Is vinegar good for floor tiles - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-30-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Question Is vinegar good for floor tiles

I am looking forward on cleaning my windows, bathroom floor tiles etc. I was randomly going through some articles in Rbc Cleaning blog and I found something really common in every article in that and other blogs. Vinegar water mixture (adding mixture of vinegar and water). But as I was going through articles I found that vinegar on floors can cause chemical etching. Which is really bad for the tiled surfaces. And overuse of such home remedies are not safe at all. But most of the people around prefer home remedies. But I use to use this technique on my windows to get it cleaned completely but I really would like to have a clear idea about their effects. So far it didnít cause any damages until now but it would be great insight if anyone could explain the effects in detail ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-30-2016, 10:01 AM

Vinegar is acidic....this we know to be true...add heat and it becomes a powerful tool to break through the toughest materials.

Centuries ago it was used (with the power of the sun) to break through large rocks blocking paths.

Over the years, the number one complaints from clients....hazing and dullness on their wood, laminate and tile floors. The most noticeable...in front of windows (anywhere the sun shines in)

This ingredient will ruin marble, granite and many other natural stones

the wood and laminate floors that are installed today have a sealant on them and the shine factor varies depending on the choice of flooring. In most areas you only need water and in high traffic areas...a little bit of liquid detergent for hand washing dishes (preferably natural)....about a teaspoon in a bucket or 1/4 tsp. in a spray bottle.
post #3 of Old 04-15-2016, 01:31 AM

Hot water with a splash of vinegar will make laminate, tile and linoleum sparkle, leaving no build-up.

SteamPro Carpet Cleaning | Long Island | Nassau | Suffolk
http://www.steamprony.com/
877-85-STEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-15-2016, 07:25 AM

again, vinegar should not be used on floors or any natural material.
post #5 of Old 09-13-2016, 03:11 PM

Great info Everyone. Love this
post #6 of Old 09-23-2016, 03:12 AM

Its great for ceramic. Never use it on VCT
post #7 of Old 09-23-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalnut View Post
Vinegar is acidic....this we know to be true...add heat and it becomes a powerful tool to break through the toughest materials.

Centuries ago it was used (with the power of the sun) to break through large rocks blocking paths.

Over the years, the number one complaints from clients....hazing and dullness on their wood, laminate and tile floors. The most noticeable...in front of windows (anywhere the sun shines in)

This ingredient will ruin marble, granite and many other natural stones

the wood and laminate floors that are installed today have a sealant on them and the shine factor varies depending on the choice of flooring. In most areas you only need water and in high traffic areas...a little bit of liquid detergent for hand washing dishes (preferably natural)....about a teaspoon in a bucket or 1/4 tsp. in a spray bottle.
Awesome info man!
post #8 of Old 11-28-2016, 06:38 PM

I use a little bit of vinegar and water to clean tables
post #9 of Old 12-19-2016, 04:01 AM

Vinegar is good but don't use it more.And in cleaning windows just try using old newspaper dipped in normal water and rub through the glass window it really works..
post #10 of Old 01-16-2017, 02:12 AM

Vinegar is a natural, non-toxic product that safely deodorizes, disinfects and cleans most hard surfaces. When your porcelain or tile floors become soiled, vinegar can effectively clean them without harsh fumes. White vinegar is a mild acid that works especially well to dissolve grease and hard water stains.

www.mrhomecare.in

Last edited by Sharon Alex; 02-09-2017 at 05:54 AM.
post #11 of Old 03-08-2017, 07:16 AM

Is vinegar good for floor tiles?

The mixture of vinegar and warm water is really good for cleaning CERAMIC tile floors.
post #12 of Old 03-10-2017, 09:54 AM

Vinegar is 5% acid.You can drink it.People eat it everyday.
Salad dressing...
post #13 of Old 03-12-2017, 03:57 PM

Yes, all of the above what was said here. Be careful on wood floors and things with finishes. Honestly, ceramic tile is the only thing that I would consider using vinegar on. It's the standard ingredient in many home made "eco" cleaning products.
post #14 of Old 01-10-2018, 06:16 AM

Yes, Vinegar is mildly acidic, which makes it useful for dissolving hardened residue and is considered good and safe also for floor tiles including wood floors when diluting and can effectively clean them without harsh fumes. But care should be taken that excess use of Vinegar on tiles can be harmful. But in many studies I found that vinegar should not be used on floors or any natural material
post #15 of Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 AM

Vinegar is safe for cleaning all types of floors including wooden floors as it does not cause scratches and spots on the floor. It is a good product for deep cleaning. Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar in a bucket and start the cleaning process.
post #16 of Old 06-12-2018, 04:21 PM

No. Vinegar is NOT safe for all types of floors. Please do not believe this. If used on many laminates and hardwood floors, it will over time blemish and even damage the floor. On tile - use only a VERY weak solution. Why even bother with vinegar when there are so many great multi-purpose cleaning fluids out there that are totally safe and actually smell nice????
post #17 of Old 06-13-2018, 02:17 AM

I have used vinegar on my floors. It does not cause any blemishes. But still if you are worried about it then you can try Medline pH neutral floor cleaner. It is a amazing solution to get floors white and shiny.
post #18 of Old 06-13-2018, 08:10 AM

Vinegar is okay on most tile floors but probably NOT on marble.

I like the products I use now. A hydrogen peroxide "bleach" sanitizes, whitens and cleans beautifully. Not expensie and you dont need to use all that much. I like the one Lysol makes. NOT their bathroom cleaner - it stinks to high heaven! All purpose - it smells fine and cleans great.

Most of this stuff is personal preference, but there are some floors that require special care. Marble, laminates and hardwoodsw, to be exact.
post #19 of Old 07-01-2018, 08:45 AM

I started using part of a scoop of Oxygen Orange that I get at the dollar tree for light colored grout tiles.It's $1 and it works well.

MAKE SURE YOU DISSOLVE IT IN HOT WATER!!! Important...

Last edited by profcleaning; 07-01-2018 at 08:47 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling
post #20 of Old 07-01-2018, 05:19 PM

We all have our own personal favorites. I simply do not like the smell of vinegar, but I DO use it (plus lemon juice) to clean glass shower doors and windows. After I do that I use a normal glass cleaner to kill that smell. One of my bottles of vinegar and lemon spilled in my car a WEEK ago and my car still stinks!

I dont know of any reason you cant use vinegar on tile floors. But wh6y bother? When there are so many other things that work better and smell a helluva lot nicer???

Laminate floors can be tricky. One of my customers several years ago demanded that I ONLY use NON ammonia Windex on her beautiful and expensive laminate floors. She said the manufacturer told her to do this. I did as she wished but I am not all that sure it cleaned as well as other things do. I currently use a product specifially made ofr laminate floors. My only complaint is that it doesnt smell nice.

I dont know why the smell of products matter so much to me! But it does. LOL! Human begins are pretty complicated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode