How Much Is To Much - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-14-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

How Much Is To Much

WE STARTED A 2600 SQ FT HOUSE AND ALL WINDOWS WERE SPRAYED SOLID WITH SHEET ROCK MUD AND THE FRAMES WAS COVERED ALSO SO EVERYTHING HAD TO BE SCRAPED WITH A RAZOR KNIFE , THIS WAS A UPSTAIRS HOUSE AND HAD 33 WINDOWS, JUST CLEANING THE WINDOWS AND TUBS TOOK 23 HRS, THIS JOB IS PAYING 15CENT PER SQ FT...AND WE STILL HAVE TO DO A FINAL CLEAN DOES ANYONE THINK I AM BEING TAKEN FOR A RIDE ON THIS , I AM NEW AT THIS, AND THE CONTRACTOR DOESN'T ASK FOR A BID, HE JUST SAYS HE PAYS 15 CENT PER SQ FT FOR EVERYTHING UNDER ROOF...ANY RESPONES??? PLEASE HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-15-2007, 12:09 PM

Price would depend on the area you live in and if its a low end, middle end or high end house. How many people doyou have cleaning?

Cindy
post #3 of Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help

this house is located on the water so it is very expensive , and i think maybe the builder is trying to get more work than he is willing to pay for.. do you think when we go to do final clean the windows are included again.. he doesn't really give us much info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Is this a rough clean and then a final cleaning? Most of the time the windows are done in the rough cleaning then just touched up in the final cleaning if needed. Is he paying you .15 sq ft to clean the windows and tub and then going to pay you .15 sq ft to come back in and do a final cleaning? Price will depends on the area you live in, not knowing the area (state) you live in i can't say if he is taking you for a ride or not.

Cindy
post #5 of Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Hey Cindy ,
Thanks For All Your Help, He Is Only Paying Us The 15 Per Sq Ft For Rough And Final Clean.
Also This Is A Two Story House, I Was Told That The Square Footage Is Only The Bottom Floor, So I Guess This Means I Am Doing The Upstairs For Free??? That Doesn't Seem Right.does It???
Also I Am In The State Of Florida , Near Pensacola.
And If You Have A Good Bid Or Quote Sheet Could I Get You To Email It To Me [email protected]
You Have Been A Great Help...thanks
post #6 of Old 10-17-2007, 10:41 AM

First i would get me a measuring wheel and go measure the house myself. If the total sq ft is more than 2600 sq ft then i would talk to the builder is the builder the one who told you the sq ft if so if it's more than he told you i would let him know that i would clean the 2600 sq ft like i had said i would but if he wanted the rest of the house cleaned he would be charged for it. If you are a licensed and insured company then yes i think your being taken for a ride on the price however you agreed to do the cleaning for this price so you have to bite the bullet and just do it and consider it a learning experience. I will try to get you some information on the pricing in your area

P.S. There is a book called Construction Cleanup by Don Aslett it has some sample bids and talks about pricing a must have book.

Cindy
post #7 of Old 10-18-2007, 12:37 PM

ANG, if you have any hopes of staying in business as a you will need to charge at LEAST $30 per man hour. If two people spend 10 hours on a job thats a bill rate of $600.

If you are doing this yourself, your rate at your mentioned 23 hours is $690. You haven't even finished what 1/3 of the job? AwesomeCleaning is right. This will be a 'no profit' learning experience. No work is ALWAYS better than free work. Your troubles are twofold. One, I am thinking, is that you are cleaning this property like you would clean your own home. Two, your inexperience is leading to you being inefficient. There are certain types of work I wil not get into because my company is not setup for it. If I were you, I would finish this job and step back and take a look at what your strengths are. If you are a fussy, detailed cleaner (a good thing, IMO) then you should start with residential work until you can afford to hire employees to do jobs like this. Get some door hangers made up (professionally) and canvass neighborhoods that fit your target demographic and go after homeowners. Contractors and builders are infamous for taking new companies to the cleaners (no pun intended) ;-)

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #8 of Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks For The Help Ken, One ? What Did You Mean By I Am Cleaning Like I Do My Own Home, Does That Mean I Am Doing Too Much.. I Like To Do A Good Job But I Don't Want To Spend All My Time Doing This For Nothing...
We Live In A Small Area I Guess You Would Say Compared To You All But There Is Work Here It Is Just Hard To Get It. Reply If You Will. Thanks Again For Your Input.. Angie
post #9 of Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 PM

What I meant by that statement is that you may be getting caught up in minutia detail that you are not getting paid for. Your area size is not relevant when it comes down to your profits/earnings. If the competition is too great for you to make the profit you need to, you have to change direction and either work on efficiency or choose a different clientele. If it makes you feel any better my first deck took me a full day to strip and another full day to strip. We now do that size deck in about an hour on each process. Keep at it and stay positive.

