A New Opportunity - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-04-2018, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

A New Opportunity

Hi all,
I'm new to the site and found it while looking into info regarding construction cleanup. I own a Window Cleaning Business and Jan 1 will be my 2nd full year in the business. This is a side business for me as I work a full time job that allows two to three days a week for me to attend to my business. I have one employee, a Ford Ranger (with logos and phone number), a Website, a Facebook page, and a Google business page. These are my only forms of advertisement. I'm approaching $60K revenue since Jan 1, 2017.

Recently we were hired to clean a $1M home, owned by a contractor. He and I hit it off from the moment we met and as soon as I gave him the quote he mentioned that he has another house, that he is currently building, around the corner. We took a look at it and counted the windows for the quote, but he indicated he'd like to hire us for the entire interior cleanup when construction is complete. He told me to take my time and research it since he wouldn't need me for another month.

The more I think about it the more excited I get. Mostly because I am bored of windows and construction cleaning has a much higher potential revenue from the information I am finding. It looks like the going rate is anywhere from .20-50 per sq. ft. Now, I realize that its easy to see the potential revenue and not see the potential headaches and that is why I am here.

If I head in this direction I would likely keep my employee on storefronts through the first part of the week while I am working my regular job and leave the backend of the week open for cleanup jobs where he and I would work together. We can still schedule residential window cleaning (good revenue) until we get enough clientele to keep us busy. At that point I would likely hire to replace me on the job site and spend the majority of my time bidding jobs and securing work.

I figure I can buy additional tools and materials for probably less than $500 (decent shop vac, mops, buckets, cleaning solutions, brooms, dust pans). The house he needs cleaned is roughly 3000 sq. ft.

Does anyone have any advice or see any holes in my plan? I think it is a good opportunity to try our hand at the work, see if we like it enough to move in that direction, work with someone who understands that we are new and will learn on his project, and possibly get coached throughout the job. I would likely buy him lunch afterwards and pick his brain about how to connect with more people like him. An added bonus, his wife is a realtor and heard about us through a realty group so our name is already out there. Adding the service to our offerings would be simple. Understanding the bidding process and covering our bases to protect our interests would take time to learn.

Thanks. I look forward to any feedback, advice, and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode