Starting a Construction Cleaning Business - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Starting a Construction Cleaning Business

Hi everyone,

I am starting a construction cleaning business here in Spring, Texas.
Can you guys give me some tips on rates and what to watch out for ect..
Here is list of my questions:

What is a good sq/ft rate for this area? i have come up with .15 to .35cent sqaure foot, but plan on visiting the site and doing an estimate based on the workload ect..

What equipment would i need?
So far i am going to use my pickup and an enclosed trailor to hall stuff to landfills.

Do i really need to get bonded and get liability insurance if its just me and my wife at the start?

Does anyone have any sample bids i could look at?

Do contractors use this type of service or just have thier own people who do it?

Thanks all for any helps and/or tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-01-2012, 02:41 AM

Hi,
As you asked that what equipments needed for cleaning then I would like to tell you that it depends up to you that which different type of cleaning you are going to offer? There are several types of cleaning such as water pressure cleaning, roof cleaning, pressure cleaning and commercial cleaning. So its basically depends up to you that which types of service you are offering because cleaning instruments totally depends on types of cleaning area.
post #3 of Old 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM

I would DEFINITELY get insurance EVEN if it's only you and your wife to start. One "hard customer" or one "mistake" on your part could lead to litigation which in turn could wipe you out financially. Protect yourself and ensure you are covered to prevent bigger problems down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 AM

Starting a cleaning business does not need large savings, or much proficiency. The company is pleased with basic cleaning materials, a machine running water or hydro jet, washing floors and workers with minimum expertise.
The cleaning companies charges according to per square meter. In fact to clean a new 10 floor building with an estimated area of 150 square feet per plant, can make around 10 thousand dollars in less than a fortnight. Pretty good!!!

flood sewer backup cleaners ny
post #5 of Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 AM

Compared to home and office cleaning, construction cleaning is somewhat tedious task and you need to have large team to finish the whole task within the time limit. It needs hard work but there is more business opportunity for you.

We Provide Office Cleaning Services
post #6 of Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 AM

Construction cleaning business needs more effort to run it successful. Along with that, you should have man power as well. You will provide efficient services to your clients with affordable rates.
post #7 of Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM

Does anyone out there have an example we can use for a business proposal to present to a company for construction clean up? We want our proposal package to be very professional, informative and will be followed up with a bid. Any help someone can give us would be great, we really want to get this started soon since the weather is finally warming up. Thanks!

Judy & Steve White
J & S Janitorial Services/Brooke's Chem-Dry
4751 S 13th St, Unit 2
Leavenworth, KS 66048
913-351-3508

Last edited by judel74; 04-25-2013 at 10:29 AM.
post #8 of Old 05-23-2014, 03:31 AM

This posts is*very*informative.*Thank you!

Last edited by Otoredolo; 06-16-2014 at 06:29 AM.
post #9 of Old 05-30-2014, 11:20 PM

the templates builders use in construction cleaning vary, and depend on different factors, such as the type of structure, their budget, and the importance they place on clean ups. Regional Home Builders pay out at "contractor rates" which are a percentage below retail rates. Their payouts are less because they offer a high concentration of work at a single location, which also saves you money. A common template I use in New Home Construction Cleaning looks like this;

Drywall Jamb Cleaning: The first clean up in the structure after drywall texture is sprayed. Cleans excess spray off the window frames so painters have a clean line to caulk and paint. Cleans excess drywall from around casement openings and ends with a floorplan sweep out. Billed at .02 - .03 / sq foot, or about $75.00 for a 3500 sq/ft house.

Rough Clean: As the name implies, a rough clean out of the house. An important clean for the builder from a timing perspective, allows the builder to better see and inspect the installed components in the house and gives them ample time to yank out and replace a bad bath tub, for instance, while the build is still young. Its rough, but conscientious enough to accomodate the builder and next wave of subs coming into the house. Billed at .07 - .10 / sq foot, or about $280.00 for a 3500 sq/ft house.

Final Clean: Getting to the details, cleans all of the installed components in the house to a high degree. Includes glass in and out. Builders usually "Quality Control" the house after this clean and develop a punch list to get the house to closing on time. Billed same as rough. Depending on who you are working for and competing against, rough and final cleaning can bill from .10 to .35 / sq ft. I'm usually at .25 when working outside of Regional Builders. As building materials evolve and more "world class" materials are used in homes, your risk level increases, your cost to do business increases (supplies). Your liability insurance policy does not cover you for "Your Work", meaning if you screw up a marble floor, your paying for it. Don't screw it up!

1st Re Clean: Also known as a buff clean, prepares the house for a homeowner walk. All of the heavy cleaning has been done, this one is lighter but very complete. From this homeowner walk, the final punchlist is developed and in 7 days, the house closes. Bills at .03 - .04 sq ft.

2nd Re Clean: For customer occupancy. Bills the same as the 1st.

Extra Work: It always comes up, billed at an hourly rate, about $15/hr.

Pressure Washing Flatwork: Includes garage floor, driveway, sidewalk from lot line to lot line. Bills at a flat rate, $50 - $80.00, or so.

Hope this template example is helpful...

Best..
post #10 of Old 06-02-2014, 05:09 PM

If you're doing post construction cleaning for .07 - .10/sq ft you are only hurting yourself. That's wayyy too low! That's way too much work for so little. just my .02

www.a1cleaningtechnologies.com

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill
post #11 of Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melijack View Post
Starting a cleaning business does not need large savings, or much proficiency. The company is pleased with basic cleaning materials, a machine running water or hydro jet, washing floors and workers with minimum expertise.
The cleaning companies charges according to per square meter. In fact to clean a new 10 floor building with an estimated area of 150 square feet per plant, can make around 10 thousand dollars in less than a fortnight. Pretty good!!!
I agree. The start up is actually pretty minimal equipment-wise. The hard part is getting your foot in the door and getting work at first.
post #12 of Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 AM

Are you into outside cleaning business? In that business you would be cleaning up all the wood, plastic, wires, or the general mess that the contractors have left on the ground or in the garage. It's not an easy job to undertake, but if you get in with a few builders you should always be able to stay busy and have money coming into your pocket.
post #13 of Old 11-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Construction cleaning is hard work!
And yes get insurance.In fact most of your clients will require it and they will probably tell you how much insurance they require by providing you with a sample insurance certificate that you must match.Find out before you do your pricing as it could significantly alter your costs and of course the quote you provide.
Make sure that you list on the quote form what exactly you are quoting or you could end up doing a lot more than you bargained on.
We all now that cleaning does not stay where you put it.

Go slow and learn.You'll stay in business and learn much from the experience.

https://www.ebookit.com/books/000000...Right-Way.html
post #14 of Old 08-26-2015, 02:52 AM

Step 1
Apply for a business license to operate a construction site cleanup business in your area. Contact the county clerk's office or small business administration office to inquire about business licensing forms and fees. Register your cleanup business with your state's secretary of state's office if forming a corporation, limited liability company or partnership. Apply for an employer identification number with the Internal Revenue Service to use on all business and tax documentation. Purchase business insurance such as general liability, auto, worker's compensation and property insurance. This insurance helps protect your business in the event of an accident or injury on a job site.

Step 2
Hire employees with construction or industrial clean up experience. Depending on state regulations, employees may need to be bonded to work legally on construction sites. Surety bonds help cover the costs of legal fees in the event of a lawsuit or settlement. Require potential employees to purchase surety bonds from licensed insurance providers and ask for a copy of surety bond certificates for your records.

Step 3
Purchase construction cleanup equipment and supplies. Equipment may include small bulldozers for removing heavy construction debris, industrial garbage bins, window cleaning supplies, wood, metal or stone cleaning supplies, brooms, dust pans, window cleaner, metal polishing chemicals and safety equipment, such as dust masks, first aid kits, uniforms and hard hats. Lease or purchase a company vehicle for hauling cleanup equipment.

Step 4
Contact local construction companies, janitorial services, property management companies and renovation companies to market your services. Create a brochure that outlines specific and general cleaning services, before and after photos, contact information and hours of operation.

Dam Excavation
post #15 of Old 11-25-2015, 03:39 AM

Best of luck
post #16 of Old 03-08-2016, 06:17 AM

I have already bought your pdf file, and it has great info in it, i thought the cleans should average out about .15 at least, then add any extras in there, but not sure how much to charge for extras or how to come to that magic number on what to charge for extra stuf, like 2 story house, how much extra to clean windows, lots more labor and equipment used doing that. will pricing be the same for all cleans? prob not, bc some take longer than others. and if i go back to clean extra, how much to charge there...
post #17 of Old 03-26-2016, 06:32 PM

Charlie Brown
Remember to consider the extra time for high work
So, yes it will cost more
Keep track of all of the time on each job you do.
Even things like the number of trips you have to make, as construction cleaning
is not usually completed in one trip and some cleans require you to work over a
few days time.
So track everything
Trips
Time spent cleaning an average bathroom
etc,etc
You will start to identify the various tasks that take the most time,and cost you more to buy chemicals for and/or pay labor on.

http://selz.co/1MugaHl
post #18 of Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

i agree you should def. get insurance
post #19 of Old 07-07-2016, 11:56 PM

Very informative post. Thanks for sharing.
post #20 of Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 AM

Hey I literally had the same question! Thanks for posting!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode