Beer, the answer to my problem, and possibly the cause - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Beer, the answer to my problem, and possibly the cause

Well, ive been living on this side of the world for so long ive forgotten what real American beer tastes like. Over here in Japan you can get wonderful brands like Kirin, Yebisu, Asahi, Malts, and a few others. My friends visiting from the Midwest summed up Japanese beer flavors as similar to stale Miller or Bud. I think that means its bitter but no real flavor. The only way to drink Japanese beer is ice cold, because if it gets warm your in for a very unpleasant surprise... What do all of you drink out there? I could really go for a nice cool Michelob Amber Bock, or a Left Hand Breweries Milk Stout...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM

Gave up drinking a long time ago, but if the whim hit me.. Yuengling Lager, Fosters, McEwan's Ale and if I was feeling like a rich man.. Chimay Grand Ale at $100 per case.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #3 of Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

I could go for some ale, but the last time I had Yuengling was many years ago when I was in college and we were on spring break in VA, its nice when your friend has a farm, and beer is cheap. A case of beer here, starting with the cheapest kind, is $50. A single can ranges from 1.50 to 4 depending on what you want. And the horrible part is that the '"imports" arent usually imports, especially if their big names like Guiness, especially Guiness. They are formulated for the Japanese taste, which means thinner, and less flavor... ack. But the upside is being able to walk around with a beer in hand and relax on warm summer evening with friends on the river here. Gave up drinking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 PM

I just outgrew drinking. It never made me feel good, especially the day after. I prefer to be clear headed.

PressurePros, Inc
post #5 of Old 05-30-2008, 08:06 PM

I am not a drinker either. On those few occasions that I do indulge I am usually found with a some type of girlie drink
post #6 of Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
I am not much of a drinker but I like a good cider ale. I also like the fruity microbrews found in our area.

I am more of a Yucca girl. You have to be a hasher to know what that is. Now, ask me what a hasher is and you'll get a kick out of my social life. LOL

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #7 of Old 05-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Torrey have you been smoking the plant life again
post #8 of Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
Torrey have you been smoking the plant life again
Hahaha! I guess I could be taking 'green' to a whole new level, but it's not really what comes to mind at first. However, fun IS involved.

Hashers are part of a long tradition dating back to it's roots in 1938 in Malaysia. We are basically a drinking club with a running problem. There are H3 clubs across the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

Our local group, the Tidewater Hash House Harriers, have over 200 members. We are a wild group. We hold a lot of events...one of my favorites is called "TITS": Tubing In The Shanendoah

I have yet to participate in a nekkid run though. I am not that brave.

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #9 of Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 PM

To add...
if you read the above, you will understand why I like to "down-down" with the Yucca. It takes 30 minutes to properly make it and it's soooo good.

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
post #10 of Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 AM

Yucca is some serious stuff, but you're right it is good.
post #11 of Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungee View Post
Yucca is some serious stuff, but you're right it is good.
Tip for first-time Yucca drinkers (I am certain you can attest to this theory!)...

If you keep at least one hand in the grass at all times, you won't fall off the edge of the Earth while drinking it.

Most keep themselves on all fours to be safe.

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
post #12 of Old 06-03-2008, 05:03 PM

I'm going to skip the Google search and show my ignorance. What is Yucca?

PressurePros, Inc
post #13 of Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 PM

One orange, sliced or cut into wedges
Four lemons, sliced or cut into wedges
Four limes, sliced or cut into wedges
One cup of sugar

Fill a one-gallon glass jar with ice, sugar and fruit.
FILL TO BRIM with vodka.

Place tight lid on jar. Wrap jar in towel and shake for 30 minutes. When the towel sticks to the jar, you are almost finished..

If you don't shake it, you don't share it. Everyone helps shake it.

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
post #14 of Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that sounds pretty tasty. I might have to try that this weekend. Since im on a budget, and beer here is expensive... It sounds like jungle juice from college though. There was a few different recipes, but the best one usually involved: A collection of fruits (apples, oranges, lemons, limes, watermelon), a bucket (perferably big), one or two pounds of ice, and whatever liquor people brought. We'd take a bucket, cut up all the fruit and toss it it, then add the ice, some koolaide or other juice mix, put some water in, then just start pouring bottles in. Things like white rum, vodka, occasionally everclear, liquors, mainly whatever people brought. They would come in, dump their bottle, take a glass, and start enjoying. By the end everyone was a little bit (rather a lot bit) trashed, and the fruit was like alcohol candy.
post #15 of Old 06-03-2008, 09:19 PM

I was a fan of "hunch punch", AKA Jungle Juice. The best part was the fruit. You could get sauced just eating the fruit!

Try that recipe exactly as I have it. You will truly love it! It's very good and you hardly taste any alcohol. (though that's one of the drawbacks too)

And don't forget to put one hand on the ground at all times so you don't fall off the edge of the Earth. LOL

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
post #16 of Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 PM

I only really drink about 3-4 times a year but when I do watch out. I am an idiot and everyone is my bestest friend. I have a method that has worked for me that does not give me any sort of a hangover. It is bud light and buttery nipple shots (yummy). I have no idea where that name came from....Anyway, no matter how many I have I am always good to go the next day. Other than exhausted since I am usually out all nite.

Kendra
Busy Bees Cleaning Services
www.busybeesclean.com
post #17 of Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendra View Post
I only really drink about 3-4 times a year but when I do watch out. I am an idiot and everyone is my bestest friend. I have a method that has worked for me that does not give me any sort of a hangover. It is bud light and buttery nipple shots (yummy). I have no idea where that name came from....Anyway, no matter how many I have I am always good to go the next day. Other than exhausted since I am usually out all nite.
If I ever imbibe (which is about as often as you, Kendra) I found a trick too...

Down a Goody's powder and drink two bottles of water. Good to go the next day.

Torrey Shannon
Cleaning for Heroes
post #18 of Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, I dont think ill post how often I drink, though I have cut down. Living over here is kinda like being in college. Drink with customers, drink with friends, drink with strangers... you can get the picture. We got a great cure over here too, its a drink called Ukon (pronounce it like you want), and supposedly it has a root in it that helps prevent hangovers... its pretty hit and miss if you ask me, depending more on the mix that you drank then the root. Either way, its still a great way to kick off the night, with everyone drinking Ukon, you know its going to be a long night. Then again, usually the best hangover cure is to have some of the hair of the dog that bit you... which reminds of a time I passed out at a friends bar around 3 or 4 am, woke up at 6 (i think), walked to the counter to see what was up, only to be greated by a "good morning shot" of tequila. Didnt have a hangover after that, but then again I dont think I was sober either...
post #19 of Old 06-05-2008, 10:16 PM

I remember those days. I would go out more if I had time. I have been trying for two weeks to just go to the freakin movies. I need a life other than work and school.

Kendra
Busy Bees Cleaning Services
www.busybeesclean.com
post #20 of Old 07-14-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Well, I just got back from a two week trip to the US, and man did i enjoy the selection of beer. The first week was in Alabama, where i drank about 5 different kinds of beer including amber bock, corona, flying dog, Amstel, and a belgium white, thats not including the traditional bud light, bud heavy and busch light. The next week was in wisconsin, where, ironically i drank less beer. I had some linenkuegals, dirty bastard, and a few imports i cant remember the name of. I had forgotten how much I missed the selection in the US. I almost cried when i bought beer in japan the other day.... oh well, back to the grindstone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode