Tile cleaner - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Tile cleaner

I have seen alot of talk about different cleaners and im just wanting to get some ideas on what you all think is the best to clean tile and grout..I know the alkaline works great on soap scum, but what brand of acid cleaner works best on heavy soil??

Thanks to all who respond..

Roger Harmon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

tile cleaner

so nobody has any suggestions?????? or nobody wants to give out any secrets???
post #3 of Old 02-08-2008, 06:04 AM

Phosphoric acid but NEVER USE AROUND STONE.

Make sure to mix properly, neutralize, and use caution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-16-2008, 06:56 PM

Agreed...Acid will etch the stone and then you got problems...
Alkaline and a grout brush on a pole works for most jobs I do, some small spots I hit with acid. Keep in mind sometimes it is just STAINED and you'll remove the grout before the stain!
Hope this helps.

P.S. George, I like your site, and by the way, how did you get into such fantastic shape?

Last edited by davendana; 02-16-2008 at 07:00 PM.
post #5 of Old 03-24-2008, 11:53 AM

tile & grout cleaning problem

Hi,
Wanted to put my two cents in here. I have used and like a product called StoneClean & Strip that is on the alkaline side of pH but not so high as to damage polished marble. It is surfactant based and contains NO detergents. Using an acid may clean well once but repeated use will make the grout more porous and hasten resoiling. Care also need to be taken to rinse, rinse, and rinse after using an acid based product. Once rewetted the salts react and can continue to etch.
I have solved cleaning problems that the toughest industrial cleaner could not solve so am sure this would do the trick. Cleaning chemistry does matter! Safe enough to clean polished marble floor grout yet tough enough to float out embeded dirt in quarry tile grouting!
Stan
post #6 of Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 AM

hello
You can always buy commercial cleaners that are designed for ceramic tiles as well as use plain

tap water for damp mopping. You can make a mixture of 1Cup. White vinegar and a gallon of

water will be an ample cleaning solution for mopping your floors.
post #7 of Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 PM

Heheh, at this point I really wish I could recommend my product, but then two things restrain me, ethics (im here to learn not sell) and availability (unless you feel like flying to Japan to pick up some bottles). Though, on the topic of tile cleaner, how much does it usually cost to clean per square foot? For example, the one we carry is about 10cents a square foot (before dilution). Would that be considered expensive, cheap, what?
post #8 of Old 07-17-2008, 04:07 AM

hello
you can use OxalicAcid is used for commercial purpose and to romeve rust from the iron
post #9 of Old 09-09-2008, 02:20 AM

I realize this is an old thread, but I need to mention a couple of things.

Never use vinegar on your floors, as it is an acid and will slowly break down your grout. Don't believe me? Go to the North American Tile Counsel and read for yourself. NEVER use it around natural stone, it is an acid and will etch.

Oxalic Acid is probably the only thing that will damage true granite.

If you are looking for a commercial cleaner and you are a professional, try Stonetech, Prochem, MBstone, or Hydra Master. All are large manufacturers of great products. Each has thier own version of a tile cleaner.

az
post #10 of Old 09-18-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Tile and Grout View Post
I have seen alot of talk about different cleaners and im just wanting to get some ideas on what you all think is the best to clean tile and grout..I know the alkaline works great on soap scum, but what brand of acid cleaner works best on heavy soil??

Roger Harmon
I do not no much about grout cleaning but I spoke to this contractor well forensic investigator in San Jose and he had one that works really good. His website is davethegroutguy.com
or davethemarbleguy.com I do not remember but my boss was impressed with it.
post #11 of Old 09-21-2008, 06:15 PM

Lightbulb The best tile floor cleaner I've ever used...!

Hi Roger,

The best product I've ever used on tile flooring is the Shaklee Basic H...

You can find it on my business site below...!
post #12 of Old 01-23-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:

Roger Harmon
Grout is porous, it absorbs everything and eventually grows mold, discolors, and looks very dirty so resurface it.... After resurfacing, the grout will be sealed by the new finish...any alkaline foaming detergent would clean up the tiles.
post #13 of Old 03-15-2009, 12:11 AM

We have been cleaning tile for 9 years and I have yet to find a better acid cleaner than viper renew sold by Bridgepoint Systems. Again, as everyone else said, this product is NOT to be used on or around stone.

We have additional cleaning info on our website... http://www.paintedvalleygrout.com/Services/default.aspx

Hope this helps
Tile girl
Phoenix, Mesa, Chandler, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Fountain hills, AZ

Last edited by Tilegirl; 03-15-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something.
post #14 of Old 03-19-2009, 04:05 AM

Hello! You can always buy commercial cleaners that are designed for ceramic tiles as well as use plain tap water for damp mopping. You can make a mixture of 1Cup. White vinegar and a gallon of water will be an ample cleaning solution for mopping your floors.

Chandler Carpet Cleaning
post #15 of Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Recently I've been working on black grout joints which are really supposed to be white. After using at least 10 different chemicals and tools with zero luck. I tried a mild acid cleaner with a grout brush about 10" long attached to a pole and the bristles are tapered to fit down into the grout joint. This is a very slow but effective process doing one joint at a time.

I've been here about a year and one half and this is the first time they have been white grout joints. One way around a lot of fumes are set a fan up nearby to bring in fresh air and just as important do a small area, maybe a 3'x3' at a time then rinse with a mop or vacuum before moving on.
post #16 of Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:

Roger Harmon
This is a great homemade tile and grout cleaner that is safe for frequent use. It also works well for removing soap scum and cleaning tile counters.

* 1/2 cup of baking soda
* 1/3 cup of ammonia
* 1/4 cup of white vinegar
* 7 cups of water
subtract
Combine all the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well to mix. Do not use this in conjunction with chlorine bleach or where chlorine bleach has been used. (Never mix ammonia and bleach containing products.) Simply spray it on and then wipe with a damp sponge or cloth. No rinsing required.

post #17 of Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 AM

Try to use not too corrosive chemicals to clean tiles..
It might ruin the tiles..
Try to consult cleaning professionals before applying chemicals
on your tiles..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode