removing sawdust-- help - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-10-2006, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

removing sawdust-- help

hi

thanks shane for the info, it worked today, now the big problem today was getting all the dust out of the floor, off the logs, etc. dust is everywhere!! i damped mopped a very small room today 6 times and it still has dust, (i used the shopvac first, then tried to mop) any suggestions about getting dust out of a log cabin??????
come on guys, help a good country girl out!

thanks a bunch!!!
davon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 PM

What are you trying to remove the sawdust from? Have you tried tac cloths? They are used for woodworking to remove all of the fine dust prior to staining or painting.
post #3 of Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 AM

One reason I stopped doing ccu work (except windows) is the dust. I never got the hang of getting ALL of the dust off of tile. Mop, mop, mop,mop....I ended up using my rotovac with tile floor attatchment and carpet extraction machine but that took for ever.

I hope someone drops a good tip here for that.

Hi-rise window washers;
Paid to hang out
Best veiw in town
Stay high at work
Corner office..sometimes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-11-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

the dust is EVERYWHERE!!!! i vacuum, i mop, i vacuum then mop again. maybe i need a better shop vac. the dust is just flying around, i dont think it will be out anytime soon. i havent tried the tac cloths. i will though. thanks!! can you get them at lowe's or home ddepot???

thank you again!
post #5 of Old 12-11-2006, 07:30 PM

You do need a better dry vac with heavy duty filtration. Your doing this professionally so you would be best suited by contractor grade products. Check out offering from Bosch, Fein, Festool and Porter-Cable. Feins are my personal choice. Home Cheapo and Blowes offer homeowner grade tools for the most part.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #6 of Old 12-11-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Home Cheapo and Blowes offer homeowner grade tools for the most part.
OMG Ken that is too funny!

I do have to agree though that a better vacuum is needed for construction clean up. Happy cleaner if you are interested contact me I can give you the contract information for a company that supplies a wide variety of professional vacuums, they can answer all of your questions and help you to find the right vaccume for your needs.
post #7 of Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 PM

One thing to remember is a vacuum has an exhaust. If you are in a real dusty room and turn on a vacuum that exhaust will stir up all the dust an make it airborne. When you think everything is clean and return several hours latter that airborne dust will settle and your back where you started. Tac cloths or treated dust cloths are where you start. Good advise from T.P. wiping everything down by hand so you don't stir up all the dirt. Then folllow with a good commercial vacuum with HEPA or equivilent. ALso good advise from Ken. (If you have access to a truck mount you have a very powerful vacuum at your disposal and no exhaust inside the building.)

Joey D.
post #8 of Old 12-13-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearly professional View Post
One reason I stopped doing ccu work (except windows) is the dust. I never got the hang of getting ALL of the dust off of tile. Mop, mop, mop,mop....I ended up using my rotovac with tile floor attatchment and carpet extraction machine but that took for ever.

I hope someone drops a good tip here for that.
so then tac cloths are the "good tip"...dpo some of you actually wipe down 3k feet fo flooring with cloths?

Hi-rise window washers;
Paid to hang out
Best veiw in town
Stay high at work
Corner office..sometimes
post #9 of Old 12-13-2006, 08:47 PM

am doing a post construction site now (4600 sq ft) and find that the vertical surfaces are easy, it's the danged hardwood floors that are a pain. vacuum, vacuum, mop, mop mop. and mop again. and it still looks streaky.

am not to the point financially where i can purchase a better vac. is there an alternative rental machine out there to get all of the sanding/drywall residue off the floors? or would it be cheaper to buy something else? they are cedar plank hardwood floors in most of the house.

i don't do post construction that often (usually residential and turn cleaning) and my shop vac works great for them. feel like i am spinning my wheels on this one.

can you send links to alternative machines?

thanks in advance,

suzi g
post #10 of Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearly professional View Post
so then tac cloths are the "good tip"...dpo some of you actually wipe down 3k feet fo flooring with cloths?
not an option at this house. too much space to use tack cloths. it would be the fourth of july before i finish.
post #11 of Old 12-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Have you tried using a good microfiber mop for the floors? First dry dust then damp mop, changing the pads often
post #12 of Old 12-14-2006, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

hi
thank you all!!! i didnt know if i was going to get any help! ha
i bought some tack cloths last nite, i'll try them. i have 3 shop vacs, rigid,shop vac, and a real cheap one from big lots, and it really works the best. it seems like i'm stirring up more than vacumming. that dang blower is on my nerves. anyway thanks again!!
they closed on the house yesterday, i have to go back fri, to do a "wipe down" ---- yeah right. the owners are do in sat to see there "mansion on the mountain. have a happy day!-- i will i'm doing 1 very small house(2 bedroom)
post #13 of Old 12-17-2006, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Hi
Just Wanted You To Know The Tac Cloths Are The Thing!!! They Worked Great And Only 98cents! Thanks Soooo Much! I Wish I Knew About Them, I Got Them On The Last Day Of Our 7 Day Cleaning!!! Cabin Looks Great! Thanks Again For Your Info!!!
Davon
post #14 of Old 12-17-2006, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
Have you tried using a good microfiber mop for the floors? First dry dust then damp mop, changing the pads often
went out and bought one. just a libman from "home cheapo" and followed your advice on the dry/damp mopping. boy did it make a difference.

thanks so much. vacuumed them a bazillion times first of course. but they looked great after the microfiber.

unfortunately, they won't stay clean because the painters are still there dry sanding walls and woodwork. but it's the contractor's house and he wanted to move in this weekend. it's insane trying to work around the painters, plumbers, inspectors. clean it and they track it, gunk it up, etc. very frustrating and not cost-efficient for the contractor.

don't like working that way but he's a friend of my son-in-law and pays well. i dread going back because now they will have some of their furniture in the way and they will be in the way. just going to do the best i can and clean around the "stuff".

and did i mention they have 2 dogs?

will definitely hit a jani-supply store and get a good microfiber mop system for the next job.

thanks for the time-saving tip!

suzi g
post #15 of Old 12-17-2006, 01:24 PM

I an glad that it worked out for everyone
post #16 of Old 12-17-2006, 06:54 PM

Thumbs up

and thank you for the tip that made it work well for me. the microfiber mop was the bomb.

suzi g
post #17 of Old 12-18-2006, 04:40 AM

I have never tried either; tac cloths nor micro fiber mop....I appreciate the tips as well.

Hi-rise window washers;
Paid to hang out
Best veiw in town
Stay high at work
Corner office..sometimes
post #18 of Old 12-18-2006, 10:04 AM

In my opinion Microfibers are wonderful, as long as you purchase the quality ones.... I find that the cheap ones sold in most stores are not worth the money that you will pay esspecially if you are using them professionally.

I get my microfibers from Aquastar, they are excellent quality and cost less then most of the cheapies from the chain stores.
post #19 of Old 12-19-2006, 01:22 PM

The best investment you can make for picking up the dust is a back pack vacuum cleaner. Pro Team makes the best ones on the market. You'll not only be able to vacuum up the floors, but window sills, inside cabinets, you name it. Get all the attachments too.

Once you've got it all vacuumed up, then the microfibers will get the rest. As Theresa said, get good quality microfibers. The ones you find in the grocery stores and big box stores usually have fillers and aren't true microfibers.
post #20 of Old 05-12-2007, 01:42 PM

Micro fibers rags hook to your shopvac floor attachment or a good microfiber dust mop no water until you use the micros if you spray a little lemon oil on them it helps to, but very little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode