions, agitation, time an temperature is most important. I tend to clean at a lower pressure (aprox 500-600psi on residential and 800 on commercial) Some guys will crank up the pressure to over 1000 psi. This is where you can run into problems with grout chipping. If you employ the other factors of the cleaning pie, 600 psi should be more than enough to get the job done.

#23 ·
Here is I normally steam clean grout

I might be going overboard, but here is how I clean grout. first I spray a grout cleaning chemical. Then I scrub the grout joint the best I can with a grout brush. After that, I use a vapor machine and vapor clean the grout joints. Once I cleaned it up as good as its going to clean up, I wipe all of the dirt off the floor with rags. It normally cleans up pretty good and the customer will tell me to go ahead and seal it.But if it doesnt clean up as good as you would like, you could always color seal it. either way , you end up with clean looking grout joints

#28 ·
I agree that steam cleaning can do a good job, but I cannot agree that it is the best method. I use water instead of heated steam, at pressure adjustable up to 1300 PSI. My equipment has a built-in extracting vacuum, so cleanup doesnt get any easier. I let my cleaning products dwell on the surface about 15 minutes, then I pass my tools. I can typically clean 1000-1200 square feet per hour this way. There's no wiping afterwards, spray the tile, let it dwell, then spray and extract in one step. I use this primarily on ceramic tile, but have also done brick, concrete, marble, limestone, slate.....I get really great results without the extra hassle. Also, I dont believe that this is indicative of all steam cleaning, but I have gone up against a local competitor on two occasions....he uses a steam cleaner. The first time, I did a demonstration in a room he had cleaned two days prior. The homeowner was so mad that she had paid the other guy money for the poor results he provided. There was a night and day difference between his finished product and my demo.

#29 ·
Careful when steam cleaning grout... old grout, new grout, too much psi pressure, wrong cleaning product, .... can damage it. Personally, I will use the good old elbow grease method for small jobs but for big jobs, since I'm self-employed, do not have employees, etc.. I will refer them to professionals that mainly do this and are a butt load more experienced them me at this.

You have to know where your weaknesses are.... :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.