Angie, I have a small favor to ask of you. Its a little difficult (at least for my aging eyes) when someone capitalizes every word.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #10 of Old 10-21-2007, 01:33 PM

I replied to some of your other posts and then found the full thread on this. I started in residential and commercial 15 years ago and then switched to construction and commercial about 5 years ago. No insult intended, but I feel that this builder "got you". Normally, I get total square footage of living space. When in doubt, I measure each room. Non living areas if requested are quoted separately.
New, Unfinished basements, are not considered living space. I quote by living area (final and rough) by the sq ft. Windows are always a separate item quoted. New windows are the toughest for multiple reasons.. first they always need a minimum of two times over on each side. First to remove factory oils and stickers and the second to detail. Then add time factor for stucco and drywall spackle etc. I hope this helps. I am in PA and I am not sure of the difference between states as far as rates per square foot but doing both rough and final with windows at .15 is toooooo cheap.
post #11 of Old 10-21-2007, 01:42 PM

Just an after thought ... check with your insurance carrier. In my state, if you are over a certain height off the ground on a ladder cleaning windows and something happens you may not be covered (breakage, scratches, falls, etc.) I always, network with a fully insured window cleaner, just in case I run into this situation.
post #12 of Old 11-12-2007, 05:44 PM

I have been doing construction cleaning for 14 yrs in the Orlando area...right now work is very competitive and the pricing has really dropped! For 15cents a SF you should be doing 2 cleans a Rough (window frames, tubs cabinets and sweep out) and then a Final clean which entails after all trades have come through you make it shine. Then if you do a reclean for a homeowner walk after supt. does punch out, that is another BILLABLE clean. If you let them they will take advantage of you. It is normal for there to be drywall around the window frames and sills...but if they are completely oversprayed with either drywall and/or paint you should be backcharging for extra time. In this area of FL windows are usually included in the overall price. Hope this helps.
post #13 of Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 PM

Cleaning in MN

Here in Minnesota we charge $.20/sqft and that does not include the windows at all. There is too much of a chance of scratching tempered glass, and the glass cleaners make the builders sign a waiver before cleaning. The tempered glass is a whole other issue, and we have had to pay to have a window replaced because of scratching, therefore we stopped cleaning them. Our contractors have not minded paying $.20/sqft + window cleaning costs.
post #14 of Old 01-20-2008, 11:48 AM

We do post-construction cleaning for only one, very high-end contractor. Every job is cost plus, regardless of the number of times at the same house. There have been houses where we've cleaned three and four times as more work is added as they get towards the end of the project. The man-hours are tracked for each visit and added up after the final clean.

Window cleaning is ALWAYS a separately billed service. With regard to scratched glass, we began last year requiring a waiver be signed. One of the houses we cleaned last summer had over $250,000 worth of glass in it. No way was I paying to replace any of it! For information on scratched glass - even if you sub out the service - go to scratched-glass.net. A very useful site.

Dave
post #15 of Old 11-07-2008, 08:28 PM

Do you have a copy of the waiver you use for the glass that you may be will to give out. If so I could really use one as we are just starting our first townhome complex this Wednesday. We go that morning to sign the paperwork. Would love to have something like that for them to sign.

Tina
post #16 of Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Window cleaning is ALWAYS a separately billed service
If you separately bill for windows here you might as well find a different line of work.
post #17 of Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 AM

There is no such thing as asking for too much. You should always be trying to upsell services.

What else can you offer to the construction company or the future home owner?

- Construction sites are very dusty, and the homeowner is going to need another cleaning by the time they get back.
- Glass cleaning.
- Landscaping services
- Snow removal

... The list goes on ...

Just shooting from the hip.
post #18 of Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Lou

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou
Foam It and Forget it

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169
post #19 of Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Whoa!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Foam It and Forget it
Whoa!!! So you just foam the interior of the house? Isnt that asking for trouble like mold and what not? Tell me the process....please...and what do you accomplish from it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode