new construction pricing????help - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-20-2007, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Question new construction pricing????help

I have jumped into a new construction residential cleanup. I am pretty sure i am getting ripped off. This new house is 3500sq ft. I have cleaned walls, baseboards, floors (wood &tile), vaccumed, cleaned 3 bathrooms with paint on tubs, 1 half bath, windows inside and out with paint on the inside, and garage. Now after all that i was paid $500.00. I have never done this before, but my back and butt tells me it was worth way more>>> Anybody care to comment on how crazy i really am???lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Iím not sure I understand how you might be getting ripped off.
The $500.00 dollars you received, did you agree to the amount??? The work scope, did you agree to it???

You did say this was your first ppc, no experience before??? At about .15 per square foot thatís a good starting point for a beginner, for someone just ďjumping intoĒ it. I think itís a great start.

As apposed to the physical work, yes thatís a lot work for one person, but we all started out that way. Did you have a partner? On a house that size I would send a crew of 5 men (4 cleaners & a manager) and it would take about 5 hours. (25 man hours, did you have that much into the project?)

Prices very from different parts of the country, from builder to builder, from cleaning company to cleaning company. What part of the country are you from, what is an estimate on the selling price for this house?
post #3 of Old 11-22-2007, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

hey, thanks for your response.
i am from shreveport, louisiana. yes i did agree to the $500, 400 after 1st clean, 100 after final. as far as the scope, i was told about (everything,)?? yeah right. except the garage, but i said okay after the deal.
yes i had a partner splitting the $ down the middle. together our work hrs so far is 45hrs, plus my boyfriend came over & cleaned the high windows outside for me, took him bout 1 1/2 hour.
here is my problem, there was no water, carpet wasn't finished, painters were not finished, mirrors were not there yet, so i did the best i could for the first cleanup, i thought,
i can't seem to please this guy.
i meet with him after the first clean up so he could tell me what all he expected. he was not pleased with any of my work, "he expected a whole lot more" he said i need to clean the windows again, floors are pergo so he wanted me to clean them with dust mop and endust,
i had used murphys soap oil, my mop was wrang out real good.
he wanted me to get the scratches out of the tub???? i chalked it up again cause i really wanted this house to be my "word of mouth. "
seeing that he wasn't pleased i didn't asked for the first payment i was going to wait until i got through and he was pleased. he called and asked if he could pay 250 now 250 on final. i already had invoice completed so he paid the 400.
so i go back for final clean which i knew what he wanted, i though??he had sticky notes all over the house, as i cleaned the sticky notes came off.
i didn't know i had to scrape paint off the windows but i wanted to do a jam up job so i went & bought a scraper & oops,i thought the windows looked great. he said i needed to redo all the windows. i sucked it up and cleaned the windows i could reach, he still is not happy, the tub got scratched by one of the contractors,thank God i showed him that before i ever touched it. he said he has never had to worry about that in the past that the clean'n crew took care of all that. he is still hold'n my final payment.
not wanting to burn any bridges, just his,
i told him that it was obvious that i couldn't make him happy, but i agreed to do this job and i would come back one more time but this was it.
the house is already sold 435,000.00
help,

Last edited by sanderella; 11-22-2007 at 02:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-22-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

hey, thanks for your response.
i am from shreveport, louisiana. yes i did agree to the $500, 400 after 1st clean, 100 after final. as far as the scope, i was told about (everything,)?? yeah right. except the garage, but i said okay after the deal.
yes i had a partner splitting the $ down the middle. together our work hrs so far is 45hrs, plus my boyfriend came over & cleaned the high windows outside for me, took him bout 1 1/2 hour.
here is my problem, there was no water, carpet wasn't finished, painters were not finished, mirrors were not there yet, so i did the best i could for the first cleanup, i thought,
i can't seem to please this guy.
i meet with him after the first clean up so he could tell me what all he expected. he was not pleased with any of my work, "he expected a whole lot more" he said i need to clean the windows again, floors are pergo so he wanted me to clean them with dust mop and endust,
i had used murphys soap oil, my mop was wrang out real good.
he wanted me to get the scratches out of the tub???? i chalked it up again cause i really wanted this house to be my "word of mouth. "
seeing that he wasn't pleased i didn't asked for the first payment i was going to wait until i got through and he was pleased. he called and asked if he could pay 250 now 250 on final. i already had invoice completed so he paid the 400.
so i go back for final clean which i knew what he wanted, i though??he had sticky notes all over the house, as i cleaned the sticky notes came off.
i didn't know i had to scrape paint off the windows but i wanted to do a jam up job so i went & bought a scraper & oops,i thought the windows looked great. he said i needed to redo all the windows. i sucked it up and cleaned the windows i could reach, he still is not happy, the tub got scratched by one of the contractors,thank God i showed him that before i ever touched it. he said he has never had to worry about that in the past that the clean'n crew took care of all that. he is still hold'n my final payment.
not wanting to burn any bridges, just his,
i told him that it was obvious that i couldn't make him happy, but i agreed to do this job and i would come back one more time but this was it.
the house is already sold 435,000.00
help,
post #5 of Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 PM

Hi Sanderella
I guess you’re learning that there is a lot to know about pcc. Did the builder know this was your first pc cleaning gig? He could have been a little more understanding and given you more up-front direction.

If you decide to stick with post construction cleaning I promise it gets easer the more jobs you do and the more confidence and knowledge you build.

Several suggestions: Don’t use Murphy Oil Soap on anything in pcc, just leave it at home; it makes a mess out of the brand new floors. Too much oil base that’s not needed, it acts like a magnet to airborne dust and dirt.

For “engineered” pre-finished floors like Pergo, use a cleaning product recommended for that floor type like Pergo's Laminate and Hard Surface cleaner or a mixture of household vinegar and water (1-cup vinegar to 1-gallon warm water) or household ammonia and water (1/3 cup ammonia to 1-gallon warm water). Do not use soap or detergent-based cleaners, wax-based products or any type of polish on Pergo floors, as they leave a dull, filmy residue.

Do as much research on pcc as you can, like what is expected in a post construction cleaning work scope. How to properly clean windows and most importantly; how to identify different window types. Do you know how to clean Low-e glass??? How to clean hardwood floors. Did you clean out the duct work vents?

Just by the little description in your post I can tell there a lot of things required in pcc you were not aware of. Its important to understand that pcc is closer to construction trades than to janitorial or residential cleaning.

I could spend three hours just writing about the Do’s & Don’ts. There is just so much to know and learn .

Good Luck on your next project

Last edited by Dirty Talk; 11-22-2007 at 08:04 PM.
post #6 of Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

dirty talk,
thank you so much. u have been alot of help. going back again this morning hopefully for the last time.
to answer your questions. yes he knew i had no idea what i was doing. i was honest and upfront with him from the start.
i know now about the pergo floors,
did my research a little late on that.
i dont even know what a low-e glass is.???
no i didn't have to do any vent duct clean (thank God) wouldn't even know where to start on that one.
yeah, your right about there was alot more than i expected.
i always have to learn the hard way when starting something new. guess that's kinda good, get it all out of the way at one time. lol
well got to go. wish me luck and pray my tongue doesn't hurt me today. lol
again, thank you so very much, i know for a fact i couldn't have made it without you and this wonderful website.
hope you had a happy gobble gobble day.
Sandy
post #7 of Old 12-09-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
he said he has never had to worry about that in the past that the clean'n crew took care of all that.
Most scratches can be 'covered' with Bar Keepers Friend or sheet rock dust even works - put a little on a rag or just your finger and rub it in the scratch. Wa-la it is 'gone'.

If it is a chip or a hole or large crack this will not work - the builder will need to call the tub guy to come in a repair it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode